“Fabulous resort ideal for young families,great beach and ideal location”

Salad Hut Bungalows
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Fabulous resort ideal for young families,great beach and ideal location”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Salad Hut was recommended to us by a fellow South African and it turned out to be a great recommendation,the rooms were a stones throw away from the beach and a short walk from some great Thai massage places.The Bungalows were basic and clean all you need for a beach holiday.The food was great and well priced , breakfasts really good and so was the coffee.
Whilst you are there you must visit Jangs restaurant which is next door to Salad Hut.
She also does a great cooking course which I did,she is a fabulous cook.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Koh Phangan / Haad Salad

The beach offers white sands and if it is ok for you that it is not too long and not to wide you might like this place as it is very clean with not too many rocks in the water - if you are in for long walks on the beaches that are at least 100 meters wide and a few kilometres long or invite you to follow some tiny paths into the woods you'd better find some other place. If you decide to come to Haad Salad you will need a motorbike or taxi to go to some other place on the island

The resort

I think this is the best resort on this beach - best value for money but also in total. We stayed there for a week and had to find some other place for two nights before we continued our trip so we looked at all the resorts on the beach.

Owners and staff were very helpful, bungalows had a spacious balcony which offered a table, two chairs, and a bali style day bed, a hammock which they wash after each guest, and still enough space to feel comfortable. The bathroom is very clean, shower and toilet are separated by a wall. The main room is as spacious and clean - a place where everyone feels comfortable at once. There are some resorts on the beach which cost more than double which do not offer this. The difference between fan and ac rooms is just the fact that in the first case they don't give you the remote control for the ac. The only thing that is missing is a mosquito net but you might get one at the local super market.

I personally do not like laying on beds around the pool but I have to admit that also this area of the resort is a place where most people don't find anything to criticise - its a good place if you are bringing your kids - which some customers do.

Food is one of the biggest pros in this resort, at nighttime the restaurant is always full and it is sometimes hard to get a table for dinner as many people from other resorts come there to enjoy their delicious food.

The resort has a small supermarket at its entry, they rent kayaks for 100 THB/hour, they also have snorkelling masks. In front of the resorts main entrance is a thai restaurant run by a thai and an australian guy who offers cooking classes - they took us to the market for shopping, and then we had the chance to learn our favourite thai dishes.

Koh Phangan is not my first choice in Thailand, but Haad Salad Hut is the best choice for that beach - you can spent a nice time there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlexanderAT
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed December 17, 2010

+ Very nice terrace, great food and breakfast, nice and clean bungalows, nice waiters

- bathroom: when you shower the whole bathroom gets flodded, no warm water. The bungalows stand very close to each other, so when the kids get up (definitely a family resort) sleeping is over. The lady at the reception was only interested in money.whenever i asked here something she first said how much it would cost and then give me the information. It's only a small detail, but annoyed me.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank fraeuleinwunder78
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We booked the Salad Hut after a friend recommended it. Then we saw a bunch of negative reviews (before we arrived) and wondered if we'd done the right thing. No fear, the place and our experience over ten days there this August was magical and I'd have no hesitation in going there again. We ate great food in the stylish but incredibly laid back restaurant - the breakfasts and coffee in particular are really good. We swam in the small but perfectly formed infinity pool, and chilled out in the evenings on our own verandas or in the bar, sipping chang beer or playing pool. It was idyllic and quite repetitive but in a good way - if you need to relax, this is the place. There isn't much to do on salad beach generally, but if you have kids and are trying to get away from it all I can think of no better place. Spectacular sunsets, a few wild storms, a very warm sea, cheap beer and good food. The beach is a very safe place for kids to swim and snorkel. I even got ours out in a kayak.

I was astonished to hear that some people found this place to be unfriendly. We experienced nothing but warmth and kindness. At times the place is like a crèche, with staff playing with the kids whilst grateful parents sip on a beer and catch up on their holiday reading. The manageress could often be seen cradling a newborn (yes there were several very young babies here) in the mornings whilst mum and dad tucked into breakfast. Two incidents that took place I hope will convince you of just how much the staff went out of their way to help. The first was when my partner became ill, and I needed a pharmacist. Instead of ordering a taxi down to the nearest town, one of the staff insisted on driving me herself even though she was on a break. It was a 45-minute round trip and afterwards I had to practically force a couple of hundred baht into her hands such was her reluctance to accept anything. Another night, my son lost his teddy somewhere in the grounds. Again the staff took great interest and went off looking for it, even wading into the fish pond by torchlight to see if it fell in! After I had given up and my son had gone tearfully to bed, in triumph one of the Salad Hut crew found it and the whole place erupted in cheers. Seriously, how can anyone call this place unfriendly? All week I saw similar small acts of kindness. with only ten bungalows, you get to know the other guests quite quickly and everyone seemed to have similar stories. The rooms are very clean - in fact the whole place is very well looked after, with gardeners, maids and carpenters going about their business each day - even the beach directly outside the main restaurant is swept every morning. Yes there are dogs on the beach but they are docile and though I told my kids to avoid them, I never saw or heard about a single incident. Also, we found the beach to be very clean. The salad Hut along with Cookies is easily the best bet on the beach - both are small, personal and serve very good food at good prices (Cookies has the edge on the food I'd say). The only thing that was slightly unwelcome is the payment in advance issue - HOWEVER, no one demanded anything from me for 2 days - in fact all I got was a polite request to settle the bill 'soon' and was happy to do it - 2 or 3 days into our stay. There was no pressure. I can well understand why they might do this with only ten rooms and in the current climate where there simply fewer travellers around at the moment but to be honest I saw several similar notices in other places and most bungalows had a rule that you had to settle up once a week regardless. I hope this has been helpful. The Salad Hut was fab and I hope you have a good time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Leeds, UK
Reviewed September 19, 2010

My husband and I were originally booked in a hotel/resort at Haad Salad, which we hated, after a walk down the beach, both of us feeling very disappointed we happened across the Salad Hut. We popped in to get a drink and gather our thoughts, our honeymoon appeared to be ruined and we were both feeling pretty low....

The coffee was great, the ginger tea awesome, we both thought 'hang on this place is really cool', we noticed they had beach bungalows we sat and mused for a while and then my husband went to ask if they had any accommadation - they did and suddenly our honeymoon was instantly transformed....

The absolutely wonderful O sorted our transition from the flea pit to Salad Hut, we stayed one night in the deluxe bungalow and spent the remainder of our honeymoon at the bungalow next door. The bunglaows are great, clean, everything you need, air con and we loved the hammocks and day beds, perfect for spending lazy evenings gazing out to sea!

The thing that made Salad hut for us, and made it the most special place we have EVER stayed was the wonderful staff, they were all awesome, but in particular I should mention O, Lin and Jid who all went above and beyond to make our stay at Salad Hut the most incredible experience ever, we just loved it and we will without a doubt return.

The food is great, fresh, well cooked and tastes amazing, Jid arranged all our excusions and arranged an awesome bunch of red roses that my husband gave to me in the bar on our two week wedding anniversary. We loved the chilled out, laid back atmosphere, it was perfect. We stayed at a beautiful luxurious resort the first week of our honeymoon but we much prefered the laid back ambience and the fabulous, friendly staff at Salad hut. If you are seeking peace and solitude it's maybe not the place to go as its a family friendly place but we liked the sound of happy children playing. The newborn puppies were there too while we stayed and caused NO problems at all.

I could go on but I think you get the idea, we loved it, I cried when we had to come home and every day we plan for the day we can return to see our friends at the Salad hut and see those breathtaking sunsets while chilling in the bar - shiny happy people indeed!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2010

The most beautiful and friendly resort I have had the pleasure to experience. The staff went out of their way to meet every need, from boat trips to Bottle Beach to a trip to a Black Moon party! The food was delicious every night with both Thai and western dishes available; we mainly stuck to Thai and the som tum was especially yum. Massages next door for equivalent of 4 quid not bad either. The polar opposite of Hat Rin and a little bit of a trek, but if you're after getting away from it all, this is the place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Our stay in Salad Hut was one of the highlights of our trip in Thailand. Due to:

-the cool, clear pool (for a real swim in the sea you have to walk a long time in low tide)
-The restaurant: location is perfect (ofcourse with seaview/spectacular sunset), breakfast excellent and everything on the (extensive) menu is fresh and tasty.

The bungalows were on the dark side (anyway, you are only there to sleep) but clean and spacious. We loved our own verandah. Th only small disavantage is that they are very close to each other, so once outside of the room you don't have much privacy.

Staff was very friendly and efficient, especially the young man with his hair worn in a tail....

The beach is great especially in the evenings with all the coloured lights, the small fires, the lounge cushions etc. Like a luxurious hippy paradise :-)

We were very happy in Salad Hut!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family