“Great place to stay for Full Moon Party!”
Review of Coral Bungalows

Coral Bungalows
London, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay for Full Moon Party!”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

A couple of friends and I stayed for 5 nights over the Full Moon Party period and before we arrived we were all really wary after having read all the bad reviews about the bad/rude staff. But I'm not sure where all these reviews are coming from! because for the entire time we were there for, they were friendly to us, chatting to us when we were sitting by the tables/pool and gave a reasonably good service (can sometimes be a bit slow with food orders). The food was average but really cheap which was a nice change as we were in Koh Samui before and food was quite pricey where we were staying.

Before we settled into our rooms, we had an inventory check with one of the staff members to make sure everything worked as it should and that nothing is broken/missing. The rooms themselves were good, beds were comfy and the bathroom was basic but functional. We had to book the rooms with aircon as the 'just fan' rooms were already booked up; the aircon worked as it should.

Another plus is that the hostel is right on Haad Rin Nai beach and a short 10-15 minute walk to the 'main' Haad Rin Nok beach. I had no problems with the pool as it was clean, even the morning after a pool party.

As it was low season when we were there, the first 2 nights, the pool parties were ok but were lacking in numbers. The night before the Full Moon Party was a lot busy and we had a better night out compared to the previous nights. The hostel had arranged free transport to get to the Full Moon Party which was convenient.

Bad points:
There wasn't any secure place inside the rooms to keep valuables (they had safes behind the reception desk for a cost), however the staff shouldn't have any reason to go into your room because if you wanted anything cleaned/changed then you take it down to reception yourself, thus we didn't feel the need to use the safe behind reception and nothing of ours got stolen.

Expensive wi-fi which hardly worked most of the time (better to pay the extra and use the internet room by reception). We also had to get our own toilet paper which we knew about before arriving. Yes it should have been included but wasn't so much of a big deal for us as there is a 7/11 store about 5 minutes walk away.

Everywhere around the hostel had signs letting you know of the extortionate fines if you were to break/lose anything or if you went into the pool out of hours. Thankfully we didn't break anything! Just be careful/don't be idiotic and you won't have to worry about the stupidly high fines.

Finally, we had to book 5 consecutive nights as a minimum. Not sure if that's what they normally do or if it's because of Full Moon Party but along with the rooms being quite pricey already meant we had to pay 7500THB for 2 people.

In summary, a few minor niggles but it didn't really detract from an overall good experience with friendly staff (despite most of the reviews saying otherwise!), ok cheap food, good pool parties and great location for the beach/Full Moon Party!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I'm writing this from my Coral Bungalow room before I check out. I'd complain to the Manager but I doubt I'd make a difference for future customers. So- BE WARNED of the cute thai reception woman at the front desk with a tiny voice. She will ignore you for hours if there is a young male customer to flirt with. I waited a half hour for her to notice me. When I called her name, she ignored me. I arrived to pick up my laundry and the only clothes I had were the clothes I was wearing. I don't care if staff flirts, but they should when other customers need service. I saw her later that night drunk with the young traveler she was flirting with earlier. I'm not returning here again. Aweful service.

• Stayed October 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Love this place. The staff were so friendly, and everyone comes out at night for drinks and laughs. Not to mention that it's right on the beach! I don't know what the rest of the reviewers are talking about, the staff were so lovely and chatty when I was here. And what's with the photos of the toilet paper signs.. you don't flush your toilet paper anywhere in Thailand, their sewerage systems don't account for toilet paper. You put it in the bin.. it's easy to get used to after a while!

Room Tip: Book before you go.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I'm not going to elibrate on how rude the staff are because it seems most other reviews have covered that quite nicely, but also they charge you for everything, wifi, toilet paper and anything else that we have never been asked to pay for at any other hotel. We were also afraid to touch anything because the long list of fines they threaten you with.
We very much enjoyed the pool and it is a nice walk into town to the main center, so if you want to bank some cash for a few days its good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We really hate this place ! We arrived late a night in Haadrin Nai, so we couldn't choose a better place to stay. The most terrific experience we had in Thailand. Great place to party in the swi,,ing pool if you want, but it s not worth to stay over for a single night. The staff is auwful, and threat you like child. In the meantime, we were scammed because we went to the swimming pool at night and had to pay loads of money. I would never recommand this place at all !!! AVOID IT !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I can't really think of one positive thing to say about this place. On the whole the staff weren't nice at all, the rooms weren't nice, the restaurant was like a school dinner hall, the music at the pool party was terrible (and I do actualy like dance music), you have to pay for the wifi, and it is restricted to a limited area (not your room) AND I certainly wouldn't hire a motorbike from them, we sat outside reception the day of our depature and they basically looked for and found someone on nearly every bike that was brought back in order to fine the person, absolute disgrace. We've been on Koh Phagnan a wee since and there are far, far, far better, nicer, friendlier places to stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tambarineman
London
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were nice and basic, although very dark and dingy. The food is really cheap but shockingly bad!! Drinks prices are very reasonable and the atmosphere in the bar area is really great.

The staff however....are miserable as hell. Very unwilling to be helpful and always trying to demand additional money for anything and everything. (Regardless of how long you stay, you are only allowed one toilet roll and one set of sheets)

Overall I would say you can get better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013