WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Salad Beach Resort

Salad Beach Resort
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Essex
“A more basic option, but very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Salad Beach Resort was the last hotel my boyfriend and I stayed on our visit to Thailand this August. Previously we’d been in Bangkok, then Koh Samui. This was our first visit to Thailand.

Salad Beach had been recommended by a friend as a place to stay, since it was so quiet and relaxing, so we decided it’d be ideal for the end of our break and for my 30th birthday (which the whole holiday was for).

Salad Beach Resort was suggested by the guy booking our holiday for us and it looked nice – although some of the reviews on the main building accommodation had me worried (and we knew before we went this was the area our room was going to be in).

As with other hotels I’d arranged a taxi transfer to the hotel, so at Thong Sala pier we were met by a hotel rep who took us and two other couples to the hotel via their ‘taxi’ (typical Salad Beach transport) – the suitcases went on the roof. After a beautiful ride through the jungle surrounds we arrived at the resort to the hotel’s open air reception and were greeted with the garden and wooden paradise that is Salad Beach resort – we felt like we were staying in a treehouse at times, it was lovely.

We knew this was going to be more basic than where we’d stayed previously due to the size of the beach resort and we’d been told Koh Phangan overall wasn’t as touristy. I was a bit disappointed not to get a welcome drink on arrival and to find we had to pay immediately for our taxi transfer and my birthday ‘party’ we’d paid for in advance (a pretty pricey 4800THB meal that included a private area on the beach with decorations, our own waiter, a three course meal, fireworks and lanterns).

On reaching our room we realised it was a lot more basic here, but it was still nice and clean. Even in the shower you felt like you were outdoors due to the stone walls, but I liked that. In some ways it reminded me a little of holidays to Greece and their well-known plumbing system since you couldn’t put paper down the toilets and the shower wasn’t super powerful and took a while to heat up. That said the bed again was huge and the room was nicely decorated, we had a nice little balcony overlooking some gardens/pond area too.

Our first impressions weren’t great when we left the room to head to the beach since we arrived later in the afternoon, so although we were stunned with how beauty the little bay is and how quiet, we were disappointed to find all the decking area above the beach which belonged to the hotel had no sunloungers left (there are only around 8 or so). The same happened at the pool area (there were more loungers here but not loads). Tip for you – in the room you get two big bath towels each, one white and one blue, the blue one is your beach towel and gets changed every day (as does your bath towel). We decided to go on the beach with just our small beach towels we had ourselves and found it a bit uncomfortable.

Be warned it gets hot here, very hot, the bay is so open to the sun, the sand is so white it is very bright. Obviously both these things are lovely and make for beautiful scenery. There are good areas for diving near here too so there are a few bits of coral in the water – just spy them out earlier in the morning and then you can work out where is best to swim/paddle. The sea also gets very hot, in some places it feels like being in a hot bath, no exaggeration!

We wanted this as relaxing stay and had four nights here so we just stayed in and around the resort – we ate the inclusive breakfast in the hotel, sunbathed on the beach front loungers, had lunch at one of the beachfront restaurants nearby, sunbathed by the pool later in the afternoon and had dinner at one of the beachfront restaurants. I can highly recommend Salad Hut – amazing service, great food and huge portions. Also Sunset Bar after dinner for extremely relaxed cocktails/beers is a must! On our last night we went to a Muay Thai boxing match in Thong Sala ‘stadium’ , it was great fun and pretty cheap.

We also wanted to go on the highly advertised night squid fishing trip, but sadly it was too windy when we were there. Another tip – the evenings get very windy here and the tide comes in – you can still walk on the beach to the restaurants but your feet might get a little wet! Although it’s windy it’s still boiling hot though don’t worry!

The breakfast at the hotel is nice but a bit smaller compared to other places we stayed – you can have pancakes, scrambled or fried eggs, toast, a small selection of fruit, a few hot choices (bacon runs out quick) and tea, coffee or orange juice. Regardless it was still very nice.

The only disappointing aspect of our stay and something that saddened me a little with this hotel was that the staff were friendly, but when they couldn’t help you or had something bad to tell you suddenly their English was a struggle. Also for a place where everyone is so friendly and everything is such good value I didn’t like how they wanted all the money up front when we got there and as for my birthday party…

Well the decorated area, food and service were amazing – I loved it, a great way to celebrate. We had two fireworks set off by staff for us on the beach, these were good if brief. However, the lanterns we never got to do as it was too windy and every night we asked it was too windy. Obviously I’d already paid for this… Now I understand places can’t be blamed for weather conditions, but the squid fishing trip was not on until the next month they told us because of August being too windy. This to me says that obviously you don’t offer customers lanterns in these weather conditions as you know they aren’t going to be able to use them. PLUS on Koh Samui every night there were people selling lanterns and fireworks really cheap and my boyfriend and I purposely didn’t get them because we were saving that experience to make it special on my 30th. I was really upset we never got to do them.

On check out I tried to discuss this and again the staff suddenly had trouble understanding me – the basic outcome was they wouldn’t give me any money back as it was ‘part of the package’, despite me explaining it’s not part of the package if you don’t get it. They also suggested they give me the lanterns to take home to the UK with me…

I don’t want to put a whole dampener on our whole stay here, but it just saddened me that this was the only bad thing out of our whole holiday and it happened to be on a very special occasion. I found the Thai people nothing but kind, welcoming, polite and helpful and this incident just made me feel like they’d been a bit sneaky and conned me in some way.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as it was a in a lovely location, the grounds were great and everything about it was nice, if more basic than other areas. My only tip – don’t bother organising a private meal, you can get food and a meal on the beach for much better value elsewhere, and if you ever get to go on the squid fishing trip let me know what it was like!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SuperSunAddict

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of days in August. Lovely room with spacious wetroom and balcony. Excellent food in beachfront restaurant and fabulous massage that would have cost four times as much at home!

Nice, safe beach with pretty good snorkelling. Only thing missing was beach loungers and umbrellas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank rosemary9378
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at Salad Beach Resort for 5 nights. We were a family of four, with two adult children, booking two rooms via Agoda. Although the Agoda booking was fine, I think it is better to book directly with the hotel. The Agoda room descriptions are slightly different from that actually printed in the hotel brochure which may lead to misunderstanding later on! We had rooms 101 & 104 which were conveniently situated above the restaurant and overlooked the pool (but not noisy) with some beach views from the verandah. Our rooms were clean, sizeable, and had a bar fridge (unstocked), aircon and ceiling fans. We hardly used the verandah's other than a place to dry wet costumes. Salad Beach itself is a very pretty little cove with numerous resorts side by side. The resorts face west so you are treated to stunning sunsets whiile sipping on cocktails from any number of venues. Salad Beach Resort is centrally situated on the best area of the beach for swimming. The hotel has a wooden deck that cantilevers out over the beach offering really good views from its restaurant and sunbathing deck. There is a little shopping strip behind the resort with the usual offering's - scooter hire, laundry etc. The resort is laid back, the staff friendly and it is reasonably priced. It is close to Chaloklum, a popular departure point for scuba diving to Sail Rock. The resort needed a bit of tender loving care (some of its umbrellas are broken, the deck needs some maintenance, and its towel a bit threadbare), but this did nothing to detract from a lovely stay. The sea can be shallow at low tide. There is also some reasonable snorkling on a reef not far out.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Neil C
Bristol, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I loved staying here. The villa we had was by the swimming pool and was clean, spacious and airy. There was no tea or coffee making facilities but there was complimentary water left daily - something I really appreciated.

The beach is gorgeous. If you get up early, will may be lucky to find that you are the only one there and can indulge in desert island dreams!

The restaurant over looks the sea and there are lounging/reclining tables so you can sip a cocktail or beer and watch the sun go down.

The food is pretty good too. The only gripe would be the way breakfast is served. It was a bit of a free for all on the first day we got there - people pushing and shoving to get to the toaster etc. My friend was told off for allegedly queue jumping but she had only bypassed the pancake queue to get to the fried egg queue. All rather stressful for morning time!

Staff were lovely. The waiters especially - smiley, friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: We thought it was worth while to upgrade to villa - larger rooms with outside seats.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank carebear56
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed in a poolside bungalow. It was pretty much on the beach. Beautiful location. Restaurant on the beach. Rooms were clean.However this resort is on the other side of the island to the full moon party, which is fine as you get your own little beach that is not so crowded! Definately a must stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank R J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed in Salad Beach Resort for 7 nights, propably the best accommodation over all in the month I spent in Thailand. Set on the beautiful Salad beach, the location is idyllic, like something from a movie. The staff are extremely helpful and attentive, the rooms are kept very clean with a mini fridge and superb airconditioning. The beach area was beautiful and the pool was also fantastic, although often occupied by more children than adults. If i had a critism it would be that the restaurant staff were sloppy, they often confused orders and were slow to wait tables, often more occupied with themselves than the customers. All that being said, if you are planning to go to Koh Pha-Ngan then I couldn't recommend Salad Beach more, great value for money (we got the 7 nights for 10,080 baht) and a perfect experience of the paradise that is Thailand.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LeahGainey
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had the beach front bungalow which is really lovely if you want a bit more peace than the ones by the pool. It felt very private and had a beautiful view of the bay. The resort it's self is very clean and tidy, the rooms are cleaned every day with fresh towels and Ben linen. There are a number of local shops and a cash point only a 2 min walk away. We where a family of 3 taking our young daughter with us, so the only problem with our room was the lack of space to put our clothes. The room had one wardrobe with 4 hangers so most of our stuff got stacked on some small shelves. Also if your after more authentic Thai food I would definitely venture out away from the restaurant on site. Apart from that we would stay here again without hesitation as its so beautiful.

Room Tip: Go for the beach front bungalow they are fantastic !
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family