“Lovely place”

Salad Hut Bungalows
Golden, Canada
“Lovely place”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Room 10, "deluxe beach front", a bit more expensive but well worth it. Lovely room. Right at beach, windows to the ocean: wonderful yet private. Other rooms are beside the pool, screened from the ocean by vegetation. They are fine if you are out a lot; but we wanted to sit at "home" and relax, so we were glad to have the beachfront room with the view from the balcony.
I wish that an electric kettle had been provided in the room.

Food in the restaurant was excellent. Pool was nice, but not a great attraction for adults (lots of children present).

The beach area seemed excellent for families with children. The beach was small, maybe 500m long, blocked at each end by rocks and forest, so children could roam a bit but not too far.

One caveat: a jack-hammer as at work intermittently for 2 out of the 4 days of our stay (July 8-12). The manager just shrugged when I mentioned this city-like intrusion. I would have liked to have been told that this work was underway near the Salad Hut. After all, I can hear jackhammers all the time in my home city (in China, where construction is everywhere). The management had my email address. I think they should have let me know of the possibility of construction noise, and its extent, before I showed up for my reservation. It would be a nice gesture for the management to offer even a trivial free drink one evening by way of small apology. (I realize that the construction was on another site, not at Salad Hut; nonetheless, it was not a surprise to the management).

Room Tip: Room 10, totally beach-front
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Cape Town
Reviewed July 4, 2013

On arrival. The entrance was really nothing what we expected.... So it's just proof not to judge a book by its cover.
We travelled with all three our kids - so perfect for this type of vacation. We stayed a week.
Beds comfortable. Super friendly staff. Really helpfully and with out a doubt the best Thai food we have experienced. They make really good western food too. The speed at which the food is prepared is also unbelievable.
The beach is nice, but the swimming is a challenge due to the coral. But there are places where it is pleasant, especially when the tide is higher.

All in all- a great stay for a lId back break and would return. If you are looking for fancy amenities then this would not be for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen874
Ferntree Gully, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am at this moment, writing my review on my beautiful verandah, I have bungalow 10, and it's perfect!
I have the best views, and so many places to relax.
The restaurant serves delicious, well priced food. I have tried other places to eat , but Salad Hut is my favourite.
I am traveling solo, and have been welcomed by my fellow guests and staff alike.
The gardens are lush and give cooling shade, the sea breezes are gentle.
I would love to come here again, it is perfect for me.
Well done Salad Hut!

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are good, there are only 12, but of course I love mine best !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Salad Hut is an amazing laid back place in a nice and quiet spot of Koh Phagnan. The bungalows are very decent (although missing some space to put your suitcases) and the veranda offers multiple relaxation modes (hammock, bed or chairs). The hotel is small (about 12 bungalows) and cosy and all but two beach front bungalows are grouped around the pool facing the bay.

The hotel is very child friendly and half of the guests staying there were families with kids, which made the stay more pleasant for our daughter who could play with all the other kids.

• Stayed May 2013
Seattle
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Didn't stay here -- a little out of my price range, but I did eat here and it was outstanding. I had the Laab Kai: ground chicken, red onions and herbs in a spicy dressing. This was one of the very best versions of this dish I've ever had. The chicken was perfectly cooked and the dressing was very spicy -- as it should be -- but not outrageously so. Best meal I had on Koh Phangan.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Gorgeous bungalows. Loved hanging in the hammock. Originally we booked a fan room to save money but showed up to find there were no bug nets or screens on the windows... so we would've been baking in there all night very uncomfortably. Fortunately we had the sense to upgrade at that point--there was actually an A/C unit inside our room already, but if you book a fan only room they remove the remote. The pool was great. There's a lot of families here so it wasn't very romantic at the pool or dining area but that didn't bother us. The breakfast was included and it was the best breakfast I ate while traveling all throughout Asia. They included coffee (with refills) and a smoothie with the a la carte item of your choice. The fruit and yogurt muesli was so filling I couldn't finish. The meals were expensive but comparable to the rest of the places on the island. There was a shuttle to the full moon party but it was way more expensive than the hotel a few doors down. Helpful staff also... my boyfriend stepped on a sea urchin on the beach and they had a stocked first aid kit and offered lots of support.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah_Lynn_22
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel was fantastic. Small, attentive service, great food, lovely rooms, gorgeous pool, fabulous location on the beach. Could not have asked for any more.
The staff here were great with our children and will definitely return

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family