All reviewswellness centreyoga classesopen mic nightraw foodmr moonguys barstar housenew agesteam roomspa treatmentsweight losshaad yuandetox programtaxi boatlong tail boatan amazing placemosquito net
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I was recommended this resort by a friend and was very excited to spend two weeks relaxing in this Spa / Yoga retreat. It's perfect for the solo Traveler, very friendly people and lovely staff.
I practiced yoga a couple of times a day, indulged myself in the Spa and enjoyed the extensive menu in the restaurant. Traveling from Ireland and looking for sun sea and relaxation in November I don't think i could have gotten better value than the Sanctuary. Generally it was a very quiet holiday, having said that i did have one pretty big night out which was great fun. I don't know what else to say other than i had a fabulous time there and would like to congratulate the management on creating such a lovely resort! If anyone wants to email me for further information please do.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I've been going to the Sanctuary for about 10 years now, off and on. It's been so, so disappointing to watch their rates climb so high, to a degree that is almost out of my price range because I really loved the place. Also the generator use and smell has gotten really out of hand. Perfect location, great food (but they really don't know how to make a smoothie and freeze most of their juices?!) The generator is much louder than it used to be and you can smell it from several of the overpriced bungalows. The staff is underpaid and that is reflected in their continually worsening attitude toward the guests. I just feel bad for them because I have seen that the management is simply becoming more greedy every year. They could pay their staff more, the just don't. And they could keep their prices lower, they just won't. It really turns your stomach when you think of how this conflicts with the laid back attitude they are trying to exude.

If you go to the Sanctuary, leave all your Thai Change in your room or as a tip for them at the desk! So many of us end up taking a kg of those coins home accidentally. At least we can help in some small way. And of course there is the tip "code number" that we can use, but since the Sanctuary only accepts cash it's very easy to come up short when your trip is over.

The management mentioned in an earlier 'response' that most ("if not all") guests love the Friday all night extremely loud 'music.' Well when I as there most 'if not all' guests were complaining about it, and returning guests were adding how sad it was that Had Tien was now just like every other beach. In a couple of years, with the new road, it probably will be.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank goshalaseva108
SanctuaryThailand, Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2009

Hi and thanks for your feedback.
As always we welcome constructive feedback to enable us to improve what we offer here at The Sanctuary.

I am saddened that your recent return visit was disappointing & that you only saw increasing prices, which incidentally have not changed in nearly 2 years due to the global economic situation , when you revisited with us, as opposed to all the improvements and additions we have added to make your (return) visit more interesting & rewarding

I wish to address 1 thing only – that is your assumption that our staff are underpaid and not looked after. This is so inaccurate that it upsets me. Most of our staff have been with us for nearly 10 years. Fact is : our staff are among the best paid in southern Thailand, they have excellent bonus system , holidays and support which is why they stay here and greet you on you return visit. Please don’t feel bad for our staff as they are very happy ( though they will appreciate the tip suggestions) , as are most of our guests.

Sincerely yours

The Manager

Reviewed October 7, 2009

After more than 1 year out of Thailand i was so happy to return to my favorite place in the whole world. .... TRUE,.( despite some folks perceptions) ... Sanctuary has it all i feel, excellent food served by chatty ,friendly and hard working locals. If you do go there take the time to chat with them and get a new appreciation for not only your life but also theirs .. we have no idea .

This time as i was with a friend we stayed in the stunning Star house , how cool to have a hot bath in your balcony and relax under the stars

A famous Thai saying ' Same Same but different' always seems to apply to Sanctuary as while the wonderful atmosphere has not changed, and the excellent food is the same and the location is perfect .... its always like they add something that makes it even more special. I remember the first time i came here and they were offering detox retreats - UGH i thought but actually what a life changing experience that is .

This time its their new LIFE center, it was only just opening when i was there last week but its beautiful and is going to be a big impact for all who visit . Here you can book a diverse range of massages, join in fun and life changing groups or simply share a 'tea ceremony' in the tea temple. Its a quiet retreat from the chilled beach front .
I am now reluctantly going to Chiang Mai with friends but would not budge from Sanctuary if i had the choice . . . . . . if you come to this area of Thailand Sanctuary is a must... tropical calm on the road .. yippee

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Arriving at the sanctuary is quite an ordeal if you do it in one hit like I did. However as soon as I arrived I realised that I had found my piece of heaven. Having been to Thailand numerous times and stayed at various resorts with various budgets I found the Sanctuary to have the perfect balance for any budget. Initially I took one of the garden rooms as I fancied some AC, this was perfect for my requirements. The food, well quite honestly I still dream about it now, the Dhal and brown rice was unbelievable, they offer a family meal which is always excellent and a great way to meet fellow travelers. If you want to treat yourself to a massage I highly recommend Zenya who worked on me twice and relieved an ongoing shoulder problem. Bless you Zenya. Sure the WiFi is a little slow but come on your on an island and meant to be getting away from it all. So after two delicious weeks of Yoga, massage and amazing food I returned to London glowing, oh and I picked up a lovely Dutch girl that I still crazy about.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Went there for 2 weeks to contemplate on my own and do yoga yet wanted to have people to talk to whenever I felt like it. This place is perfect for a solo traveller as it attracts both solos, couples and groups of people. All friendly and interesting to talk to. Most of them spiritually inclined and intellectually way above average. Friendly staff, good food - sign up for the family dinner and make new friends - and a wide range of accomodation which enables both people who stay long and short holiday luxury inclined. I chose the most expensive style bungalow because I needed AC yet it was still not pricey. Got an upgrade after a bug encounter ;-) They are open to negotiation on now season. The beach is beautiful yet only swimable on one side. Don't miss the other beaches next to Hat Tien, they are very nice too. Try lunch/dinner at Bamboo, good price and stunning view. If you are afraid of waves, don't go just before full moon as the seas get rough and this place is only reachable by boat (well there is a 4WD car but the ride is very steep and not drivable during rains). If you want massage, go to the Thai women at the end of the Hat Tien beach if you want to pay less. They are really nice and fun to be with. On Friday nights there is always an all-night party which is great fun however the music is really loud if you do not join. Anyhow, The Sanctuary is a great place and I have already recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo