“Cheap food, super cheap massage...”

Sarikantang Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We came by speedboat directly from the airport which was a breeze. I wouldn't trade that for their ferry or catamaran. But unfortunately that wasn't an option when we return. I'm glad we had the pool at our convenience and we use it every day for a few hours during my daughter playtime. There's a small little playground where the kids can play on the swing, bouncing and rocking horses. Hotel is hidden at the end of a small road which only allows 1 vehicle to pass at a time and not exactly stroller friendly due to the unlevelled road along the way. Food is cheap and the massage was fantastic and unbelievably cheap!!! Never thought I pay that price anywhere. Beach is clean, but doesn't have a picturesque view.

One interesting comment we had when we chatted with our Italian neighbour, he actually walked down from the ferry terminal for a few km and finally decided on this place as it was the most comfortable and pleasant looking resort to wind down. This was my 2nd trip to Koh Phangan; the 1st was more of a partying trip. The place is not exactly a family friendly setting apart from just winding down at the beach and party hopping. For us, there's nothing to see around the island.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay. My only regret is I didn't that cute little Sarikantang tee for my little one. I do wonder the signage I saw at entrance - does Sarikantang really mean Bumble Bee?

Room Tip: There are 2 pools but get the room with direct pool access. You get everyone hogging that place but...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pUtRi_YaNi

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Well, what can I say about Sarikantang..

Ive been to Koh Phangan twice now, 5 years apart in 2006 and 2011- i have to admit that tourism has started to make more of an impact than the first time i went and obviously this is likely to continue..However, there are a few places on the island that still keep their original charm - Haad Khom in the north and some of the eastern beaches.

However, for somewhere that is beautiful, chilled out, romantic but close enough to the action then I recommend Leela Beach which is the other side of the peninsula to Had Rin (full moon party beach). 3-5 mins walk to the main village/bar/shopping area.

Sarikantang is a lovely, mid priced resort..with basic cottages starting at about £25 a night and then increasing in price with the size and quality of the cottage/villa. The surrounding area is green and lush, very quiet (apart from the Tokay Geckos at night), there is a pool (although why you would want to use it when you have the beautiful beach on the doorstep!)..they have a lovely spa for some pampering and beautiful views over the beach.

We had the basic cottage - but this had its own bathroom, aircon, balcony with seating area and was very clean and well maintained. This wasnt a luxurious cottage, but provided us with everything we needed. Simplicity and Cleanliness! The restaurant has great food..especially the breakfasts! And the staff were helpful, friendly and trustworthy.

Everyones experience is different, and I know there have been a few iffy reviews..but for us it was a perfect place to chill out for 5 days after travelling around for nearly 3 weeks - and certainly better that neighbouring Coco Hut Resort which seems to have turned into some sort of a 24-7 disco since last time I came!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank m0uskevich
Reviewed March 23, 2012

After a 17 hour journey from Bangkok and feeling just a touch tired, sweaty and irritable, we were dropped off by a taxi driver who said "there is no road to the hotel so you need to walk from here - go that way, it's not far" and we thought "WHAAATTT? Do you KNOW how tired I am?" and grudgingly put on my rucksack and walked through the trees...which then opened out on to the beach...oh my word, THE BEACH. THE VIEWS. THE PALM TREES. We had found paradise! Only a 2 minute walk along the beach later and we were checking into Sarikantang. It was just paradise. Our room was beautiful, and the air-conditioning and hot shower were exactly what we needed! The food in the hotel was great and the staff (particularly 'Me') were lovely. The ladies in the spa were so friendly, the (very pregnant!) receptionist was great, and the massage and the pedicure I had were both lovely...particularly lovely because I could hear the waves of the sea right next to me. This is definitely a great getaway if you want an escape from the neon t-shirts and "lads" on Had Rin, but also want to dip your toes into full moon party fun! We stayed over a full moon party so had the complimentary dinner (which was yum!) but the finishing touch of giving us all a chinese lantern to set off from the beach was just lovely. It's far enough away from the full moon to not be bothered by the noise, but close enough to walk to it (only 5 mins over the hill) so you can join in the fun! It's a really romantic setting so just perfect for couples.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amy S
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I can't recommend this place!
I'm sure it's a bit of a problem generally in koh phangan with the full mooners coming in and out every month but I stayed here during a different time of month, you still get the feeling that you are an inconvenience, not a guest, and was overall unhappy.

First of all, the Hotel is a long walk on a crummy, barbed wire lined narrow road from town or the beach. The last part of the road is the worst with a combo of loose dirt and incline steep enough that I saw a sober person just completely wipe out, losing his footing. The hotel staff claimed they are not allowed to pave it. Yeah right, I don't believe that for a second and at the prices they charge it's unacceptable.
I found the front desk staff quite unhelpful and not friendly. Even though the hotel is so distant there's no help getting around and they severely overcharge you for a cab.
The pool is a joke. Small and not well maintained.
I stayed in 2 different rooms. The standard bathroom was pretty gross. Built up gunk on everything and I had pieces of a tourist map taped over the windows instead of screens.
The sheets were filthy when I first checked in and had to be replaced.

The other superior room was better and pleasant to wake up in but still nowhere to hang a towel. How hard is that to add to an expensive room?!

Wifi was pretty inconsistent. It doesn't reach a lot of the rooms ( even the ones it's supposed to). You can sit at reception and get a signal but at dusk you will be eaten alive by Mosquitos.

In addition I left something in my room at check out. There's clearly no system in place for this and I was told nothing was found. Obviously the staff stole it, it's just a matter of who.

This place has potential but they clearly make the money they want with no desire to care about their guests or take care of the place. The long walk to anything else means when you leave your room you're gone for the day.

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank Scotym
Sarikantang, General Manager at Sarikantang Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2012

Dear Scotym,

As a representative of the team, I thank you for spending the time on reviewing your experirece with us. We are dissappointed that we fail to complete your expectation on staying with us in some of the areas and we wish to learn and improve our service from these valuable feebacks from guests' view.

Regarding the pavement of the road, as informed to you, the hotel paved all pathways that is under the hotel area with fine concrete. Unfortunately but should be understandable, we are unable to intervene with the road outside our area except to wish for a better development in the future. To adjust to this unpleasant condition that we can not control, the shuttle bus time table will be placed on our service for all guests free of charge from mid of March onwards. However, we still confidence that our place is on one of the finest location with a private beach but walking distance of 5 minutes to the town as mentioned by most of the reviewers.

Regarding standard room's condition, we are pleased to inform a renovation in the near future (within this year) but still plan to keep it in the budget price as it is before so that we can have an option for guests with all budget. Your comment on some details lack in the other room type will be taken into account with this renovation as well.

Regarding missing item, kindly contact us back with e-mail directly so that we can process the proper investigation for you.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back again to Sarikantang with a better service in the future and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

we love the family like atmosphere. we love May, the owner, and all her family. the place has a great swimming pool, the beach is lovely thogh you cannot sweem when the tide is low in summer.

Room Tip: the swites up the hill has marvellos views. its a bit far from the real good beaches were you can en...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Avner C
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Slightly delayed review, stayed march 2010 but planning a trip back this march. I would never normally stay at the same place twice but Sarikantang has a little place in my heart after first visit. Given that on the other side of the hill and only a 5min walk is full moon beach, it feels very secluded and when the parties are on if you dont fancy that kind of thing or need a rest from it all, the music is pretty much drowned out. Very pretty beach which is overlooked by the restaurant serving very tasty thai cuisine. Rooms are furnished to high standard, we had 'deluxe with bath' - huge semi open air bathroom with huge sunken bath.for the price i was impressed considering some of the other 4 and 5star resorts which charge a fortune. Very relaxing here complete with party time when you want it. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mossee
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I've been coming to this paradise for the last few years and no words can describe what a fantastic place it is.

I usually stay over Xmas/New year period and this time it was a 'special' time as I got an accident and ended up with a fractured leg and on crutches :-( Someone would probably cancel the whole trip and got their insurance company to send them back home. However, I have no regrets about my decision to stay at Sarikatang for a week after the accident.

Everyone at the resort showed their tremendous compassion and support on a daily basis. I was taken to/from the restaurant in a golf car, to the local clinic for x ray, etc, could order my food to the room when I wanted to, got help with every little request I had and didn't have to ask twice for anything.

The family who run the resort (Mai & May and their parents :-) have made me feel extra comfortable, sometimes I almost forgot that I couldn't actually walk anywhere!

I'm still surprised that Sarikatang is not number 1 on Tripadvisor in Koh Phangang. I'm giving the highest score for every single aspect of evaluation and simply can't fault it for anything! The best location on Phangang if you like a mix of partying and peace on the beach; the lush territory with tropical plants, butterflies, birds; super fast response to any request; fantastic breakfast with mixture of fresh tropical fruit and western style of food; good choice of fruit shakes and food at the restaurant; spacious bungalows ranging from basic to luxury; beautiful SPA right on the beach...and guaranteed smiles from everyone who works at the resort :-)

I think I better stop complimenting this pace before all the bungalows are booked for next Xmas/New Year. Its still January 2012 and I'm already planing to book my bungalow for next trip in December/Jan'13, though this time with no health incidents.

This place is a magnet...You'll be coming back again and again. :-)

* Don't forget to'Like' it on Facebook

Room Tip: Book WELL in advance to avoid disappointment!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo