“If you want a party this is the spot to stay.”

Drop In Club Resort & Spa
Ranked #87 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Sunshine Beach, Australia
“If you want a party this is the spot to stay.”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I found this place by chance when searching for accomodation for a short stay in Koh Phangan to visit a full moon party. It looked nice and handy to the action and also had the capacity to accomodate 3 - 4 people comfortably.
Upon arrival by ferry I was unsure of the location so we all jumped into a ute taxi. This wasn't necessary as it turned out as the place is seriously about 200m from the ferry, so umless you are in a wheel chair or real lazy just take the stroll. 1st left then next right and about 50 meters up the hill and it is on the left.
Upon arrival, check in was a breeze, Very friendly and helpfull staff.
We arrived around 5.00pm, upon entering the room and opening the sliding glass doors on the verandah that overlooked the centre pool area we were greated by about 150 revellers in and around the pool enjoying the foam party that was taking place at the resort.
We all thought this was awesome and proceeded to get our swimmers out and join in on the action.
Our room was on the third floor and was very impressive. It was split into two seperate rooms and had a decent size bathroom and also a large balcony that you could sit out on and watch either the pool or just take in the view across the town.
Buffet breakfast was included in the price and it was also very good and had a variety of hot and cold things. The staff were always friendly.

I would recommend this place to pretty much anyone. You have the capacity to close all the doors and windows if you like and enjoy piece and quite (if that is what you want) or open up the doors and enjoy the music from the pool parties that are held on the days leading up to the full moon parties.

Plus The pool bar is amazing (and cheap).

I would certainly recommend this place to anyone that is making a trip to Hadrin to attend a full moon party.
The best thing it is only a stroll from everything including the full moon party but is also far enough away that you can't hear the full moon party and can therefore get some sleep if you want to leave the full moon party before sunrise.

Love this place

Room Tip: Keep off the ground floor if you can.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 3Musketeers2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2011

This place was dirty and expensive. Rooms and sheets and curtains covered in paint, beds were absolutely rock hard and our room's balcony had 3 metre long speakers attached to it which meant NO SLEEP! Don't even think about being able to sleep past midday (which is common if you want to have a good time at the beach parties), they say there are parties at the hotel which you have to pay for and no one ever goes to them! The rooms were tiny and hardly any room to unpack. Not cheap either so not good value for money. Seriously DON'T DO IT!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank LT89

Travelers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The best thing about the drop in sunrise hotel was leaving the drop in sunrise hotel!!
The worst thing about the drop in sunrise hotel where do I begin...
Approaching the hotel is like walking into the slums! the place looks so run down but being an optimist i thought maybe its one of those places that look terrible on the outside but ok on the inside and oh how I was wrong.
The staff were rude and not trustworthy at all! We had to pay a deposit just to get our key!! we payed for three people and got two beds and a matress on the floor, which took about an hour to get!! our friends safe didn't work in their room, not to mention our other friend who's bathroom was flooding!!
The pool was disgusting I didn't see any filters in it at all, everyone had enough sense not to swim in it.
the hygiene of the place was appalling. Dirty plates from room service was left outside rooms and wasn't collected the whole time we were there. The cleaners came and gave us fresh towles and just left the old ones outside our room for the rest of our stay. The lift had a button hanging off it and smelt of urine, not to mention the blood that was all over the stairs after the full moon party that took at least 24hrs to clean.
To top off everything the buffet breakfast included was disgusting, all the hot food was cold, I even took an egg off a tray that one of the staff had just brought out and it was cold, I don't even want to know how long it had been sitting there, so instead of suffering food poisoning we skipped the buffet and went out for our breakfasts.
I would never suggest this hotel to anyone it is by far the worst place I have ever stayed! It definitely ruined our stay at koh Phangan!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank glassy_17
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The hotel is very much oriented towards young people and the party scene.

We stayed 5 nights over full moon period. I stayed with my girlfriend and 9 other friends of ours.

The main pool is surrounded by the hotel building, from where BIG music-festival-style speakers hang. During the day these are blasting out some good music, but it was the same couple of CD every day, but it was my type of music, so I was ok with it. Music was off by the time we were pre-drinking before going out, can't remember what time, but it must have been off by soon after dinner time, so no issues with sleeping. We were never in our room duing the day, so again, no issue.

Pool became dirty-looking over our stay there, but this was only because of the detergent from the daily foam parties that they ran in the pool, which were extremely fun. Pool also had a bar, which made it even better. I don't think it was actually dirty.

There was also another smaller pool, which was very clean and very quiet and never busy, if foam parties, loud music and drinking are not your thing.

Our rooms were nice and clean, bathroom was very respectable. There was safe in the room.

I only dealt with staff at check in and check out, they were polite, easy enough to communicate with, no complaints. Also, had an issue with our safe when we first checked in, staff came up to have a look, fixed it without hassles. Friends tried to (unsuccessfully) get clean towels, not sure how their dealings were with them.

The power in Koh Phangan frequently would go out, this place has a backup generator which is very helpful, and somewhat comforting.

Good walking distance to FMP (j5-10 mins), far enough away from the noise. Close enough to nice restaurants,

We had a room that had a balcony that also led out onto the common balcony which was HUGE with heaps of tables and chairs. This was good for our group, because we could hang out there and drink before we went out. We would leave our buckets and bottles our on these table and they were always cleaned up by the time we woke up, if not even by the time we got home.

Security partolling the grounds too, which is also comforting.

Negatives:
Big shortage of towels... After we arrived and got our clean set of towels, we were not able to get another clean set for the rest of the stay.

Included breakfast was pretty poor compared to some of the other places we stayed at while in Thailand, they would always run out of the good stuff, but I didn't bother after the first morning as I am not usually a breakfast eater, also too hungover.

Bed was a bit hard if I had to fault it, but not terrible. It was also really short, feet would almost hang off the end, but I am 185cm (about 6ft 3)

Food from the restaurant was mediocre (I never ate there but friends did) and a bit overpriced, but there are plent of really nice places to eat within 5 mins walk.

In closing, if you are in Koh Phangan to relax, should proabaly steer clear, but if you are there to party, this is right up your alley. Plenty of young tourists in the pool/foam party during the day, awesome fun.

• Stayed January 2010
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2010

On arrival of the hotel it appears to be very shoddy, as we are led up to our room- the lift was broken so we had to use the stairs. On the way up the stairs we had to clamber over work men drilling and laying electrics all through the hallways, not exactly a good start.

The resort definitely looked nothing like it did in the pictures. We were staying in a superior sea view double room. however the "sea view" is obstructed by the view of building work and stray animals .

According to the website the hotel has 2 pools. one of which was covered in flowers and out of use, and the other I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. During our stay in the resort, there were multiple pool parties and one of which was a foam party- and as a view a,from a friends balcony, amongst the foam were multiple couples having sex in the pool. The next day- the pool was filthy and stayed like this until the end of our stay. There was a thick layer of oil amoungst other things on the top of the pool left over from the bubbles and the pool actually smelt vile, my friend came up in a rash from swimming in it. This pool party happened on the first day and was never cleaned for the rest of our 5 day stay.

Whilst in the computer room I had my bag over the back of my chair. There had only been staff coming in and out of the room and when I left and to my astonishment I realised that my purse had been stolen with thousands of TBH in it which I had just withdrawn. All my cards went and everything including ID. I knew exactly who did it and when I confronted the manager about the member of staff he denied it.

On checking out the staff then tried one last time to scam as much money out of us as possible by claiming that we had lost an extra key, one which we weren't even given in the first place. one more thing -our bed sheets were only made/changed once during the whole stay.

The full moon party was great fun- but a resort like this could ruin your trip. Save yourself the hassel and dont stay here. I definitely wouldn't again even if someone were to pay me- this is definitely the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We got a deluxe villa expecting to have an extremely nice last 5 days of our holiday in thailand and have a greast time at full moon. After spending 90 quid a night on a room we thought this is what we would get.

However it turned out that a camera was stolen from the room, a jumper and a pair of shorts taken from our balcony and we found a maid wearing a pair of our flip flops we left at the pool to which her response was she was keeping them safe, to which her manager agreed! Further to this on returning one night they had lost our key and we got the blame

Thank god there are 3 englishmen who work there who could see the bad service we recieved and gave us a significant amount off only after we had a huge row with the manager who said it was entirely our fault!

Do not stay here one of the most expensive places on full moon and one of the worst.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2010

My first review has been taken down! Here we go again!!

We arrived on the Saturday (Full Moon Party night). I arrived after my friends and had to wait almost an hour before I could get into my room (which was the wrong one!) as they only give out 1 key for each room for which a 1500 baht deposit has to be paid to get that. Even though our bookings (4 of us, 2 rooms) clearly stated that they were for 2 single beds in each, they couldn't manage to get this right, although it was rectified only for the bookings to be swapped around. The website shows what looks like a fairly nice place and was looking forward to this hotel. How wrong could I be! The pool from day 1 had a greasy film over the top but otherwise looked ok. This only got worse the longer we stayed as we had to make a 5 night minimum booking over Full Moon period. The main swimming pool has no filtration system and is not chlorinated. By the time we left the water was murky, the blue tiles in it on the bottom were brown and after swimming in it on the first and second day, you could smell the water after coming out of the pool. When I queried the manager on when the pool was due for its 'Annual Clean' he replied that it was due to the foam party they have the night before the Full Moon Party. So if it wasn't for the foam party, apprarently the pool would be fine (with no filtration or chlorine!). He also said they had done tests on the water and the test results showed the water was clean. I couldn't help but laugh as the water at this stage wasn't even clear anymore and hardly anyone was brave enough to swim in it. As to other features of the hotel, they have 2 elevators that worked about twice the whole time we stayed there. The gym consists of about 4 bits of equipment. We ordered some club sandwiches which were delivered and once finished we put the plate outside our door. The plate was still there 2 days later!! Our bed sheets were not changed for 3 days and the sand build up in them made sleeping quality a joke! We needed help with the in-room safe and it required 4 phone calls to reception before anyone bothered to come and rectify it. The airconditioner worked, only plus for them really. We left a day earlier and cut our losses in the end. Even when checking out, the guy at the tourist information desk was asleep (at 2pm) and it took over 20 minutes for them to sort out the bill for our mini bar. I personally wouldn't recommend this place to any decent human being. The water in the pool alone would be enough to induce vomiting even from someone with an iron stomach. Koh Phangan is well resourced for tourists, its not that big and the better resorts seem to be those that are not in Haad Rin and honestly its not hard to get around the place or expensive.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends