All reviewswellness centreyoga classesopen mic nightraw foodmr moonguys barstar housenew agesteam roomspa treatmentsweight losshaad yuandetox programtaxi boatlong tail boatan amazing placemosquito net
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed here for four nights recently and wished we could have stayed longer. We were lucky enough to stay in the 'Rainbow house' which was a fantastic house in the hills with sea views. The restaurant was amazing, the food was brilliant and the staff helpful and attentive. The spa facilities were also great - I felt truly relaxed after four days of sitting, reading, chatting and staring at the sea :) would love to go back again and try a detox programme at some point.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I cannot really describe how wonderful my experience at The Sanctuary was. By the end of five days I was, genuinely, more relaxed than I have ever been. The healthy lifestyle with detoxing, good food, yoga, swimming and lovely people, had a truly refreshing effect.

Moon and his team at the Wellness Centre were consistently cheerful, charming and accommodating. They supported us through the detox, which can be quite a challenge, with sound advice, conversation and endless cups of herbal tea.

The cost is high, if you are backpacking, as I am but it is well worth it; something like this at home would cost hundreds and would not have the benefit of location and Thai service. It is a good investment in your health.

The programme runs like clockwork; your supplements and activities are really organised. In-between, yoga, meditation and spa treatments available. You can supplement the sessions included in the package with more sessions and therapies from private healers. I did not do this but people raved about their treatments.

Take more money than you think. The extra therapies are around B2000, £40 and food and drink is around B50-200, £1-£4 for dips-meals (this adds up as the food is great).

My accommodation was nice. Clean and simple, with the added bonus of a private colonics room! It is nice to wander around the site and also to climb over to the neighbouring bays which house other restaurants and bars. I stayed in Haad Yuen for the majority of the time, swimming, swinging in hammocks and keeping up with my detox schedule.

I recommend the Sanctuary for anyone who is keen to relax, focus on their health and enjoy a beautiful location away from the busy bays.

Room Tip: All sorts of accommodation are available. Dorms are nice, rooms are pleasant and well located. There are also cheaper options where you stay along the bay a bit. All rooms are noisy on Fridays, as there is a party in the bay.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed at the Sanctuary for the first time in August: a friend said if you don't make a reservation NOW i won't leave. YES, I was really stressed and i did. One of the best time in my life. It really is an amazing place, and in order to know you have to experience yourself. easy people, travelers from everywhere with one common denominator being friendly, happy, easygoing and relaxed. If you look for a place where to find your inner self, in a beautiful, energetic and friendly environment, you must go. And if you do... Yoga with Ben at sunrise is a MUST.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Please note, this review is purely based on the service via email I recieved when trying to book into the sanctuary. In no way is this review based on the resort itself.

I contacted the sanctuary after it being recommended by a couple of people. Our intention was to stay between the 24th December and the 2nd of January 2012. After looking at the website we found that a hillside bungalow would be a nice place to stay. It states clearly on the website that it will cost 2000 Baht per night with no seasonal variations mentioned.

I received a prompt response to my initial enquiry about room and dates. However, to my surprise the room had jumped in price to 2500 baht per night because it was the high season.
I emailed straight back to ask why they were asking for a price that not listed on the website and asked would they consider meeting nearer the stated price as I feel 2500 is a lot for a fan only room.

I was taken back with the shortness and arrogance of the reply, which simply stated that they are unable to move on price and that this is their only gap remaining. To me it feels they used this 'gap' to epolite the situation and make more money. I understand full well, being a business owner myself that you need to make money. However, transparency in business is key and the sanctuary fell very short.

My reply is listed below:

Morning,

After giving your email a lot of thought, we have decided to book somewhere else. Although the sanctuary did come very highly recommended by a few friends, I can only express my disappointment at the lack of transparency your company has shown. I.e stating a price on your website and then informing people it's higher when they inquire, because of seasonal variation that is not mentioned anywhere.

I can appreciate you are a sought after destination, but I feel you use this to your advantage and thus compromising your service.

As 2 people who run a fitness & massage company, we thought that the sanctuary was for us, clearly not.

Regards,

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cliff W
SanctuaryThailand, General Manager at The Sanctuary Thailand, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Hi Cliff . We have been fully booked for your requested peak season dates for quite some time so I was happy for you to see a gap open up for some of your requested dates due to a cancellation and I quoted you the peak season rate on application. It’s the only time the prices change and all customers are advised on application with no offence seemingly taken by others . Sorry that you seem to have misinterpret brevity with arrogance which certainally was not intended . In fact,often these days, i find that brevity is being encouraged due to the use of hand held smart phones etc. Sorry again for any misinterpretation - Mike

Reviewed September 21, 2011

Beautiful location, friendly and helpful staff, nice attention to detail. Great place to relax and have your own space if that's what you want, but also easy to meet others. Yoga was great, and nice choice of free and paid workshops. The friday night party was on our second last night there, and after going to check it out around midnight without high expectations (we could her the music clearly from our bungalow), we were pleasantly surprised as the music improved steadily and we ended up dancing till sunrise followed by an early swim in the ocean! Menu is excellent, if a little pricey, but the neighboring bays offer excellent and cheaper options. Free drinking water refills are great, and tho we didn't come to detox, I'd love to return to do the week long fast/detox programme here - it would be the perfect place to do so in a well supported environment. The next bay,

Room Tip: fan was adequate in Aug, no need for aircon. Our hillside bungalow seemed just as nice as some more expensive houses.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends