“Paradise”

Ranked #24 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
London
“Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Cocohut was the first place I stayed alone with my boyfriend on our holiday. It took a long time to get to and we were exhausted but it was worth it. The beach was clean and beautiful. It literally looked like paradise. The pool was clean and a perfect temperature. The rooms were good enough. Not amazing but more than adequate. We had some issues with our shower temperature but nothing too dreadful.

There was a nice little hut to have food in or just have a bit of a break from the sun. It was a nice chill-out zone. I did get a bad stomach on my first day and am unsure whether this was down to the food or to just the general lack of being in England but it didn't entirely ruin my stay.

The public toilets by the restaurant were vile and they were clearly right next to the kitchen without the wall going right up to the ceiling but I didn't let this phase me too much.

There was a horrible hill to get to the town but if you could brave that, there were some very nice restaurants close by; one serving a much needed sausage and mash meal! I think it is an Australian bar so look out for it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mel_mels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

I stayed here with 5 friends, we stayed in the cabin bungalow houses wich were perfect! It's such a nice place!! We had our own beach felt like and we could get cocktails delivered to the beach chairs and enjoy! Food is also good here too I realyl recommend trying the Banna Oreo shake...this is to Die for! and about $3 (AUS) but does get cheaper if you get them daily!
Its about a 5min walk fron the Full Moon Party on the other side of the hill which is good as you can actully get some sleep after the party...The Full Moon Party is awesone! They have a dinner that you have to pay for at this place but its good! they really put on a nice lil party before THE party! i would recommen this place....felt like paradise!
We also hired some quad bikes and got around to see that place, not much to see but was fun driving around...just make sure you have done this before of REALLY ask for a quick lesson otherwise they will let you just drive off ! bit scary!
The massages and facials are cheap and great also....these always got daily visits!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

PRO: Very helpful staff. Beautiful sunset. Nice new (small) pool by the Villas. Good quality on the food. Nice little spa.

CON: Smelly towels, hole in bedsheets, very limited breakfast. And a VERY stony beach - you need severe protection to be able to take a dip.

This is a partyplace for young backpackers, not very suitable for families - even though the staff in the restaurant was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I stayed at Cocohut right before the full moon party for 2 nights with my 10 year old daughter.

It is away from the action, which was perfect for us, since the college kids were already streaming in for the full moon party. Everything we needed was right there at the resort, which was absolutely ideal for our purposes.

The hotel is right on a private white sand beach, and has an open air restaurant, as well as a little bar on the beach. It also has a very nice pool, which we really enjoyed. Breakfast in included in the price.

While we were there, I decided to splurge and treat myself and my daughter to a spa day at their beautiful spa facility. The environs were excellent, and my daughter and I both had mani/pedis, facials and massages for $60/each, far cheaper than it would have been in the states. The quality of the services were not as good as I was accustomed to, but they were affordable and the experience was worth it.

Our hotel room was way up on the hill, lots of steps to get there, which gave me a laugh thinking about how people attending the full moon parties and drinking negotiate them. But they were very nice.

My only complaints about the hotel are that the rooms did not include free wi-fi, it was an additional charge. Given that the hotel rate is in excess of $100 a night--which is quite expensive for Thailand--I felt like Wi-Fi should be included. Additionally, the people at the front desk were downright unpleasant when I asked them questions, or for information about the area. And, be prepared to have them tack on an additional 5% to your bill if you pay by credit card.

Other than that, very happy with my stay,

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

I highly recommend this hotel. It has everything from inexpensive rooms for backpackers on a budget to very nice villas with their own pool. It has the most beautiful beach in the south of Koh Phangan. It's close enough to walk to the full moon party but far enough to get you away from the annoying drunks. The only downfall is the hike up the hill to get to the rest of the town but I think the beach made it all worth while.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed in the cheapest rooms in coco huts, high hill or something they were called. They were small but cheap so no complaints there but really the service was disgraceful. Staff turned up their noses at us when we were walking past the staff area to our room. We stayed for a week and had to request new toilet paper every day which they practically flung at us. We also had to request new towels constantly and ask for new sheets to dress the bed ourselves. Really don't know what the problem was they treated us like vermin for booking a cheap room. (which was by no means cheap by Thailand standards!!!)
The other rooms are all fabulous and the location s perfect. Also the beach/pool area is really second to none, cocohuts is probably the best place to get away from all the full moon madness. However in future i think i would just avoid the place altogether. Even our friends in the best rooms weren't treated very well. I can safely say I never received even close to satisfactory service during my stay. Even the restaurant the staff managed to be dis interested, lazy and unhelpful. Really and truly needs new management, staff and a new culture.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

While the location of CocoHut Village is undoubtably good - within easy walking distance to Hat-Rin - the resort itself was disappointing.

Firstly it is overdeveloped and the bungalows/rooms are seemingly built in the 'pile em high, sell em expensive' ethos. We stayed in the 'Wooden Bungalows' (3200thb discounted to 2000thb) which were all overlooked from every aspect (having the curtains closed all day is not ideal)

Secondly, this is one of those hotels which comes across very quickly as penny-pinching and almost punitive in its pricing/fining; a patronising price list in the room for 'breakages' (35,000thb if you break a TV) expensive WIFI in the rooms, and a 500thb fine if you take your breakfast bowls/plates anywhere outside of the 'official breakfast zone'... we were half expecting to be shaken down for change when we walked back one night.

Thirdly, for something which markets itself as luxury/upmarket, the details just aren't there... providing bath-foam where there is no bath, burnt out lightbulbs in the room, a room-safe which didn't work.... it all leaves a slightly sour taste when you are not paying exactly budget prices.

Overall this seems to cater to full-moon party flash-packers who are either too high to care, or too rich to notice. Your average mid-range independent traveller will be disappointed.,

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends