“Nice, functional, cheap.”

and 1 more site!
Pirates House
Ranked #13 of 64 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I turned up here without a booking and got a nice twin room. Friendly english speaking staff.

Room had aircon and TV and was fairly sterile (no carpets, or dirty corners), although I like that rather then a place full of geekos and bugs.

Generally nice and clean, quiet and really central to the island. The shower didn't look great, it wasn't too bad but I think the walls of the wet room were plaster and didn't look great.

The bars was a cool place to hang out and meet people. The food was ok, mainly western and (middle?) eastern, althoug who cares about the food when you have about 20 bars/restaurants within a minutes walk.

Room Tip: Ask to have a look at your room before booking/paying. I think that is fairly typical in Thailand.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Pirates House

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Okey, you know its gonna be noisy since its 3 meters from the loudest club off the beach in phi phi, so thats a given. And when you see the rooms you know they're small, the "balconies" are almost a joke. You could literally not sit two people on them. and you can not stand 2 people there because the AC is mounted to low.

The best thing about the place is the Pirate-theme, the location and the owner. The drinks in the restaurant is okey if a little overpriced for their size, but the food is terrible. Level of englishspeaking in the staff is not great either.

We had some trouble with the fridge and the aircon but got compensated for it after asking.

The music in the bar (Dojo) across the street stops around 1am. before the forget about sleeping.

If you're here to party its generally a great place if your deamnds are not to high and you skip eating in the reasturant. And if you alone and standing on the Balcony:)

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for Balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I went to eat here, the place looked nice but the food and the employees were terrible!! I had a pizza and my gf a pasta, her portion was so small, it was unbelievable!! The portion had the size of a fist! When we told the staff that her portion was too small, they just said that it was supposed to be small!

My pizza, well, you can't really call it a pizza, seriously, my 'pizza' was a disgrace for all pizza's! It was more like cardboard with about 7 pieces of ham the size of a fingernail. This cardboard plate had no taste whatsoever, a real cardboard plate would have had more flavors I think.

Of course we were not going to tip for one of the worst meals of the year! But, when we paid, they didn't give us our change! We actually had to ask to get our money!!

Don't eat here!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This place was great, and located in the heart of everything. The room was spacious, clean and the bed was comfy. Always had hot shower and wifi was very good.

The restaurant downstairs has a really cool pirate theme and serves lovely Thai, western and Indian cuisine. It also serves by far the best coconut shake on the island.

The staff were all very professional and friendly. They made me feel very welcome and would go out there way to help.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Terry_br
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The food is very bad. I had chicken chilli there. It was one of the worst I had in Thailand. Not spicy at all and the rice was just cooked too long.

Originally I wanted to eat a burger, but they were out of beef. Also Fish was not available. It took them always 20 minutes to figure it out and tell it to me.

Staff itself was nice and helpful and the drinks were good. But this place is really not good for food!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I went there a couple of times only to eat. I am a vegetarian so I ordered a pizza each time - once a margherita and once the veggie pizza. The margherita was okay-good, the veggie was okay. The first time the service was quick. The second time not so quick even though I was the only one waiting. Took about 30-45 minutes for the pizza to arrive. The cocktail I had ordered (I think it was a margarita) when I went there the first time wasn't nice. The staff was friendly. The interiors were nice. But the place was dead. Everytime I visited there or went past it, it was pretty much empty. Only one or two tables would be occupied. An average place to go.

Room Tip: Didn't stay there. Only reviewing for the restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Having read some of the reviews of this place on the internet both before and after my stay (many in suspiciously shoddy english...) I immediately questioned who may have written them. During check-in (the only time the staff ever spoke to us, and even then it seemed like they were doing us a favour) I noticed some rather damning similarities between the language used by our host and the reviews on websites such as this. Well, I was indeed fooled. This place is an absolute hole. When we arrived, our room and the landing had not been cleaned. When we left, our room and the landing had not been cleaned. There was blood, vomit, many MANY cockroaches, faeces-stained toilet paper...and that was just on the stairs and the overflowing bins outside our room. Air-con was broken. Restaurant is absolutely depressing and the food made my friend chronically ill. Wi-fi never works. Please never stay here. When my friends and regale tales of the worst places we have ever been, I always throw this one into the mix. I don't mean to be harsh, and I am not looking to get a kick out of listing the faults of this place, I simply feel that the managers deserve it, for letting this place rob people blind. OH and they charged us double what we were expected. 25 quid a night EACH for this place is purely evil. I still can't get over it, makes me angry. In two words, hellaciously disgusting.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends