“Staff and food make this place something special”
Review of Milky Bay Resort

Milky Bay Resort
Ranked #19 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
“Staff and food make this place something special”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were supposed to stay here for 2 nights after a hotel disaster in koh samui, we came here and ended up stopping for 10 nights. We had the beachfront room, room huge with a hot tub and wow what a view!! The place and staff were fabulous (natali, win,yu,soi,nye, Tom,Kim,joy and mad mickey ensured a fabulous stay - so much so we got married here, it was truly beautiful, stress free and a big thank you to everyone especially natali for arranging and making a truly wonderful day! The food was the best we ate whilst in Thailand, and the staff were both friendly and attentive. Will definately be back soon thanks again Francesca says a big thanks to soe for all the table tennis practice truly a fantastic place with beautiful people
Love will Angela Francesca d1 x

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed December 27, 2012

At best the hotel rooms are average. It is nice and close to the water, but, as elsewhere on Koh Phangan you cannot really call it a beach.
The staff was a bit inflexible. We were for example trying to check –in slightly early. Even the hotel was half empty they insisted that we could not take the room before after 14.00 (2PM) official check-in time.
Food in the restaurant was OK and prices have improved (read: cheaper and better now than before).
The garden staff were very friendly. They have a nice little volley ball court as well as table tennis

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Could not have enjoyed our 12 days more!!! Food excellent, service unsurpassed, bookings made for you to experience any trip you like. A must is a download of the app "iLandGuide" for Koh Phangan. When you rent a scooter, this will show you detailed maps and activites without the need for wifi, loved it and made it so easy to know where I was going! You will love Milky Bay, so comfortable and so "Thai". Would book it again in a heartbeat!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ComaBlack, General Manager at Milky Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Sawasdee krub,

Your review really makes us feel really happy after our hard working for all the guests. We are glad that you guys had a great time here and I hope you come back again here at Milky Bay Resort. Thank you so much for the review and hope you are doing great and take care :)

Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Happy, kind and helpful staff - Aom! Dear, Burn, Win, Yu, Barn and Natalie all good friends and want you to have nice time and best experience, excellent food and cocktails, nice pool, ping pong competitions, great organised day trips, everything you want! Anything is possible! It's Ko Phangan! ideal location...

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Sawasdee krub,

Thank you so much and really appreciate for your comment :) Since you are still around here on this island so come back and let's have a chat and chill out here again. Hope you are doing good wherever you are and take care and be safe!! :)

Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I could not praise milky bay enough, the staff were amazing, so friendly and helpful. Everyone from Win, Yu, Burn, Aum, Ben and everyone else mad us feel very welcome and we can't wait to come back to see them all again.... If only everyone was more like Win! He was kind, funny and so hard working :) lovely beach huts, just shame about the weather as the pool and beach looked great... We will definately be back, love oli, jodie, dan and holly

• Stayed November 2012
Sawasdee krub,

We are really glad and happy that you enjoy your stay here at Milky Bay :) Everyone here sometimes even makes me wonder myself that how come we are very friendly. This has become a culture in the resort and one of the main keys to attract the guests for many years. However we apologize for the weather as it was the worse raining days of the year. I hope four of you come to visit us again here at Milky Bay Resort :) Take care and hope you guys are doing good wherever you are :)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I feel slightly bad for slating this place as the staff in the restaurant and around the place were so lovely, warm and genuinely wanted to make sure that everyone was having a good time and being looked after (despite seeming to have their hands tied at times!)
I arrived the day of the full moon party and struck up a conversation with some other guests while I was waiting to check in for my 3 night stay. We had a winge about the weather (torrential rain) and mentioned that I might move on early. The guy at reception was listening and shouted at me that my room was non-refundable.. This was news to me.
On reaching my room, I was really disappointed. I had paid e equivalent of £100 a night which is pretty extortionate in Thailand. The "room" was a thatched roof shack in the middle of a (very wet and rainy) small forrest. It smelled strongly of mould and dampness and there were bugs and ants crawling around the place. I switched on the TV (to take my mind off the bugs) and after about 5 seconds it started making a loud buzzing noise (it was ancient anyway). After 10 minutes I had to go to reception and ask for a room change as it was very unpleasant and giving me a headache.
They moved me to another room which to get into, I had to either climb onto the sides of and hop over small water features or walk through very dirty and wet soil ground and trees. It was pretty much the same but I moved as the smell was slightly less than the other.
This room also had bugs and ants were all over the seating area and even in the bed... I'm covered in bug bites. The sheets on the bed were permanently damp and instead of a blanket, there was a large towel material thing?.. Horrible! I ended up sleeping on top of the bed underneath my clothes... For £100 a night?! The shower was horrible, it was more of a dribble sideways out of the wall... No shower I've ever seen anyway!
As I said, the staff were great. On the night of the Full moon party the restaurant and bar staff went over and above to make sure everyone went off buzzing and in the mood. The shuttle service offered was (like most things in Thailand) excellent. The beach area is nice and the bar and restaurant are nice. I got the impression that staff are very restricted. When I asked for extra toast at breakfast, the waiter kept apologising as it had to be charged for (breakfast was supposed to be included). Same when I asked for beans instead of bacon!

I left after 2 nights. On the last night there was a massive thunderstorm and the electricity in my villa kept flickering, the ants were chomping away and there was something crawling about on my roof. There's no one there at night to call either, well apparently there's a security guard but they don't actually give you any information on how to get hold of him!

I thought about challenging them for a part refund on the way out but the reception staff give little consideration to customer service so I decided not to waste my time.

Wouldn't go back and wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Atc54m
ComaBlack, General Manager at Milky Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Sawasdee krub,

First of all we really appreciate that you chose Milky Bay Resort to be one of your Thailand trip and really apologize for what you have gained a negative perception about the resort and these are the explanations;

Our housekeepers clean all the rooms, even the available ones, every single day, make sure everything is set nicely without ants or even one insect in the room, and check all the facilities that they all work properly or not. Therefore we apologize that TV in your previous room just did not work functionally by the time you checked in. We reported to the maintenance team and it was fixed right away.

The time you came to Koh Phangan there was already a small monsoon in Thai Gulf which Koh Phangan is located in so that is why it had been raining (pouring) hard, which made the 25th-29th of November become the worst raining days of the year. This monsoon really effected to the electricity of the whole island which made the electric current quite unstable making the TV turn into a poor condition and the electricity flickered as you mentioned. We wish we could control the weather for all the guests but unfortunately we just cannot. Moreover our receptionists really do care about the guests especially when the guests have any kind of problem they are willing to solve right away. The date you checked out there were 25 rooms checking out meaning there were around 65 guests checking out who the receptionists took care of with their hearts. However if you still thought that our staffs did not reached your expectation we really apologize.

Milky Bay Resort targets on the guests who look for relaxing, beautiful, natural, and less materialistic atmosphere providing with quality accommodation and facilities such as swimming pool, beach bar and beach restaurant with good reputation of food quality, sauna room, message area, safe box, hot shower, free private parking, bike rental service, laundry service, tour package, transportation service, mini bar, free wifi and free DVD movies for the guests to watch it in the room, etc. Therefore we decided not to use much cement as the pathway to guest accommodation because it would effect to the resort theme that we set. Also our gardeners clean every area of the resort at 7-8 in the morning every day, three times a day, to make sure that every resort area that the guests see is clean and tidy. However, the time you checked in it was raining so hard, which you could see the amount of massive rain, and it made the resort pathway not reach your expectation. About the bugs and ants issue in your room, I, besides housekeepers, always go check inside the rooms everyday myself and make sure that everything is prepared. There are three levels of room readiness guarantee, which are from housekeepers, head of housekeeping department, and I. Housekeepers will do their best job and inform the head of housekeeping department to check. After she checks that the room is ready she will inform me then it is my turn to recheck again to make sure that the room condition is in the best condition and finally I release the rooms.

Lastly, the monsoon really effected to every resort in Koh Phagan in that period and for all the unhappiness you had gained, we really apologize. If it is possible for you in the future, please come back to visit us again and all of your poor perception towards us will be faded away.

General Manager of Milky Bay Resort
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for the full moon party, great location - close to ferry and Haad Rin. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel also offered transport to and from Full Moon party for 200 baht :) they offered body painting, flowers necklaces and a chance to light a sky latern on the beach. Which was so lovely and really got is in the party mood. However the next morning at breakfast my friend found a hair in her food, she asked for it to be taken away and when they gave us the bill they were still going to charge us for it - unacceptable. We also organised for the hotel shuttle to pick us up from the ferry, however no one showed up. Manager was very apologetic and refunded us for our taxi ride and gave us two free mojito's. Stay would have been great if it wasn't for these two things.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank 920amys
ComaBlack, General Manager at Milky Bay Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Sawasdee krub

This is a guy who helped you about the sky lantern thing :) The picking up service issue it was because some miscommunication between Milky Bay Resort and the resort in Samui that you had stayed and I am really sorry for it. Also I really apologize for the food case. Milky Bay Resort is very well known in many attractive things and one of them is food quality and this really wakes us up to realize that everyone makes a mistake and we will be more careful and better it to maximize the guest happiness. I really appreciate that you chose us. Wherever you are please take care and I hope your foot will be ok real soon :)

General Manager of Milky Bay Resort