“Small & friendly”

Green Papaya Resort
Ranked #31 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Perfect location in the centre of the small cove. Great for a relaxing break in a beautiful location. The pool villa's were very well designed and the bathroom with is half outside had a bath and powerful rain shower with plenty of hot water. breakfasts were adequate with an eggs to order station and fresh fruit etc and the restaurant served western and Thai dishes overlooking the beach. The beach isn't great for swimming as the tide made it too shallow but snorkelling was ok and the water crystal clear. One of the nicest and most modern resorts on the strip and the pool was just beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank YvonnebDubai

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was our 3rd time in Thailand, we've already stayed in many other resorts before the G P, and this is our favorite place. There is all what you need for a perfect holiday. The staff is attentive but not too pushy, the rooms are extremely clean and cosy, the breakfast is more than enough with the most incredible view. There is a particular care on details that is very rare in Thailand.
We tried the restaurant and I recommend thai food, and their vietnamese spring roll. Cocktails are prepared with love from 3 friendly barmen. This is the place to stay on Haad Salad, far the best. I highly recommend Green P.

Room Tip: Tremendous swimming pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just returned from a 5 day stay at the Green Papaya Resort; we had a very very good time. All staff was extremely friendly, service oriented and the overall atmosphere was exactly what we were looking for. The pool villa we booked was pretty cool, and perfect for our 4-person family.

The pool is well designed and makes your thoughts slow down. The other bars & restaurants right around the corner offer a wide spectrum of food and drinks. Especially at night it is fun to walk along the beach and enjoy.

Room Tip: We booked the pool villa as we had 4 persons. The smaller houses seem to fit for as well. depending...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Planned a 1 night Romantic stay with my partner and wanted to do something special. after much deciding I settled on Green Papaya, wish i'd chosen elsewhere now. The ceiling was mouldy, the jacuzzi had ants and leaves in and wasn't filled - (reception said would take 10 mins, took 1 hour to fill!(and that was cold water!)) No view except for the restaurant entrance/reception (no privacy when using the outdoor shower!) very dark and bad lighting. Knew we preferred fan to aircon - ceiling fan was broken and no extra fan put in room. Driveway is so uneven my bike almost slipped on loose rocks, entrance looks like a building site. Weren't told breakfast finishes at 10.30 (this was included so felt a bit robbed!) Overall come away feeling disappointed and ripped-off. I have live here for a while now and stayed at many different places on the island, I could have got better facilities/service for less money elsewhere on the island. I shall just have to learn from a bad error in judgement

Room Tip: Don't go for rooms with Jacuzzi/Plunge Pool - no view at all and incredibly unromantic! Also it...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Londontraveller91
Elodie280472, Owner at Green Papaya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear Mrs,

We like to hear from our guests so that we can improve in order to make their stay more enjoyable.
We went to check the room you have been staying in and we need to make the following rectifications:
The ceiling fan is working, the switch is located near the switch for the light. The ceiling has been painted last november, under the supervision of one architect and it is white and clean (previously natural color). The tub is very big, we dont pre fill with water to guaranty you take a bath in clean water.
Our housekeeper are working really hard and they would have been cleaning the leaves away if we were advised.
We apologize if you haven't been informed about the breakfast schedule, and for the road access which needs to be repaired.
You are welcome to visit us (as you are staying on the island) if you would like to discuss further, or you can contact me by mail.
Best regards,
Elodie

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just had 8 nights at green papaya , it's been great staff fantastic & could not do enough for you - rooms are not the largest but comfortable - shower/ toilet attached , pool area is amazing , breakfast more than enough coffee is great , egg chef plus some Bain Marie noodles/rice/ bacon - resturant by the beach for sunset or go down to haad salad's many beach bars - I feel very chilled right now !

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Russrusslovemuss
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the green papaya as part of our travels around Thailand. We researched which beaches we wanted to visit on Koh Phangan and Had Salad was one of them. We booked this resort online where we were told we would pay for 2 nights and get one night free in a superior double room.After a bumpy ride from the port to the resort, we were met by a miserable looking lady who claimed to be the owner.When we confirmed the booking we were told that our room would be by the pool and 50 meters from the beach. The room we got was not exactly as described and when the door opened the stench of mold and damp hit me straight away.In fact the smell was so bad that after one night I asked to be moved to a much nicer deluxe pool room. I told the owner the smell was so bad in there to the point that I could not breath properly. She agreed with me but with no apology or offer of another room. If she knew the room was so bad then why put someone in there?I guess the saving grace was that we had the 2 nights for 3 deal and the deluxe pool room was so much better.I had to pay for the difference in price which was fine, but a "sorry" would have been nice.

The pool was amazing as was the beach itself,in fact I think one of the best beaches on Koh Phangan.
The staff that worked there(not the owner) made the resort a lovely place to stay as they went out of their way to make you comfortable. I hurt my leg snorkling and one of the guys there gave me some medicated rub to make my knee better. He was so sweet.

The breakfast was good and there was a great selection of pastries, toast, pancakes and Thai food. The coconut cakes were to die for!!!

The owner did let down the resort as she had "I cant be bothered to help you " attitude and was only there to squeeze as much money out of you as possible. We asked her where we could hire a car and she looked un-interested and not bothered to help at all(not the usual attitude of Thai people ) and she ended up sending us on a wild goose chase to a tiny village which had no car hire at all.I cannot believe as someone who is in the travel industry and runs a business you would not know where your local car hire place would be.We ended up back at the port and hired a jeep after wasting money and time on this womans recommendation.When we told her she just shrugged and once again no apology!

Over all the resort is beautiful with an amazing beach and pool. The staff here are wonderful and the breakfast was good. I did find the lunch time and evening food was not as good, and the Thai street food is way better than food along the beach resturants in general.

Beware of the owner as she is very miserable and rude . When we checked out she tried to charge us for the free water she said we were allowed to have as part of our room. When I said that to her she ripped the bill up in an angry manner and said "never mind" hence why you have to watch what you are being charged for!

I know I have mentioned her attitude throughout this review but its because she spoilt this wonderful resort with her bad attitude, and I would definatley not stay here again because of that. There are far better and cheaper places where nice Thai people welcome you and help you out with a huge smile on their faces!I have rated this poor because of her!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms around the actual the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank disney72
Elodie280472, Owner at Green Papaya Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

Dear Sir,
Firstly I would like to apologize for the lack of care which you have experienced. I am the owner of the resort, but I must inform you that you haven't met the owner as I was not onsite at the time of your stay, though my partner (a Thai man) was managing the resort at this period, and unfortunately the issue had not been raised to him, which I feel very sorry as he would have surely worked hard to restore this poor situation.
Feel free to contact me directly if you wish.
Elodie Natakuatong
Owner

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed for 6 nights here and absolutely loved it. Beautiful clean rooms, great pool, very pleasant staff and amazing gardens. Ong the barman makes the best ice juices we had in Thailand particularly the green papaya, and tamarind and ginger ! The manager (bald guy !!) was also very informative and helpful and hilarious too !
All in all, a wonderful hotel that we'll miss very much !

• Stayed: June 2012