“Perfect for a relaxing family getaway”

Green Papaya Resort
Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Mangaweka, New Zealand
“Perfect for a relaxing family getaway”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed here with our 18mth old and had a wonderful relaxing time, beautiful pool and great location, I wouldn't recommend staying for more than 5 nights you would run out of things to do, but as a relaxing quiet holiday it was just what was ordered. It was a little on the expensive side too, exceptional breakfast

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Beautiful place to stay. We wanted to treat ourselves for the last two nights in Thailand and Green Papaya was perfect. Our bungalow was right next to the beautiful pool and the beach was just a short walk away. The owners made us feel really welcome and the food was also good. The only downside was the outdoor bathroom because of the bugs.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thailand
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Sorry, about my English... but I really want to tell other tourists about my very dissappointed from this resort.
My friend and I pay a high rate for the best room in this resort, we hope that we'll have a wonderful time here in the salad beach. We booked the room from one of the internet agency, pre-paid and got the voucher before went there.
When we arrived, we met the Thai lady at the reception, told her that we already booked fthe room there with the voucher in hand. She said she never knew before that we'd come, no confirmation from the agency. We insist that we'd already booked and paid for the room, which almost 7,000 baht, she said....It's not her business!!!!!!!!... what!!!!!???!!! I'd paid for the room, walk in with the paper in my hand , but she said , 'it's your business, you should dealed with the agency by yourself!!!!!'. I think she was very impolite, I'm a guest, a costumer...she should treated me better than this. She should call the agency for us to check what was going on, not let us standing there and don't know what to do next in the far away island.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natasha0013
Helsinki
Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stayed at the Green Papaya Resort for one week and had a wonderful time.
Friendly staff, nice and clean room.
Very surprised to read some reviews as it doesn't seem to be the same place...
Had a look on the resorts nearby....you can find cheaper rooms but very different room and atmosphere...
Thank you to Mr Ton, Paula ,Kaew to look after us...we had a lovelytime.
We'll be back next year

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Italy
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I would like to start by mentioning the positive aspects of Green Papaya - the location is OK, I personally loved the Salad Beach, I think the resort is good, swimming pool is clean, garden is well taken care of and the thai staff is really great!
BUT
it was definately NOT worth the money we paid (and on peak season... out of any proportion!!), we've been in much better places in the islands for less money. This was our last location in Thailand and was supposed to be a great ending for our honeymoon... So, starting from the worst, here's what I have to say:
1. On our check-out, when we were leaving the resort, a bill was handed to us to pay for services we ordered. We were surprised to find a charge for 120 baht for 2 cans of beer from the mini-bar, which we did not consume (we never take anything from mini-bars). When we told that to the lady (it's a french lady who we later found out is one of the owners and by the way, was not very kind to us during all of our stay), she just told us that there is nothing she can do (???), and that this is what the cleaning lady marked in our bill (incredible answer for an owner of a place). When we tried to argue, she just stared at us and said nothing - AUTRAGEOUS!!! Not because of the 120 baht, but because when a client tells you he didn't use the mini bar, or anything else, then the client is right!!! I was shocked by this lady's behaviour. I guess it is really not important for her to have her guests coming back or reccomending this place to other people. I certainly do not reccomend. We paid this money, but I regret it now.
2. Already while booking, we were told that there would be a mandatory New Year's dinner for the cost of 1500 baht per person!!! this is of course exagerated in any parameter for Thailand, but we agreed, since the resort seemed really good and we were excited about having a "fancy dinner". Result - we paid A LOT for a dinner that wasn't bad, but wasn't close to being worth the 3000 baht for a couple, and didn't even include wine. We were really disapponted. Once again, I felt they were just looking for ways to take money from us.
3. Like others mentioned before me, our bathroom/shower was opened, and it was almost impossible to take a shower or do anything there without being stung by insects, not to talk about bugs, worms and other animals you don't wish to find in the "cleanest" room in your house. But we were told that there are some rooms with closed bathroom, so there is a possibility (there wasn't any available for us).
4. Matress in bed is indeed really hard, which makes the bed unconfortable.
Besides, in general, the room never felt really clean.

I know it might just be my own personal experience, but I never felt such disrespect anywhere else... I'm really disappointed.
Will certainly never go back there and not reccomend this resort to anyone, they should learn how to treat a client.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NuciItaly
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed December 25, 2009

VERY BAD! BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!! I am writing this review from the Green Papaya resort right now, because I am fuming with disappointment at the huge gap between the price and the value offered. We have paid top dollars for this place and received very bad, incomparable gratification for our money. 200 dollars per night bought us irritation, stinky bungalow, forgetful room service, and the worst of all - sea-doo rental right on the hotel's beach, riding back and forth over the heads of swimmers. When we advised multiple times the owner, the staff, the manager about the dangers of allowing sea-doo riding (some of the riders smoking dope before getting on the sea-doo) among beach swimmers (which included little children doing snorkeling) the hotel owners didn't do anything to fix the problem. As we realized later, the old thai guy working here simply arranged it with the sea-doo guys to run their business on the hotel's beach and the owner is just too scared/ignorant/reckelss of the local thai people to do anyhting about it. Anyways, if there were no sea-doo issue (from 10 AM to 4 PM) the beach IS beautiful and snorkeling IS fun. However, there still remains negligence and reckelssness from the owners (french family) that you cannot expect after paying 4 times more than on any other neighbouring resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Aedna
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed December 12, 2009

The resort is nothing super-fancy. In fact, you could probably do better for the money at another bungalow/villa location if you are looking just for quality of room. But the people on staff are amazing! Wonderful, warm, friendly, attentive - they will make you feel more like a family visit than a hotel visit. Located close to other amenities. The pool and grounds are great and we loved the beach there. Quiet enough to really just enjoy. It was just right to have a restful time on the porch, by the pool or a walk down the beach for a meal. Breakfast on "the boat" is great too.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple