“The best food, the best beach, the best ambience!”

Mai Pen Rai Bungalows
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I enjoyed staying at Mai Pen Rai Bungalows a lot. I was staying at beach fronted bungalow, so the view from my bed was a marvel. They are aving the best food at their restaurant of all I've had on Ko Phangan (delicious!!!). people workng there are extremely nice and friendly. The beach is empty as there are only few bungalows and it is located in the middle of jungle, so not many people visiting this idyllic place. Besides geco's and bugs there are monitor lizards living in the little river right next to the bungalows, so you can observe them :)
Bungalows are very plain, however beautiful nature and jungle life really pay you off all small inconveniences (like finding a nasty bug in your towel every time you want to take a shower...)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dominika B

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I only have good things to say about Mai Pen Rai. My friend and I are traveling through Thailand for a month, and this is without a doubt out favourite place amongst the ones we have visited.

Access:
Getting to Mai Pen Rai is not nearly as complicated as other reviews imply. Admittedly, the road is a bit bumpy, but certainly not a scary ride - just make sure you have a scarf or tshirt handy to cover your face as it is quite sandy!

Location:
Mai Pen Rai is located on a secluded beach in the natural park of Koh Phangan. You cannot compare the beauty of this spot to Thong Sala or Haad Rin... It simply is beautiful! The jungle is behind you, the ocean in front of you. The beach is clean, the sand is white and the water clear. There even is a little lagoon filled with giant lizards.. Amazing!

Staff:
Fiona, the owner, was extremely accomodating, allowing us to book a beach bungalow even though it appeared as sold out online. She helped us arrange our transport and even called us back a couple of times to make sure we had found a car and were not being ripped off. The thai women working at the restaurant are delightful and Bao, one of the men workers, was incredibly kind and helpful, even offering to buy us tea and spices from the market when he went to town!

Rooms:
We stayed in a beach bungalow. The room is spacious and clean. The patio outside is very enjoyable, especially thanks to the hammock provided. The bathroom is just fine, the hot water runs properly. Our mosquito net did not have any holes as some other travelers reported below. There are a few small bugs around, but nothing more than youd expect while living on a beach.

Restaurant:
Honestly, the food is delicious! There are a wide range of dishes offered on the menu (both thai and western), and we enjoyed everything we tried! Big plus - the prices are only slightly more expensive than street food in Bangkok! Great

Overall:
You will like Mai Pen Rai if youre looking to get away from the most touristy spots of the island. You wont see any teenagers in neon tshirts drinking buckets here, which we found quite refreshing! This place has a vibe to it that cannot be described.. We extended our stay for over two weeks now, and are dreading the moment we'll have to leave! Highly reccomended!

Thanks to Fiona and everyone working at Mai Pen Rai for making this one of the most enjoyable stays we have ever had!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Diane S
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have just reviewed a different bungalow resort as totally un-authentic and terrible customer service. Well the Mai Pen Rai couldn´t be farther from the other resort (the Shambhala Koh phangan btw). It´s on the East coast of Koh phangan, bad track road to get there but when you get there, you won´t be disappointed! Like most of the other guests you will want to extend your stay,. Bungalows are actually built in the rocks (cost of around 1000 bahts per night (€22). Like in this part of the island, you will have the choice of beach or jungle side. Really breathtaking bathrooms in the rocks - Confort is not what this place is all about, it´s rustic and stylish. A dreamy paradise beach with hardly any boat passing so calm and quiet. For what to do, the main place of interests are the water falls, 15mn walk away, little else around. WHen we it comes to food, we (my 2 boys and partner) are thai food lovers so tough cookies on judging it, well we give the Mai Pen Rai the highest note of our thai trip! The only resort which not only did the classic dishes amazingly but offered a truly amazing breakfast, own baked bread and even..yes brace yourselves...home-made donuts.., The price, saying it´s cheap for the amazing quality doesn´t do it justice!! for Do I need to say more.
The service, where do I start... Most guest end up extending their stay and I have seen them accomodate each and everyone, always with a smile on!! On our leaving day, the "Manager" a lovely young thai lady, suspected that the taxi wouldn´t be on time, got up and organized one for us! Excellent customer service... We loved you Mai Pen Rai, you do Thailand proud and will come again whenever we can!! Thank you so much!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank jamilaee
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Really loved our stay here, very relaxing, quiet and peacefull. Bungalows by the beach, their restaurant is on the beach. The beach here is not crowdy at all and the water is clear, like a small community at Sadet. The bungalows are basic and tidy. Stuff were very friendly with everyone. The road to gt here is a bit scary and you'll surely need a 4wd but its part of the adventure. If I ever visit Thailand again my holiday would sureley be here at mai pen rai bungalows in Sadet.

Room Tip: Beach front bungalows are the best
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StephanieBorg
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Bungalows located just off the beach, seems like a resort with it's own restaurant. Downside is the road, however you can also get there with taxi boat from Haad Rin or Koh Samui for 350 Bhat. 10 out of 10.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank CharlonMLA
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

My stay at Mai Pen Rai was fabulous. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The beach is quiet and clean and the water beautiful and deep enough for a good swim. It is truly one of the prettiest places I have ever seen.
My bungalow was unique and comfortable with a wonderful view. When I accidentally left my insulin there the staff put it on a boat and got it to me the next morning! I can't think of anything to complain about at all. I hope i get to return some day.
Please don't ruin it!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Absolutely loved our time spent at this relaxing retreat. Stayed in a beautiful new beachfront bungalow and was lulled to sleep by waves lapping against the shore. The porches have hammocks which provide a great place to watch the ocean. The Scottish-owner Fiona is so friendly and helpful & makes you feel at home straight away. I could not believe how delicious the meals were. I would recommend having a massage here in the open-air hut by the river. The man had magic hands. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
#13 of 383 in Ko Pha Ngan
Bottle Beach 1 Resort
Bottle Beach 1 Resort
#41 of 91 in Ko Pha Ngan

Been to Mai Pen Rai Bungalows? Share your experiences!