“It depends what you're looking for...”

Tropical Garden Bungalows
Ranked #42 of 66 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed there on a 'couples holiday' whilst travelling. For this reason I would rate the room we stayed in as poor. It very small, no space whatsoever especially for simple things like unpacking bags, it was very basic and quite claustrophobic. There was a lot of noise too, after all this area of Phi Phi island is for part-goers.

However if I was here on a partying holiday with mates, whereby I'd be spending most nights out drinking and too drunk to even remember what the room looked like... then I'd probably rate it as pretty good, because it provides you with a roof and a bed to crash on when you need it.

I personally wouldn't spend another night there because it didn't suit our needs; we're not really the partying type (I know I know, it's Phi Phi!). So to be fair to Tropical Gardens, and I agree with the previous poster, they are a charming little complex of bungalows, and it has a suitable restaurant, but just not for everyone.

Like the rest of the island though the prices are very much 'western' and therefore expensive. We've stayed in nicer beach bungalows on our travels that were actually on the beach, and for less than the 1200 Bhat it cost us to stay here. My advice would be to shop around for the best deal on Phi Phi as the prices are definitely negotiable, depending on length of stay etc.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Teerapongn, Owner at Tropical Garden Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our bungalows, we really appreciate your opinions and are glad to hear that you found the resort to be a charming little complex of bungalows with a suitable restaurant. We are not sure which room you stayed in, we have a choice of different types of rooms and bungalows with fan or air-con, to suit different budgets and needs. We were interested to read of your thoughts on the island, and agree that there are a lot of parties going on, though fortunately far enough away from our resort, to make our location a more peaceful one. There are, on the other hand, also great opportunities for couples or families wishing to see the beauty of the island; such as boat trips to uninhabited parts of the island, snorkeling and diving excursions, which can be organised with our reception staff. Thanks again for your comments and feedback, we hope to see you again and wish you all the best.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I can see that Tropical Garden Bungalows has not been so popular with other travellers, and I think this is unfair! I stayed here with seven other girls in February this year, and it was one of the highlights of my trip. We stayed in one of the basic bungalows, and whilst it certainly was not the height of luxury, it was quirky and I loved it more each day.

It is basic, but for the price it was fairly reasonable in an otherwise very expensive part of Thailand. The location is great, high up and away from the noisier parts, but easily walkable to the party centre if that's what you are after. There is a little library with books to borrow, a lovely pool that felt like a Roman bath, and they even send people to the port to collect you and carry your bags up the hill when you arrive for your stay. The rooms themselves had mosquito nets, which I found was quite a rarity in the other places we stayed, and our shower was attached to a tree trunk that was growing into the bathroom, which I thought was great! The barman seems a little gruff at first, but as you chat to him, he warmed up and soon was playing music for us and getting us to sing karaoke.

The only downside to the bungalows was a very vocal cat that liked to meow late into the night, and an eagle that for some reason was in a cage next to our room and liked to call out a lot. That, and the bats, that liked to surprise you by flying at your face as you came back from a night out. As a wildlife lover, these were all excellent perks for me, and added something a little extra to the experience!

Overall, I think this place is a bargain and ideally suited to those who are laid back types and not expecting five star accommodation and plasma televisions. If you want a few laughs in an unusual place to stay, give it a try!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ilovethunderstorms

Thank you for taking the time to review our bungalows, we really appreciate your lovely comments and are glad to hear that you found our bungalows to be charming. We are glad that you mentioned the sea eagles, we have rescued them from a street hawker who was keeping them in very cruel conditions and using them to charge tourists for a photo. One of our staff members has been training them to fly off and come back for food, as we had originally hoped that they could be returned to the wild, but we are now not sure that they would survive as their hunting skills are clearly quite limited due to the long time spent in captivity. We also worry that they may be easy targets for unscrupulous hunters who would find them easy prey. So we feed them well, fresh fish from the local fishermen and try to give them as good a life as possible. We do sometimes still spot wild sea eagles flying around our resort, which is an amazing sight, they are such beautiful creatures.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed on Phi Phi for two nights in march 2013. We booked at a travel shop as it was very busy after full moon, cost us 1800baht without breakfast. Luckily we only paid for one night but ended up finding somewhere else as I couldn't stay there. On arrival the man and women behind reception were rude and very unhelpful. She showed us to our room the door was very dodgy, no safe, the sink was hanging off the wall in the bathroom, no power from the shower just a trickle, toilet didn't flush, the beach sheet was an over sized towel. The list goes on, re reported the sink so they couldn't say it was us and mentioned about the shower n toilet. They said they will fix it but again were very rude. Me and my boyfriend ended up paying and staying in Phi Phi hotel instead. I would not of felt safe at all in the bungalows, when checked out he asked why and said no refund. I wasn't actually even bothered just wanted to leave, after our move I realised that my visa had been taken from my passport which the man at reception had taken and copied. The room looked nothing like the pictures avoid at all costs!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Saw pictures. It looked ok. Charged 1600b with air con a night.

What a scary place. Stayed in a room of a building built on stilts. When you walked along the hall the floor squeaked and I got the feeling it would topple at any minute.

Pool was really dirty. Breakfast not included. Bathroom disgusting. Walls paper thin and could hear everything the neighbors said.

Went for a walk the next day, found a better place, fan, 800b. Much happier.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We booked here for two nights end january 2013. the price: 76 euros for two, without breakfast. upon our arrival there was nothing of the traditional thai warm welcome. the room was appalling. a vary strong smell of mould and actual mould to be seen on the walls. naked wires hanging from the ceilings. holes in the ceilings. dirty and grubby bedsheets and pillow cases. as blanket an oversized bath towel. no tv as seen on the site where we booked this hotel, photos of the room look nothing like the real thing once you see it with your own eyes!! Shower leaking all over the place and the pressure was bad to start with. we obviously complained to the very unfiendly lady at the reception and the answer given was "you saw it on internet, you saw the pictures" there was no telling her that the pictures did not correspond with the real thing. we hated our stay there, i have also sent photos of the state of our room to the booking site who in turn are looking into it and have talked about compensating us for this. to be followed......

Room Tip: my advice would be to stay away from this dump.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sonia r
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed here over New Years Eve, basically because we couldn't find any other place to stay on Phi Phi at this time (BOOK as far ahead AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE for this time of year).

PROS+: location was PERFECT for partying, we were close to all the bars, beach parties, muy thai boxing, restaurants... the LIFE of the island. The price was average. We didnt have any bedbugs (some of the reviews here made me worried about this, but thankfully we had no problems with that). Staff were very friendly. We had AC in our room and the bathroom had hot water and was perfectly functional.

CONS-: walls were paper thin... we could hear the guy in the room next to us vomiting and moaning after drinking one too many buckets on NYE. We could also hear him arguing with his girlfriend pretty clearly. I did get flashed by one of the other guests who decided to walk out of his room butt-naked, and then went back in a hurry once he saw me walking up the stairs (this wasnt that much of a con though, just made me laugh). But if that kind of thing would bother you, then just note it. The room wasn't the nicest or the cleanest I had ever stayed in, it was pretty average... just 2 beds and a table and a lamp. The bed was kinda lumpy and hard. No view of the beach or anything, you just overlook the area and other bungalows. No nice beach to swim within walking distance.

All in all we went to party so this was an OK choice for that. So if you just need a basic room to put your stuff in while you party... then stay here. If you want something better, do a little research and book ahead.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Its located off the main area in Koh Phi Phi Don which is nice because it's quiet and secluded at night. The rooms are big but dont have AC or TV. The hotel has a pool which is small, but koh phi phi isn't known for awesome beaches, so it's nice to be at a quiet pool. They always have a library which is fun to hang out with friends and other patrons.

Room Tip: try not to get a bungalow by the pool if you want quiet during the day
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends