“Great location”

P. P. Palm Tree Resort
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I absolutely loved Phi phi! The palmtree resort is in such a good location. Only a few minutes walk from the pier and the centre of all the shops, bars and restaurants. The beach is just a small walk away but def worth a visit as the pool is nice but quite small and sun beds are limited. The rooms are clean and nice. Couldn't really fault the hotel as it was exactly what we wanted.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The resort is in a great location. It's a 10 minute walk to the beach on the north side of the island (the prettier of the two main beaches) and only 5 minutes from the port. The down side of being in the dead centre of town is the noise, which goes on all night; not even the air con unit was capable of drowning it out.

The main problem I had with my stay was the staff, who were unhelpful, particularly Hub who was rude to us on more than one occasion. The receptionist always greeted us politely, but would then scrutinise when we were going to return our beach towels, and if we had been smoking or taken guests in to our room. I thought this was unnecessarily intrusive. Check-in was also a very slow process.

On the plus side, the breakfast was god. Plenty to eat, and it was all really tasty. Omelettes are made on-demand. The pool facilities are good, fairly quiet, which is in contrast to the beaches. It's a nice place to relax when you need to cool down.

The wi-fi connection was intermittent, but maybe that was because my room was on the far side of the hotel. Rooms were cleaned to a high standard. The shower was poor, it would switch from scolding hot to freezing cold in an instant; the temperature control didn't seem to have any influence at all.

Overall, I felt it was expensive, and we didn't get value for our money. One final point: the gym isn't on site, it's at another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garysco7
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was lovely and very good value for money. The breakfast was really good with a lot to choose from. Everything was really clean. Was very easy to find. All the staff were very friendly. Would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The P.P. Palmtree Resort which is also listed is the same place as this hotel so I am posting this review in both listings just so people don't get caught out like we did.
I have lived in Thailand for 7 years and have travelled widely with my family around this amazing country. I cannot think of a hotel experience I have enjoyed less in all this time. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were treated with utter contempt by the staff. Our room was dark, gloomy and smelled disgusting. If we had not paid in advance we would never have stayed here. As it was, we checked out after two because we couldn't stand it any longer. I notice from the reviews that other families have received similar treatment to ours so I suspect that the simply do not want children staying at this hotel. If this is the case they should be more upfront about it.
Phi Phi itself is pretty rotten and the Phi Phi Palmtree is even worse. If you are looking for a nice holiday with your family go to Koh Lanta or one of the other islands.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank bangkokmum
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel. The room is a bit small but is enough for us. The decoration is o.k, but the pool is apsolutly great!!! We stayed all day at the pool. Such fun and without direct sun.
The breakfast boufette is great, has verity of choices, thai and also european food style.
the hotel is at the center so it's close to everything, but still quite.
so many restaurants, and about 5-7 min walking to the sea.
We enjoyed our staying and it's our second time in thiland, we came back to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Good location, very organize, very clean and everyone is very polite, and always reciving you with a smile. rooms are nice and clean. The quality and the hotel presentation, is good and the exotic traces are so good to your view. how the hotel is, with the swiming pool almos in the center of it, gives you a feeling and need to jump in and enjoy the water as you can.
Simply amazing!

Room Tip: quality vs price, is so very good! and localization is also very good.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We only stayed here one night but we had a very good stay and received very good service.
My friend I was travelling with got food poisoning (not from the hotel) and we had to extend our stay, and the girl at the front desk was super accommodating. We didn't even have to pay extra (in spite of the harsh signage at front desk).
I read the reviews before we went there, and I suspect that the people who had issues with the staff here either had attitude, or were trying to talk themselves out of something. But, that said, it was the same girl every time I went to the front desk, and she was a little brusque the first time I spoke with her, but gradually softened the more I chatted with her. So my tip here is: be really nice to the staff if you want something. Or if you might want something later, be super nice anyways.
The room was really nice and really clean. The bathroom was one of the cleanest we had in Thai hotels. It was a bit weird to have a window from the shower into the bedroom when you're travelling with a friend, but I've seen that before. It was CLEAN, which was so nice.
You had to get the front desk people to warm up to you. They're very brusque at first. I hear this is a party town full of drunk college kids, so maybe that's why? Does everybody just treat them mean? I don't know. But they were nice after I talked to them a bit.
The pool at this place is in a courtyard, and it's freakin amazing. If I go back, I'd get a poolside room. So gorgeous. But cold. The weather wasn't that hot when we were there, so maybe that's why, but we just dipped in the pool and had to leave because we were freezing. Also, there's a swim-up bar that looks like it has never been used. That's weird, right? if this is the party town, you'd think a pool side bar would be a great thing.
Lovely hotel, clean rooms, clean bathrooms, excellent service. Yay!

Room Tip: Get a poolside room! The patios go right into the gorgeous courtyard pool. So sweet!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends