Star Hut Bungalows
Milky Bay Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
$33
$27
$195
$190
$346
Maehaad Bay Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
$86
$77
Trip.com
Havana Beach Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
$66
$49
$40
$35
  • Breakfast included
Sea Breeze Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
$49
$31
Agoda.com
Cookies's Salad Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
$46
$32
  • Breakfast included
$80
$68
$32
$15
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at Star Hut in March this year, it was our seventh pilgrimage to Thailand within a period of 10 years.
As the years add on, we see a very different Thailand to the one we first knew back in the day, and proper old style bungalows are becoming a rarity. The nice thing about Star Huts is that it marries the convenience of air con and closed tiled bathroom with the charm of a proper hut where you can see between the floorboards.
We had a bungalow right next to the beach (not seafront, I don't actually think the extra price would be worth it) with sea view, which was really nice. The staff were friendly and the restaurant served good food. Given that there isn't that much budget accommodation choice in TNP, I think this was pretty good value. If I went back to to TNP (which I doubt, I just didn't fall in love with it for some reason) I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BarcelonaBcn
Reviewed August 6, 2010

The starhut bungalows at thong nai pan noi beach of koh phangan are wonderful. We stayed in a bungalow right next to the beach, so we had an incredible sight to the sea from our bedroom. The bungalows were rather small, but still big enough with a nice big bed, moskito net, and a nice bathroom. The only negative thing was that our bungalow stood right next to a small hotel pool were kids were swimming and acting pretty noisy early in the mornings. Except of this, the bungalows and the whole beach are very quiet and beautiful. No tourist floods like on other beaches with the full-moon party! Breakfast and other food at starhut were delicious, an internet café is near-by, as well as other hotels, restaurants, boat trip rentings and stuff. Our favourite place in whole Thailand so far!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Tong Nai Pan Noi beach seems to be undergoing a transition into a high end holiday destination .The beach is undoubtedly beautiful with a long stretch of white sand . Having visited a few years ago I was surprised to see that much of the original accomodation from then has been replaced by a high end large resort that takes up almost a third of the beach . It has been quite tastefully done but does mean that the accomodation options have decreased in this area .There are also 2 other upmarket resorts at the 2 ends of the beach .

I booked Star Hut over e-mail before arrving in Thailand and having been to this beach before I knew the location .When we arrived I was shocked to find that the beachfront bungalow was in fact a dark , dank and very small wooden hut . For 2000 baht a night ( not inc breakfast )and having travelled in Thailand many times I certainly expected more for my money . I know that the price was inflated due to it being on the beachfront but they have built massge pavilions in front of the bungalows so the sea view is somewhat obscured and the state of the hut did not warrant the price .There was no sheet on the bed and a dirty piece of fabric at the window .It was very dark and not very clean . It seems that this place is riding on the back of the resorts that are taking over this beach and have grossly inflated the prices of the accomodation whilst not maintaining the bungalows .There are cheaper bungalows further back from the beach which I believe are cheaper but again I wouldn't expect very good value for money .Very expensive backpacker accomodation.
I explained all this to the owner and we checked out immediately.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank pineappleofplenty
Reviewed September 27, 2008

You can't beat the location. The beach is stunning and was almost empty when we were there (first two weeks of September). It felt like we owned the beach.

As for the accommodations, they were decent. The bungalows are neat to stay in, and pretty cheap, but the non A/C units are certainly nothing to write home about. They're fine for what you need them for - sleeping. Beyond that, you won't be spending much time in them, so it's probably not worth worrying too much about. They have a mosquito net that covers the bed if you're one of those people that worries about that whole "malaria" thing. The bathroom are kind of dingy and there's terrible water pressure (and no hot water), but you probably shouldn't expect that for 500 baht/night. They are building plenty of luxury accommodations on this beach currently, so if that's important to you, it's available. One warning though - there's a bar not too far from Star Hut (the Jungle Bar) that plays music until about 4 in the morning. One night it was all techno, which was infuriating, but it was plenty loud the other nights as well. Invest in earplugs before you come and you should be fine. If it sounds like I didn't like the place, it's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying to go into with realistic expectations.

The food and drinks in the restaurant are very good and among the cheapest on the beach. I got fruit shakes every morning (with ice) and never had the dreaded intestinal issues that seem to afflict so many other tourists. Take advantage of their cheap happy hour to get nice and toasty before a night-time stroll down the beach.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank miketravel100
Reviewed September 25, 2008

hmmmm....well, we were really happy with our choice of Koh Phangan for the island to visit. it was lively enough but also quiet enough. We were considering going to Koh Samui and are so glad that we did not, based on our brief visit there. About Star Hut...we decided this would be our place to splurge with ocean front rooms, and it was totally NOT worth the extra cost to get ocean front. A regular room would've been just fine, as all of the rooms were really close to the beach. The rooms were fine, but a little small and the closet was totally unusable (it had no shelves or hanging bar). The rooms were clean though. Maybe our favorite part of staying at Star Hut was the Pad Thai. Seriously, they had the BEST Pad Thai in all of Thailand that we found. We ate that stuff breakfast, lunch and dinner. And for snacks.

One thing about Star Huts - a couple of times we were there a big group of the guys who drove the boat taxis took up a whole shaded area on the beach drinking the ENTIRE day, starting at like 7am in the morning. They were well behaved enough, but they were right in front of our room. Plus, I would've liked to sit where they were sitting because the spot was nice. And they were right in front of where they give the massages, so it made it a little hard to relax when I kept hearing them since they were right in front of me. Not a big deal, but I was a little suprised that the hotel didn't ask them to move.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TheRoadJessTraveled