WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #21 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Sydney, Australia
“Perfectly fine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Havana Beach Resort was recommended by the travel agent and I found it perfectly fine. It is hotel style rather than the bungalow style more common along the beach. I was there for 8 nights. My deluxe AC garden room was shady, large, clean, comfortable and quiet and I'll second the comments about the less than relaxing balcony furniture (a minor quibble). The lovely garden is well maintained. Breakfast was included and served in a pavilion overlooking the beach. The quality and quantity of the breakfast was good though I should add I'm not a foodie - so long as coffee and fruit is available I'm happy. There is a bar and restaurant with tables on the sand, the meals I ate were fine. I had the Thai food only but they also serve indian.

When I was there the hotel was half full with older couples and young families (all european), plus a few backpackers staying for a night or two for the Full Moon party down south (warning to full mooners - this place is nowhere near the party). The hotel is on the beach front and I spent all day wandering up and down the beautiful beach, swimming, reading and generally doing absolutely nothing. Only used the pool once or twice, mainly because it was full of small children. But with the beach a couple of metres from my room, why use a pool?

The main comment I have about the Havana is that I was "anonymous" through out my stay, which unfortunately is the lot of quiet, middle aged women travelling by themselves. In a half full, smallish hotel it doesn't take long to work out who the guests are and which rooms they are in, but every day it was as though the staff had never seen me before. I'd checked with reception to see if it was fine to put any meals or drinks on my room tab and was told yes, however after a couple of days when I got up from my table to go back to my room I was challenged not too nicely by the hotel owner as to where I was going. As I had seen him multiple times a day for the preceeding days I found it rather strange that he didn't seem to know one of his guests. I'm a low maintenance guest who doesn't need any special attention but it would have been nice to have my presence acknowledged :( Especially when I saw the owner do the "meet and greet, how is your stay" to other guests while I was there.

That question mark aside, I did enjoy my stay at the Havana and I would definately go back.

I'd happily fgo back to Koh Phagan, adn yes I'd stay at teh Havana again.

Room Tip: Try the ground floor garden rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Literally off the beach from its' own bar/restaurant, this place offers a lot of amenities: free comp use w internet, breakfast buffet, and towels, to name a few. The only thing that was lacking in the resort was that it didn't have a 24 hour concierge, which was unfortunate when going out. Still, 10/10 would go there again

Stayed July 2013
Rehovot, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

The resort itself is well maintained, beutiful garden, beautiful pool, nice breakfast on the beach. we stayed in the delux room which was beautiful, lot of space and clean. We rarely had hot water in the shower though.. Raja, the owner, treats his guests in person, a familiy atmosphere. We traveled with a 18 month baby and the stuff was very nice and helpful. The restuarant offers Thai and tasty indian food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hadas R
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed there for two weeks, and was extremely happy with our choice. Great room (we had upgraded to the superior beachside, and definitely recommend others to do the same as well). Cleaning was nice, nothing to complain about.

As mentioned in the title, the most impressive thing about the place is the staff, especially the bartender (Chai) and the two brothers who manage the place. Everyone is extremely friendly and happy to help and talk to you.

The restaurant is almost equally impressive, and definitely one of, if not the best restaurant on the beach. The have an awesome BBQ with fresh fish everyday, which was always a great meal. We ate there quite a few times, and were impressed each time. Might be a bit more expensive than some of ther other places on the beach, but without a doubt worth it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Superior Beachside, which is a better room and has the perfect placement right between...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jonas92
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very very good hotel. Can really recommend it. Stayed there for a week in the beginning of June 2013. Perfectly clean room every day. Towels and bed sheets are changed daily as well. Spacious room with huge balcony. Very attentitive, friendly and helpful staff. Yummy breakfast. Nice restaurant on the beach. The hotel is located on one of the best beaches on Koh Phangan. Very beautiful cosy beach with fine sand and shalow clean water. We a had very good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tamara S
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the Hotel for 4 nights after travelling around Thailand.

Without any doubts this is best hotel we stayed in. It's cosy, friendly staff and set up is ideal when traveling with kids.

Beach is just pass the swimming pool and parents can have a drink while kids are playing at the beach.

Very good seafood BBQ at night

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Pieter v
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Only stayed for 3 nights but wish we stayed longer as we were only there for the full moon party (Which was amazing). The scenery was stunning, felt like you had the beach to yourself. . .paradise! The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast wasn't great but the evening meals were nice. Overall i'd say somethings were highly priced like room per night and food, maybe that's because of the time we went (full moon party season). Would like to go back again though.

• Stayed April 2013