“Worst place I've ever stayed ...and I've stayed in some holes!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Chunut House

Chunut House
UK
“Worst place I've ever stayed ...and I've stayed in some holes!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stupidly thought I'd save some cash and book cheap on phi phi don ...I regretted it as soon as I turned up. Think of glastonbury toilets after 5 nights of 100,000 people camping and eating dodgy burgers...I would rather stay there! There were rats, YES RATS, biting at the wooden hut walls, you could hear them all night noring away. Bed sheets had blood stains and were ripped up. Staff refused to move our room even though they had plenty available and I offered them more cash. On top of that you had a building site opposite and those guys work hard and loud from 5am to 11pm. You also has to walk through the islands cesspit/dumping ground without any street lights and just a few local drug users around which was pretty worrying at night.

Spent the 2nd day visiting every other hotel on the island, but all were fully booked. Thankfully was only staying 3 nights and was able to get some sleep on the boat trips, etc. Be warned!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toulouse, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

I did not find the staff very friendly, especially the main woman who is most of the time at the reception. Their English is very poor, that might be the reason.
They did not have my reservation and told me there was no room.
Luckily I had all info with me to prove I had made a reservation and even paid for it.
So make sure you have your details with you just in case of.
The room is really nice, large, wood floor and roof, air-co and fan. I had the hut 9. Just on top of reception which was ok as they go to bed early. I was surprised how quiet it was based on the fact there are a lot of people partying etc. So good to sleep. You hear the people in the morning but that is tolerable. (I mean the ones who work)
The bathroom is really cool, huge and with natural light and bamboos. It was very clean and hot water is working well. Indeed when you check in they tell you to close the door for the mosquitoes. I did so at all time and it was fine. I was a bit worried at first because there is no mosquito nest. But after 5 nights 0 bites! The wifi works very well.

Down side is the breakfast, really unattractive. It is better to book without and go somewhere in the city.
Same here I had a last minute promo so it was worth the price.

Room Tip: You'd better not be close to the walking path.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

We booked this because of Lonely Planet but then made the mistake of reading the reviews on here before we arrived. We were a bit scared! When we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised. It was rustic and pretty and the staff were lovely. We were in hut 7. Perhaps the rooms aren't as nice as the huts?

It wasn't luxurious but for the price we paid we weren't expecting that.

The best bit was it's location. Being tucked away but still central it meant that we could quickly pop back for a shower after being in the sea and still not hear the late night parties going on.

Having stayed in Ko Phi Phi a few years ago and paying for an overpriced room at the far end of the beach after a steep hike up the hill I really appreciated staying at Chunut House

• Stayed February 2012
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

The location of this hotel is good, beacause is quit, but near to the 'movida'; the rooms are very nice and romantic but absolutely dirty! We had sheets dirty with blood for all three days we stayed. The bathroom is out the room and is large, but the roof is partially open so it's a entry for the fierce mosquitos. I found a cockroach in my suitcase!
The breakfast is very good and staff very polite and helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

In retrospect, we shouldn't have been staying in this part of Phi Phi. I am no longer the drunk 19 year old Australian I once was, and Phi Phi town probably would have held more appeal for me back then than it does now.

Still, we booked what we booked and what we booked was Chunut House.

We were put into room 10 on arrival. Hint - request anything else...it's right on the pathway, noisy, and has a thin wall to an adjoining room. We requested a change, and on night 2 were put into the far nicer room 6 up the hill a little. Better all round. By bungalow standards, it was nice enough.

As others have noted, the walk into the noisy-bit is flanked by a dump on one side and a sewer on the other. Less than pleasant. Breakfast consists of some fruit, a toaster, and a woman frying eggs. Not much.

However the saving grace for us was the service...they were really great, super helpful on everything we asked, sorted out tours and all kinds, and really went above and beyond for us, and this was greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: dont book room 10, get a bungalow up the hill...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank toomanymatts
Kanazawa-shi, Ishikawa, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Not what we expected, but we liked the exotic garden and decoration, also the location is very good and it's not noisy. Our room was not the bungalow what made us very disappointed, but for one night it was ok.

Room Tip: Rooms in the bottom is not bungalow, just a simple room.
Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hove, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

When we arrived our first reaction was that people were very nice and friendly. The room was not what we expected. We paid for 2 nights but decided to leave after one. On photo's it looks fine but in reality it is something else.

• Stayed October 2011