“Best vegetarian food ever”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Pha Ngan
The Sanctuary Thailand
Ranked #24 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
The Hague
“Best vegetarian food ever”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Nicely located in small bay (can only be reached by taxi boat, or a VERY bumpy ride through the jungle) with lovely bungalows (nice and quiet in the jungle) and the best vegetarian restaurant that I know of. Staff (Mike and Lenka) are so helpful and friendly! Free meditation every day at 6 pm and plenty of other stuff to do (yoga, healings). Great place!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank WendyTroost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The Sanctuary is a wonderful place for those looking to relax, whether travelling by yourself or with friends. Helpful staff, great choice of accommodation, secluded beach location, optional daily yoga and meditation, a variety of workshops and one-to-one sessions, weekly parties and a fantastic, friendly bunch of people make this special place like nowhere else in the world. I will definitely return here!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank 6Cherry7
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Sanctuary simply gives you what you need. Everyone is so nice and willing to help.
There are many activities and workshops available. Definitely I will come back!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The sanctuary is a wonderful place, peaceful, lovely and helpful staff and amazing food!
Esp. the bungalows are great. Although the resort has certainly not the most beautiful beach, it is a very good place to go, rest and enjoy if you need time to relax.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Markvandegrift
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I barely know where to begin, in writing this review. I returned from nearly two weeks at The Sanctuary last night. I did the 7.5 day detox fast and can safely say it is the best thing I have ever done. The surroundings, staff and everything about The Sanctuary was incredible. The fasting process can be intense, emotional and a profoundly cathartic experience but I believe it is something that everyone should do and The Sanctuary is the perfect venue. I am already planning on returning every year and was loathe to leave. It is a haven, an incredible community of people that are so warm, open and welcoming. I loved the open mic nights, the Tuesday film nights and just sitting around having wonderful conversations from people all over the world. The rooms are fantastic from the dorms, bungalows and deluxe rooms.

The staff in the Wellness Centre are incredible. I would like to give huge thanks to them all, as they guided, supported and helped our "fasting family" through the entire process. Bucketloads of love and thanks to Bow, Joy ("coffee time"), Sarah and all the Wellness Centre staff. While I am unsure as to whether I will ever eat watermelon again, I wouldn't change a thing.

When you go, make sure you visit Buddha Hall for yoga... I loved Ben's classes. His Hatha classes were so incredibly nurturing and the perfect activity while undertaking a fast. His explanations of the poses meant you didn't need to open your eyes during class, enabling a very relaxing and spiritual practice. Niamh's pilates classes are likewise incredible, as she instructs you perfectly, which is fantastic for a beginner like myself.

The healers over at the Tea Temple are wonderful. I booked several sessions with Kimmana and his abdominal massages and health consultations are not to be missed. He is amazing and incredibly caring and detailed in every session and he assisted the amazing process of the cleansing fast for me. All the healers are there to help and offer guidance, so huge thanks also to Bela, Victoria, Sebastian and Shashi.

The staff at the Sanctuary Spa are likewise fantastic, I enjoyed several massages, facials and body scrubs during my visit, which just amped up the relaxation.

So, if you are considering doing a cleansing fast and are scared, I would say "don't be, just do it". Go to The Sanctuary and the amazing staff there will help take care of you mind, body and soul. Rid your body of those disgusting toxins, you will never regret it. My skin has never been softer, my mind has never been clearer and I have never felt better. Thank you again, The Sanctuary... I will see you again within the next year. Kob kun kaa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Antonia M
Paris, France
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The Sanctuary is a nice place to enjoy SPA, yoga classes, veggie food and to meet friendly people. The ambiance there is quite "familial" and it is very pleasant.
The rooms and bugalows offer just enough comfort (but it is not a place for those seeking standard luxurious rooms).
The resort is located on a small beach (not the nicest on the island).

Overall, it is a nice place to stay and meet people but do not go there if you want something chic.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Audrey_Stef
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed at the Sanctuary in may 2009 and we loved every second of it. It’s such a great place to unwind from all the tention at home and for me even Bangkok ☺.

We stayed here for 6 days and enjoyed the free meditation sessions every night. Every day was a different meditation ☺ We did swirling, dancing, singing, kundalini and a few others. The setting was beautiful and very special, we were located on a hill, surrounded by jungle and jungle sounds but always protected from the mosquitoes☺.

The house we stayed in was very basic with a could shower but it was good enough. We had a mosquitoes-net and a nice balcony overlooking the beautiful bay.

We spend our days swimming, reading in the hammocks, walking to the other beaches, eating and drinking all that lovely food and really tasty shakes and visited the fridaynightparty on saturdaymorning ☺. The party on Friday is the only thing that might be a bit annoying since it’s really loud and unblockable even with earplugs ☺ but we put up with it cause the rest is so nice and peaceful ☺

We didn't use any of the wellness services offerd since we were on a budget.

The staff was really friendly and felt a bit like family at the end of the week. We recommended it to a lot of our friends from Holland and every one of them had a great time here aswell, even when in detox.

Lonely Planet said it best: “you wanna namaste forever” ☺