“Nice hotel, gorgeous pool, good price & location”

P. P. Palm Tree Resort
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
“Nice hotel, gorgeous pool, good price & location”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We only stayed here one night but we had a very good stay and received very good service.
My friend I was travelling with got food poisoning (not from the hotel) and we had to extend our stay, and the girl at the front desk was super accommodating. We didn't even have to pay extra (in spite of the harsh signage at front desk).
I read the reviews before we went there, and I suspect that the people who had issues with the staff here either had attitude, or were trying to talk themselves out of something. But, that said, it was the same girl every time I went to the front desk, and she was a little brusque the first time I spoke with her, but gradually softened the more I chatted with her. So my tip here is: be really nice to the staff if you want something. Or if you might want something later, be super nice anyways.
The room was really nice and really clean. The bathroom was one of the cleanest we had in Thai hotels. It was a bit weird to have a window from the shower into the bedroom when you're travelling with a friend, but I've seen that before. It was CLEAN, which was so nice.
You had to get the front desk people to warm up to you. They're very brusque at first. I hear this is a party town full of drunk college kids, so maybe that's why? Does everybody just treat them mean? I don't know. But they were nice after I talked to them a bit.
The pool at this place is in a courtyard, and it's freakin amazing. If I go back, I'd get a poolside room. So gorgeous. But cold. The weather wasn't that hot when we were there, so maybe that's why, but we just dipped in the pool and had to leave because we were freezing. Also, there's a swim-up bar that looks like it has never been used. That's weird, right? if this is the party town, you'd think a pool side bar would be a great thing.
Lovely hotel, clean rooms, clean bathrooms, excellent service. Yay!

Room Tip: Get a poolside room! The patios go right into the gorgeous courtyard pool. So sweet!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colleen S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Thailand
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I have lived in Thailand for 7 years and have travelled widely with my family around this amazing country. I cannot think of a hotel experience I have enjoyed less in all this time. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were treated with utter disdain by the staff. Our room was dark, gloomy and smelled disgusting. If we had not paid in advance we would never have stayed here. As it was, we checked out after two because we couldn't stand it any longer.
Phi Phi itself is pretty rotten and the Phi Phi Palmtree is even worse. If you are looking for a nice holiday with your family go to Koh Lanta or one of the other islands.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank bangkokmum

Travelers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The decor was gorgeous in the room, we had a suite, small for the cost. It is a ten minute walk from the ferry & the beach-- a little hard to find. If you get a room by the pool beware, you will have NO privacy! Upstairs, it's old-fashioned motel-style as you enter from a general balcony. Something at breakfast the first morning upset my husbands tummy- for the first time (we had been eating all around Thailand and especially Bangkok, for more than a month) The staff were not helpful when we complained of this brushing it off as something else he must have eaten. Next time in PP we will get a hut on the beach... and avoid the fresh fruit served.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IslandAmber
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Terrific hotel with a great pool, quiet rooms, friendly staff and a super location on Koh Phi Phi. We stayed in a room overlooking the pool on the third floor. The room was very nice with good air conditioning and comfortable beds. The staff were very diligent about keeping non-guests off the premises in the evenings, which made it feel very safe. Although there is a lot of hustle and bustle right outside the building, inside it was tranquil and comfortable. Breakfast buffet was good and staff always have a stock of fresh beach towels for guests. Don't count on the wi-fi working 100% throughout your visit - but heck I say, why not leave your phone/tablet in the safe and go enjoy the beach!

Room Tip: I believe most rooms overlook the pool. Some of the ground floor rooms are 'swim-accessible'...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

The Palmtree is in a fantastic location and is walking distance of the beach, bars & restaurants. When we arrived our check in took at least 20 minutes and seemed to be done in slow motion, especially as we were exhausted from travel. We were then given a long list of rules and told to enjoy our stay....

At night the music from the beach parties could be clearly heard. This wasn't an issue for us but may be for others. We were also subject to interrogation by security every time we arrived home at night. Night one was okay, but by night four...not so much...

We booked a poolside room which was spacious, clean & air conditioned. The pool area is nice & the pool itself is nice for cooling down but is too small for swimming.

The breakfast was OK and was the only time we saw food or drink being served in the hotel, although we were so close to cafes and restaurants it didn't matter.

I feel we were overcharged by booking online going by the prices of other places being advertised when we arrived on the island. I think if I were going to phi phi again I would wait until I arrived to book something.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank AKoalaBear
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for 5 nights. The location is superb - close to everything and no noise from the bars and clubs. Very comfortable, spacious room with a huge king size bed. Shower only but plenty of hot water.

The reception staff were always friendly, helpful and polite. The wifi was pretty erratic - on and off during my stay but that's really no problem as most restaurants nearby have free wifi. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
hobart
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Overall the Resort was fine, not bad but not overly good. I am a travel agent, and have been to many hotels, and one thing that really let this hotel down were the staff. The reception staff were very slow, with limited English, they didn't explain anything properly, and just seemed like they didn't care at all. There was 1 circumstance where we had locked our key in our room, we were told that there was no way to get into the room without a key, and we would have to pay money to get another key, however because our key was not lost, just in our room, we couldnt do this because the payment for a new key was only for people that had lost their key? after arguing, they finally let us in with their swipe, it took 2 seconds, they just didn't want to help. The rooms were quite small, but they were nicely decorated and clean and comfortable. The shower was almost impossible to shower in and made a horrible mess of water sprayed all over the bathroom floor. The pool is small but fine. The breakfast choice was limited but all tasty. The location is great, right in the heart of Phi Phi Town, and a quick walk to the beach. Overall the stay was good, but the staff could definitely improve.

Room Tip: Ground floor room, as hotel has no lifts.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends