“nice place to laze by the pool”

Phi Phi Andaman Legacy
Ranked #18 of 64 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We got a bungalow. It was all right. Not outstanding, but it had the basics. Clean. A small fridge. Two bottles of free water every day. Bathroom was okay, shower pressure was low. Toilet was on a pedestal, that was odd. Wild cats all over the place.
The free breakfast was decent. A spread of croissant, toast, coco puff cereal, fried rice, and fried noodle. You can order eggs if you want.
Mosque right next door, so you can hear the early morning prayer, but it didn't bother us too much.
Pool was nice. I spent a lot of time at the undercover area beside the pool, reading or just chilling out.
Is it overpriced? I guess so, our friend found a place for half the price that had the same level of room. But it didn't have a pool. =)
We did look around to see if there was any cheaper places we could move to, but it was pretty full up when we went, so we ended up signing on for another 3 nights at Andaman.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 18, 2010

The lobby of the hotel makes the hotel look to be the upscale hotel they wish you to think it is with their prices. Once you get to the rooms and the pool area you soon learn it is not the case! For 3 of us, it cost $90 USD - expensive for SE Asia. The cleanliness of the rooms was doubtable - I had to unclog the drain of plastic debris and hair in order to allow the water to drain. The back of our bungalow faced the mosque so once the loud, drunk and obnoxious travellers down from us decided to shut up and sleep at 4:30, we had some peaceful quiet for an hour before the call to prayer started.

The pool area had rusty nails exposed and along the pool edges a rough, gravel like surface - perfect for scraping one's body on. I doubt the pool area is cleaned often as first thing in the morning while selecting my lounger I noticed many cigarette butts scattered between the chairs.

The breakfast is terrible - instant coffee, ants floating in the milk for cereal and stale pastries along with the usual fair for a buffet. Oh - and WIFI is 2 BAHT/minute.

I would NOT recommend this place to anyone..

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Laura R
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Phi Phi island is a great place and I sure would go back, not back to Legacy though..

This hotel is not cheap and we booked the standard room in the 3rd floor. The room and the resort are well kept and quite clean. We had a ocean view from the balcony.

Like most hotels in Phi Phi, it does not has its own private beach and not on beach side.

The staff are OK, but when we asked for a hair dryer, they said none, which is quite unacceptable for a place where every visitor will go into the sea.

When I need to make a phone call to Phuket, the phone in the room could not dial directly and has to go to the reception for 10B per minute.

For the price I paid, I expect better from this resort.

Not impressed so far.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We stayed in the newer section of this hotel, which I recommend if you choose to stay here as the older villas did not look very nice at all. All in all the Andaman is an ok hotel. It has a good location (everywhere on Phi Phi is within walking distance). The main living area of the hotel room was nice and quite spacious with a good balcony (ours was the third floor so we had ocean views). The bathroom was another matter – the shower rarely had hot water, there was no ventilation at all and you couldn’t flush toilet paper (but this is apparently common on Phi Phi). Room cleaning wasn’t done for the first few days, which wouldn’t have normally worried us except it was raining when we arrived and our room therefore became filthy quite quickly. The breakfast was terrible – in fact we only ate once of the four mornings we were provided breakfast. The mosque next door is quite loud at a very early hour each morning and if you’re a light sleeper it might be a problem – luckily it wasn’t for us! Overall - if you get a new room in the Andaman it’s a safe bet you’ll have acceptable accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We stayed in Phi Phi for one night only and unfortunately this was the place we chose to stay. The staff were rude, dissinterested and un helpful. We paid $80AU for a decrepit "beach bungalow". The safe was broken, the lights didn't work, the bed looked like it had been slept in and to top it all off there was blood stains on the toilet seat - I know, gross. We couldn't believe it. We asked to be upgraded to the better room as the man at the travel agency on phi phi island had showed us pictures of the better room, which we agreed on. The receptionist left us waiting for almost 20 minutes before announcing we could be upgraded however would have to pay an extra 500 baht... there was no way we were staying in the bungalow and we had to settle down somewhere as we had activites planned for the day so we paid for the upgrade. The new room was okay, no proper shower and loads of mozzies. The breakfast the next morning was nothing short of depressing. I couldn't wait to get out of this place. What a dump.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petitfille
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I’m an easy to please guy. It’s the small things in a hotel that I like. Like, for example, no ants in my bathroom. So when I found an ant farm going to town on my toothbrush on my first night at the Andaman Legacy, I wasn't happy. Strike 1! (see attached pic).

Strike 2 was the prayers getting blasted from the loudspeaker 5 times a day from the Mosque right behind the resort. I wish I could post a video so you could hear how loud it is. And no, this has nothing to do with the fact they’re Islamic prayers. I object to any loudspeaker placed directly behind my room.

The final Strike was just the bare-bones level of the room in comparison with the room rate. I’d read reviews that this place was overpriced, but I didn’t know just how much so until I'd walked just 2 minutes farther up Long Beach and found rooms twice as good for the same or almost the same price. Strike 3, I’m out of there.

But wait, Andaman Legacy is like the Hotel California: You can check out, but you can never leave! On my first night, when I politely asked for a refund of my next night’s stay I was told, “Sorry, it’s our policy never to refund money.” I asked, “Even when a customer is not satisfied?” explaining my ant farm and so on. I was told that they would be happy to move me to another room, but they would not refund my money. When I said I was going to give them a blast with the virtual shotgun on Tripadviser, the woman in charge (with amazing English skills, incidentally) basically told me that they didn’t care – that I could to do whatever pleased me. I mean, why should they care? They had my money already.

Having said all that, I want to say that the staff on reception were exceptionally nice. And the grounds are very well kept. The pool also looks nice, although I didn’t use it: when I fly to one of the most beautiful islands on the planet, I spend zero time on the grounds or in the pool.

The verdict:
Buyer beware. Andaman Legacy insists on all payment in advance, but if you are disappointed (as many previous reviewers have been), they will not refund your money for any reason. As for the standard rooms, they are overpriced given the quality compared to the ones farther up the beach. The grounds, however, are nice, so if you are a stay-on-the-resort-grounds type of traveler, you might like it here. Just check first before you hand over your Baht.

Note that for people new to Phi Phi, I’ve uploaded a map with an overview of the major beach areas, best views etc. I don’t like wasting money, but I’m not worried about spending more for a stellar view, in the comfort of an air-conditioned, hot water, ant-free environment. If that sounds good to you, too, then the beach to check out is the one just up from the Andaman Legacy, past the Hippies Bar. Phi phi is one of those places that really makes an impression on you – so it’s worth finding a place just as memorable to stay. Andaman Legacy probably isn’t that place.

PS: Andaman Legacy Management: If you’re reading this review, your staff was great and the grounds are nice. But you will always have customers who find problems with your resort. Giving a prompt refund might mean a loss of one night’s revenue, but it also shows that you are customer-service oriented, and this is very important to most western travelers.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
6  Thank tokyomike55
Reviewed April 13, 2009

i stayed in a bungalo at this resort in april and paid 2000thb (high season price) . i know phi phi is not the cheapest island in thailand but these rooms are overpriced. they are fairly old and are very basic all over. they have a/c and tv (no cnn bbc world etc) but are facing a really nice pool. it seams a bit of renovation is underway so i may have come at a bad time.
the breakfast buffet was very good though and the staff all very helpful and friendly.
it's about a 10 minute walk from the main pier and there ia a beach bar close by.
that particular bar does play very loud music well into the night (3am) and it can be annoying in the rooms closest to the front.
there are plenty of restaurants and shops etc close by.
most expensive place i stayed of 3 hotels this trip.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends