Pirates House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
PP Charlie Beach Resort(Ko Phi Phi Don)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Phi Phi Palm Tree Resort(Ko Phi Phi Don)
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
P. P. Palm Tree Resort(Ko Phi Phi Don)
  • Pool
Phi Phi Banyan Villa(Ko Phi Phi Don)
  • Breakfast included
PP Princess Resort(Ko Phi Phi Don)
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Phi Phi Hotel(Ko Phi Phi Don)
  • Pool
Harmony House(Ko Phi Phi Don)
  • Pool
Phitharom Phi Phi Resort(Ko Phi Phi Don)
Average 3/5
  • Free Internet
All reviewsindian menulong island iceyellow currychicken tikka masalaplace to staypad thaiasia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 9, 2012

To be fair the negative reviews that I've read here are pretty much spot on, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the overall review needs to be terrible, or that it's not a suitable place to stay. I took the small room (number 2) - others might be different. Let's look at a couple of points:

Room standard and cleanliness - frankly, not great. There were a few bugs crawling around the bathroom, but nothing major. The place could have used a better sweep, and there was hair around in the bathroom, but the sheets were very clean which is always a good sign. There was AC, but it took me a while to figure out that it was blowing cold air and not just circulating the existing air - if you need your room cold, then it's no use - Personally, I prefer a moderately warm room (25-27 degrees), so it was fine for me. There was a television that I didn't use and lights beside the bed that didn't work; apart from that, the room was pretty bare. There was a weak wifi signal that worked (just) by the window but not 2 meters away on the bed.

Security - pathetic. The owner had told me that there was a safe box - there wasn't in my room (the small room), although maybe he has one in reception. The door lock was a joke frankly. Since I was expected to pay 1000 baht if I lost the key, I decided to leave it in the room and use a cardboard business card instead - seriously! - you could open the door in less than a second with a cardboard business card, not even a plastic credit card. There was a bolt on the inside for when you were in the room, but anyone who felt like walking in an taking things while you were away could easily do so. I did not have anything stolen, but I would not feel comfortable leaving valuables there.

Service - Konal, the owner seemed like a decent guy, genuinely trying to do his best to please customers. However the staff in the restaurant are pretty useless, and they seem to be "responsible" for the guesthouse too, but it's clearly an annoyance for them. One of them in particular (maybe his son / nephew?) is just plain surly. I didn't see a single smile from any of them, nor any desire to help customers in any way at all. I did see customers leaving in frustration at the lack of service though. When I came to check in, I was told to come back in an hour or so and when I also tried to check out at 8h30, there was nobody to be seen - everything closed up and boarded. However, as I said, Konal was good and helpful, we communicated by SMS and all was fine - he was easy going about me leaving my bag in the room after checking out and also borrowing a towel for my boat trip (after the checkout).

Food - I cannot vouch for the standard of the food since I did not eat there, but I can say that it takes a while to arrive judging by the customers I saw cancelling their orders and leaving. Having seen the kitchen / washing up area, I'm glad I didn't eat there!

Noise - Yep, it's true, you will not be able to sleep before 1am even with Ear plugs. However, if you're planning to stay out for a drink or two (the beach bars go on until much later), then this is irrelevant.

Value - well, this is not bad I guess. I paid 1300 in high season, which is about half the price that I paid for one of the "resort" type places on the previous night, where the noise from the beach bars was audible at 3am or later. Sure the standard was lower than the resort, but the location was better for me, and at half the price. In Phuket, or Krabi, this would be a 500 Baht room really; however prices in Phi Phi in March are high.

Summary. If you're looking for a fairly cheap place in the centre of town, don't need to sleep early, and have no expectations for service, security or cleanliness, then this place is actually a decent option. However, if any of the above things concern you, then you're probably better off spending a bit more and heading elsewhere. Personally, I think I can get a better deal elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Timontheroad
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed there for 2 nights, and had booked 2 rooms.

This is simply the worst place where I've stayed in my whole life (and I'm not used to luxury places, just clean ones...)

First, the smell. When you arrive near the stairs, to go up to the rooms, it simply smells like [--]... (and the smell is pretty strong)

Then , the general dirt of the rooms is pretty bad. Towels are stained (which is logical, if you consider that they are left on rusty towel rails... The sheets have holes, and not too clean looking either.

Now, the wildlife.

In our 2 days/2rooms, we found a total of 6 cockroaches, which we killed. And a lizard. Which we got out of the room (we later realized that she would have kept him, as he could have eaten the roaches!)

Last thing, the water. The water heater wouldn't work, and one day, we simply had no water, cold or hot....

Overall, a pretty bad experience ... and no, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2012

The hotel is right in the middle of town about a restaurant. The service was awful, they were rude and particularly unhelpful. The rooms were tiny, dirty and many things in the room were broken. The worst thing about this hotel is the noise.mit is absolutely impossible to sleep until after 1am, when the bar accord the street closes. Sleeping tablets will not help either, so if you want to sleep at all do not stay here! The place is very expensive for what it is!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I'm sure this place would be fine if you just wanted a base from which to go clubbing - it is opposite the loudest bar in Tonsai! The music does stop at just after 1, but if you are in the room before that time you may as well be in the club - it is so so loud, and the bass vibration was awful. Ear plugs do nothing. We had booked a diving trip one morning so wanted a good sleep before our 5am start... It wasn't going to happen and made us both feel really ill the next day.

Our room was not particularly clean - the bathroom in particular really needed a good bleach... There was hair blocking the plughole and the previous occupants hairclips in the shower tray! We also found two cockroaches. The bedding was badly stained and desperately needed replacing. They also urgently need to replace the steps up to the rooms - some are very loose and pretty dangerous, take it slow when you come home drunk or risk a broken ankle...! Oh and don't lose your key or lock it into the room - they don't keep spares, so the staff (easily) broke in using a credit card...

There are plenty of other similarly priced places where you could do better and be a little more out the way of the noise.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I really like this place from rest of the hotels in Phi-Phi. I almost had no problems in anything. I don't know why some people exaggerate the things. We should remember that we are in Asia and have to adjust little bit with their culture. And it is very important we think positively when we travel and smiles and be thank you to all the beautiful people we meet and bring lots of good vibes and times and FEELINGS to all the wonderful people of the world.. I hear soon Coffee on the Island of Phi-Phi will be serving The best coffee on the planet Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.

Highly Recommended!