“Excellent escape”

Haad Son Resort & Restaurant
Reviewed May 30, 2013

pick up from the pier was great, reception and booking by the staff, which speak english were excellent. You have access to wi fi in the main building, breakfast was alla carte but great, we asked for extra cofee in the morning without extra charge. Access to the private beach and restaurant, hammocks on the sea shore if you would like to "just chill". Great allround atmosphere. An excellent resort for less baht.

Room Tip: Rooms on the beach and even the sea facing bungalows are great
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Where to start? The only thing keeping us sane was the view. In the 4 days we stayed, neither of our rooms were cleaned once (even with the "please make up room" sign out). The lady at the front desk was consistently rude and sometimes not even there. I couldn't tell if it was spite or coincidence, but we ended up 5 flights of steep, uneven, concrete stairs up a mountain. The room was such a pain to get to every time. We avoided the beach on one occasion to avoid the terrible trek back. I'm 23, and in pretty good shape, and slipped up the stairs carrying my luggage and scrapped my arm pretty bad. If you book here, make sure to buy your own water, toilet paper, hand soap, and shampoo. Also, be prepared to use the one towel many times over as they don't come to bring new ones and collect the dirty ones. The food was overpriced but decent tasting. This is about a 30 minute taxi to the full moon party. They charge 200 baht per person to go there the night of the party. Don't use them to book a ferry, it's about triple the price of the travel places near the pier. It's pretty far from all night life and about a 30 minute motor bike ride from the pier. There are also lots of ants in the bathrooms. For how cheap hotels are in Thailand, this place was very disappointing. I'd say this was priced double what it was worth.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room at the top of the "resort", unless you are a professional athlete...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was quite a favourite resort among the family and definitely the best 3 star one we stayed at over our 5 week trip. It has a very relaxed - bit of a boho vibe.

We liked lying on the floor cushions in the open air rec room area, using the WIFI at the end of the day chilling out and having a drink.

Pool area isn't the best but the beach is lovely and quite often deserted, but no loungers or umbrellas - just lie on the sand!

I had booked a superior villa, which when we saw it we were quite upset. It was small, the 2 double beds only just fit, it had horrible decor and it was worn out. Yuk. So I went back to reception to see what else was available. We did a deal to move into interconnecting rooms in the 'hotel' style part of the resort. So much nicer, big airy rooms, nicer bathrooms, terrace with view of the beach. Great.

Very relaxing resort. Food at night can be eaten on the sea deck or in little private tree houses (cute!) lit by tree lanterns, the food is good and the prices are low.

Breakfast on the other hand is poor. Not much choice and low quality, think white sliced bread and noodles.

Reception staff bit cold.

Waiters are ok.

Loved the island - very chilled out. May well be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I love the North-West corner of Koh Phangan, as it offers peace, tranquility, great seafood and sunset views to die for. So I booked a surprise trip there for my wife and I to enjoy an island honeymoon after our recent marriage. I arrived on the island a day before my wife in order to arrange somewhere nice (in secret) but the first couple of resorts advised they were full due to high season, and the rapidly approaching Valentines Day. I arrived in Haad Son resort, expecting similar disappointment, but was shown a couple of available rooms by Tak, the Resident Manager. I then mentioned to Tak that this was a honeymoon trip and she immediately offered me the VIP room at a discounted rate. The room was superb, with an unobstructed view of the beach and consequently the amazing sunset. Without needing to be prompted, Tak offered to arrange for the room to be decorated with flowers, the bed covered in rose petals in a heart shape, and more flower petals in the bath tub. Not only that, but she reserved a table for us at the seafront restaurant so we could enjoy a lovely cosy meal and drinks whilst watching the sun slip away. I booked for three nights, but we ended up staying for six, purely because of the attentive and friendly service we received. I would like to commend Tak for her customer service and ever present smile, but also the reception and restaurant staff - Golf, Jum and Zayah. They were all very friendly and helpful. The resort food was good, but fresh seafood at Chaloklum is unbeatable, so we headed there most nights. However during the afternoons, the resort jetty is the best place to be. Hammocks, relaxing music and crystal clear water for excellent snorkelling. OK, there were lots of stairs to get to our room, but that added to the feeling of deserving your private view from the room balcony, or the private pool, when you did arrive at the top of the steps. Overall, it was a fantastic stay, and we will definitely return. Again, our thanks to Tak especially, but also Golf, Jum and Zayah.

Room Tip: I am pretty sure all rooms would offer you a great view and a great nights sleep. But I liked the e...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We booked our rooms 3 months in advance and when we arrived they had double booked and were full due to the full moom party. They did move us to another hotel but waited for us to arrive to sort it, as it was there stuff up we felt they should have sorted it well before we arrived to stop us having to wait. Not good!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The location of this resort is absolutely fabulous. Beach right outside your cottage.There is a beach side restaurant. But the best thing about this resort is this great "spot" where you can relax on the hammocks, dive into the sea and snorkel!! Yes, you dont need to go anywhere else for snorkeling if you are staying here. Rooms are decent. When we arrived the door lock was not working, phone was out of order. Barring one receptionist, rest of the staff is not at all friendly. But I think you cant complain much as its everywhere the same in Thailand. All in all a very good place to relax and enjoy the beautiful koh phangan.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2013

As the title of this review states, this hotel did not have a safe in the room, did not provide us with clean bath towels (or clean our room at all, for that matter), runs out of pool towels half way through the day (which leaves you in a bit of a bind considering they ask you not to use bath towels at the pool or beach), and did not have any type of beach chairs. There are 15 (I counted) wooden sun-loungers situated around the pool but they are always taken. The bathrooms are a bit awkward as the "shower" is simply hanging off a wall between the sink and the toilet.

Although it is true that the hotel has a nice view, and the staff are nice enough, this hotel certainly is not worth $65 Canadian/night. The only real positives about this hotel are that it offers free wi-fi in the lobby, and it has a nice ocean view. However, the nice view comes with a downside... The hotel is situated on a hill-side and as such you must pull your luggage along very steep hills to get to/from the main road.

You should also be warned that room request types are obviously not a guarantee at this hotel... We had requested 2 single beds and instead ended up with 1 king (not an ideal situation when you're traveling with your dad). I asked if there was a cot available which the hotel agreed to supply free of charge.

Overall this hotel was a disappointment. By no means did I go in with high expectations. I knew that the rooms would not be that nice for 65 dollars a night. But the issue was not the room. The issues were the lack of beach chairs, lack of clean towels, and lack of safe in the room. This hotel is not worth $65/night.

I recommend staying around the corner at haad Yao beach. The water/beach there is much nicer than the beach at haad son, and there appeared to be many hotels to choose from. I will not be returning to haad son and I do not recommend staying there. Of all of the hotels I stayed in throughout Asia, this one was my least favourite.

Room Tip: Book a room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family