New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“The Sanctuary” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sanctuary Thailand

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Pha Ngan
The Sanctuary Thailand
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Queenstown, New Zealand
“The Sanctuary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

Wow, this place was fantastic! We stayed in our own suite/villa and the view was fantastic. Beautiful views out to the bay. I absolutely loved the open plan of the suite with no fixed walls, it was quite magical! The food was incredibly good, good prices, very healthy and very yummy. The smoothies are to die for. Chard??? in particular, on the main desk, was amazingly helpful and could not do enough to help you and always with a gorgeous smile. The spa was awesome and very good prices.....
I would thoroughly recommend this place!!

Room Tip: I would go for the more expensive, more exclusive ones with the fantastic views and privacy, they ar...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SanctuaryThailand, General Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Many thanks for your great review and appreciating Chard and our crew..they work hard to make your stay special ...hope to see you again .....hope to see you again soon - regards. Mike

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I booked in for a 'yoga holiday' with a 'raw fest' diet. I detoxed still but had the energy to go to a couple of yoga sessions a day, experiment with meditation, read a few books and go for some short wanders and get plenty of spa treatments. The restaurant area is conducive for solo travelers to mingle and the shared experience of 'detoxing' helps you to bond with others and make friends.

I was there in the off-season so there was low occupancy. There was also construction happening right on the beach which was a little annoying. You must be warned that one night there is an extremely loud party that goes all night for which earplugs are provided in the room. I usually don't sleep well with noise but the whole experience of the Sanctuary was so relaxing that I did actually sleep with the earplugs.

Many people were either on a full detox diet of no food but plenty of clay shakes, or recovering from it. From what I saw, many of the 'detoxers' were too tired to do much else but nap but were rightly very proud of their achievements.

Whist still cheap compared to Australia, prices are a little more expensive then elsewhere in Thailand for food, spa treatments, accommodation, etc but it is the combined experience that is so unique and wonderful that it is worth paying a little extra for. Whilst there is no requirement to do any of the packages I argue it is one of the 'when in Rome' times. I have never seen anything like the Sanctuary before and, judging by the number of guests who were returning guests, I think it is a very unique place. I certainly recommend it, even if (or especially if) you've never done anything like it before

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Anne C
Hi Anne . What a brilliant review- thank you so much . I am delighted so much of what we do resonated with you and that you saw the uniqueness of Sanctuary . Sorry about the building project when you were here . on your return you will be able to enjoy our new beach front Salas and our amazing Street Food Kitchen offering delicious healthy fast food most days .
I k now we will see you again ..soon i hope ....Mike
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We checked into Sanctuary for a 7 1/2 - 9 days detox programme and stayed during end of May/june. The place is amazingly beautiful with private beach and first class accommodation, serving delicious & healthy food in the restaurant, professionally managed and well attended, friendly staff. Special thanks to Moon, Bow and Joy who assisted in each & everything during our stay and made it more memorable. Also the Yoga classes, Spa are world class. We stayed in their Super deluxe villa which was very comfortable. At the end of our stay we were tempted to extend our stay for few more days but couldn't due to limited vacation period. We have already decided to come back to Sanctuary next year during our holidays to stay more...

Room Tip: We stayed in Super Deluxe villa which is a good choice. Also they have rooms available for all budge...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rajmenon72
Hi Rajmenon . Many thanks for your visit and great you appreciated both our detox center, its programs and our staff as well as having a taste of our healthy menu. your 'world class 'moniker is appreciated I hope to see you again - take care ....Mike
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014

The place to indulge your inner hippy and completely relax. There is both dorm style accommodation and more private individual villas set back into the hills. It was an incredible place to stay. We picked Star House – right up high (quite a few steps!) and peeking out over the tree tops it was spacious with a living area, bedroom and two balconies.

The interior of the villa was very open – only a curtain into the bathroom – so make sure you’re comfortable with your room-mate, or you will be by the end of the stay! The bathroom had panels that were open to the elements so we did have a regular feline visitor, slightly scary in the middle of the night but part of the charm overall.

If you stay here bring all your own toiletries as none are provided, though I’d encourage you to have the coconut oil hair treatment at the start of your stay and just let that sink in. The spa was great – a bit expensive by thai standards but good value for the experience, environment and range of treatments. This is one of those places where you can be as busy or as lazy as you want to be.

Make sure you arrive before Thursday when they showcase all the classes and therapies available for the week. We went to a yoga class and ended up taking some semi-private classes in body alignment, and I’m still using the techniques today.

Last but not least is the restaurant. I was worried about only having one choice, but when the food was that good we didn’t want to go anywhere else. Warning to carnivores, it’s vegetarian and seafood only, but there was creativity and variety I didn’t feel I was missing out. The smoothies were awesome too. It was too good to resist and we ate a lot – ironic given that the Sancutary also offers an extensive range of detox and cleansing programmes. Knowing how good the food is, I don’t think I could abstain!

It proved a true sanctuary - felt like i'd been there weeks not days I was so relaxed!

Room Tip: Star house is gorgeous!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SanctuaryThailand, Guest Relations Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hi Blonde_in_HK, Thanks for taking the time to review The Sanctuary. I think you give a really fair reflection of what it is like to stay in Star House. Open, relaxing, amazing views of stars and the jungle......with the occasional feline visitor. We hope you also enjoyed the undersky bathtub on the terrace.

It looks as if you guys had a full Sanctuary experience; with treatments at the Spa and at the Tea Temple, plenty of time in nature and plenty of healthy, happy food - I will be sure to pass your complements onto the kitchen and spa crew.

Future guests should know that 'The Gathering' where our resident healers present what they will offer for the week ahead is held on a Sunday at 3 pm rather than on a Thursday as you thought. On Thursday we hold an open mic night where guests and locals share their many talents.

We are about to provide some really good organic toiletries in the bookable houses. So next time you come you can leave some bottles at home. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again soon. Best Wishes - Jonny
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

On first sight the sanctuary seems to be the ideal resort. Nicely located on a semi private beach with bar restaurant an many bungalows in all price ranges.
This is somewhat of a problem wanting a bit more upscale resort it seems you are at the right place, but the mix of dorm rooms and private exclusive houses seems to bite somewhat. The food can be better, you would expect the bar to stay open if guest are still there, it doesn't and even closes early.
Maybe the biggest issue is the location, on Friday there is a party with loud music and boats coming and going, that goes on until 10 in the morning. Also could be really great, but looking at the website it seems you are right in the middle of nature with the quite "jungle" surrounding! The Full Moon part time around the corner leaves something to be desired and the nonstop haggling to get a boat to and from the resort gets annoying after a while.
So yes nice place, but something's don't add up!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jeroenvK
SanctuaryThailand, Guest Relations Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hi Jeroen, thanks for this review. Our intention is to provide a unique experience for our guests, one of these experiences is the cross section of clients we welcome here- from dormitory guests to luxury house dwellers - it’s the mix of people that makes the Sanctuary such a magical for most......we wish that had been the case with you.

We feel as though we have been very upfront about the party on the land next to us - statements regarding it are on our website in the "important information" and the "FAQ" sections - and we really are totally off the grid and in the jungle with all of the sounds and friends it brings.

While we are not affected by the full moon party here in Had Tien, the energy of the island definitely becomes more effervescent over that time. I often travel to the busy areas of the island at the time of the party and always breath a sigh of relief when I come back here to the calming energy and quiet of the Sanctuary. We hope to see you again soon - Best wishes - Jonny
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

First and foremost, it needs to be said that I traveled to the Sanctuary for the purpose of a detox. As such, I can't really speak to the people who are just going to chill out.

I booked a seven and a half day/nine night package which included my room, all elements of the fast, a salad the night before, seven yoga or pilates classes, seven spa treatments and unlimited use of the sauna. All visitors to the hotel are welcome to join medication classes held every day at 6:00pm.

The hotel restaurant offers incredible raw, vegan and vegetarian food. Important to people pre and post cleanse and delicious. The restaurant is a cool area to chill out in day or evening, and is used to screen a movie every Tuesday night and for an open mike night on Thursday. It is worth saying that for Thai food, I thought the Bamboo Hut located up the hill near Had Yuan was more tasty and cheaper but that means climbing up the hill...

The beach the resort is located on is not the prettiest on the island. The sand is rocky, not the white fluffy stuff. Also not many sun lounges and they really need sun umbrellas. Take good flip flops with you and make sure to climb over the hill to Had Yuan to see one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. Sunrise is spectacular and you should wake up and see it. Also the most beautiful time of day.

I booked a deluxe aircon villa part of the complex of rooms used by the Welness Center. My room was clean, aircon kept it cool, mosquito net kept me safe, and the cable tv had about eight decent channels. It was also one of the rooms which had a bathroom set up for administering your own colonics, but I won't get into that. Only shortcoming, the stairs between the bed and bathroom when you need to pee in the middle of the night. I understand that people say the A Frame rooms up in the trees are prettier but I preferred the proximity of the room I had to the Wellness Center.

What they write about the Friday night-Saturday morning parties at Guy's Bar is true. They are LOUD and the villas and A Frames up in the trees really hear them. Bring earplugs (though the Sanctuary provides them as well) and consider going over to have a look and a dance early Saturday morning.

I won't go into the details of my fast because it's something only people who are into or have done can relate to. I will say that the Wellness Center is run by a man named Moon. He simply is one of the kindest and most dedicated people I have ever met. He is not a doctor, nor does he claim to be, simply someone who has been working with fasts for almost twenty years. He and his team are dedicated to what they do, and are there to help, give advise, make you tea (free and unlimited) at all times. The most amazing group of people ever. The world would be a better place if more people were like them.

I did one good yoga class and eight Pilates classes. An hour and half each, classical mat pilates. GREAT.

The spa treatments were very good albeit if you have to pay for them are more pricy than anywhere else, but the setting and quality were well worth it. A true highlight was the wet sauna and plunge pool.

Two final and important notes:

1. The best way to get there is the Thong Nai Pan ferry. It leaves from the beach at MaeNam Koh Samui (NOT the pier, the beach at the end of the road where Greg's Pharmacy is) every day at 12:30 unless to waters are choppy. Otherwise get to Had Rin and take a long tail boat.

2. If you need cel phone coverage buy a DTAC card. AIS does not work there at all. The wellness center does provide 500m wifi usage per day for people fasting. Not sure if included in regular stay at resort.

In conclusion, Moon you the most special person ever and your team are amazing ! Jonny and crew thank you! I'll be back next year

Room Tip: Depends on what you like, most people love the A Frames up in the trees.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Sharon726
SanctuaryThailand, Guest Relations Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
HI Sharon. Thanks for this great review. Loads of fair information for people to look at. We miss your fun vibe here and loved watching your armour soften as the days ticked by. I'll be sure to pass your review to Moon and the team and to say thanks. See you next time Sharon. - Best wishes Jonny.
Phnom Penh, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

The Sanctuary has the perfect blend of health, relaxation, and interesting workshops to keep you occupied. You can go where the mood takes you, whether you sunbathe, go to yoga, have spa treatments or join a whole range of workshops and/or private sessions offered through the Tea Temple. I personally enjoyed the breathing workshop and creative writing. How interesting they were, I learnt a lot in a fun and supported environment. What a treat. What a great way to spend a holiday!
The rooms are lovely, air conditioner was a blessing, and the balcony was serene.
The staff across the board were very friendly and helpful.
With water shortages all around the bay, they are being proactive and protective of the water too.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
SanctuaryThailand, Guest Relations Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Charlie, Thanks for your review. We are so happy when our guests really understand what we are trying to do here. Yes - come here and do whatever you want!!!!! See you soon we hope. Best wishes - Jonny