“Authentic atmosphere, great people, hard training like a champ!”

Koh Phangan Muay Thai and Fitness Gym
Ranked #26 of 70 things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
More attraction details
Owner description: Koh Phangan Muay Thai & Fitness Gym is located on the beautiful tropical island of Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand. It's the first Muay Thai Gym in Koh Phangan and has been around for over 15 years teaching Thai Boxing to both Thais and foreigners of all levels.The gym is in the vibrant town of Thongsala with many beautiful resorts and bungalows close by and a wide variety of shops and restaurants as well as the local night market.The camp offers professional muay thai training from their highly experienced and qualified instructors for all age groups ranging from beginners to professionals. They have both Thai and western fighters training year round and veteran trainers who offer a more personalized approach to its students and clients in a family-like atmosphere.The camp makes it a priority to keep the student to trainer ratio low so that each student gets the proper instruction and attention they need and build a bond with the trainers.Get fit, sharpen your self defense skills, have an experience of a life time with a Thai Boxing training holiday in the tropics.The camp also has a fully equipped fitness gym on premises and a fully stocked muay thai shop with dietary supplements.
“Authentic atmosphere, great people, hard training like a champ!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

On of the best attractions on Koh Phangan is the Chorenrit Gym in Thong Sala. If you want to be active, work out or train Muay Thai during your holiday than I highly recommend a visit at this gym.

Let's have a closer look at what you will find at the gym of Sri and Rob - a friendly and welcoming couple.

[Gym]
You will find equipment to exercise every major muscle group. Do not expect fancy exercise machines for every small minor muscle group of your body. That's what I really enjoy. Simple and efficient training (pull ups, dead lifts, bench press, shoulder press, rows, squads, leg press and sit up variations). The Chorenrit gym is perfect for that training purpose.

Dumbbells from 1 to 40 kg!

The gym has enough fans to cool you down in your breaks. Towels are provided and you can shower after your workout. Lockers are available.

[Muay Thai]
Thailand's most famous sport and one of the toughest martial arts. People with different levels of experience train together in a group which I find very beneficial especially for me as a beginner. The thai trainers and Rob have a good routine to train us stiff and wimpy farangs.
The training is hard, your chins will hurt after kicking bags for the first time but that is part of the process and will make you stronger. At any time I felt good and taken care of. The trainers are supportive, experienced and you can have good fun with them.

The structure of the training when I was there: Warm up (skipping or running) - guided streching - shadow boxing - pad work - bag work - sparring or clinching. If you still have a bit of energy at the end you will do some more exercise like sit ups.

My personal recommendations:
If you can choose go for morning sessions because it won't be so hot.
Bring running shoes and enjoy a warm up run with the group on the beautiful island.

I give Chorenrit a straight 5-star rating.

Visited January 2014
Rob M, Manager at Koh Phangan Muay Thai and Fitness Gym, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thanks for such a great review Julius. I hope you have a safe trip home, we enjoyed having you at the gym.

• Thai first
Calgary, Canada
“My Muay Thai Journey In Koh Phangan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I have been coming for training holidays at Chorenrit for a couple of years now and I keep coming back because of the great people and trainers as well as the continued improvement in my muay thai skills. I came as a complete beginner and now have had 4 fights. Confidence fitness and mental toughness has also been another reward from the training. In the beginning I felt like giving up a couple times but the support that I received at the gym helped me see it through.

Oslo, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great gym, great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Last summer was my second stay at Chorenrit, and I was happy to discover that the training was still at the same excellent level as the first time I was there, back in 2010.

The trainers are really good and motivating - being a good fighter doesn't necessarily make you a good trainer, but at Chorenrit you get great training from people who also have plenty of experience in the ring. Not to mention a great deal of one-on-one training, allowing you to progress more in one month than you would in half a year back home!

Travelling by myself, I also appreciate the friendly atmosphere. Srie and the guys really make you feel welcome - they are a lot of fun to hang out with at the gym, and also invited me to come along on various occasions when they had plans in the evenings or on Sundays (which is our day off from training).

Many muay thai gyms in Thailand have gained a reputation of just accepting foreign students to make money, not really caring about their training regime. This is definitely not the case at Chorenrit. They are genuinely interested in making your stay worth your time and money both training-wise and socially, and as I have been training here both as a beginner (in 2010) and a fighter (in 2013), I can honestly recommend this gym most sincerely to everyone, regardless of previous training experience.

Thongsala is often described

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Verdensborger101
Thanks for the awesome review Ellen. You've really grown as a Muay Thai practitioner and I can tell you have a real passion for it. I hope to see you again this year;)
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“AMAZING NIGHT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We attened a fight while we were there and what a show!!! You can also do a training class with Rob even if you dont have experience no problem you wont get hurt. I wish I could have done one, but we were leaving in the am for Phuket! This is the original, and oldest Muat Thai clubs on the island I recommend anyone to go and either take a training class, take in a fight, or just check out what its really all about!!!
Thank you Rob for your hospitality, sorry we counld do a class together:(

Visited December 2013
Thanks for the review. It was really nice seeing someone from back home visit this beautiful island Koh Phangan. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the fight night at our gym next time you have to come and do a bit of training I'm sure you'll love it.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great training, relaxed atmosphere and the nicest people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I had a great time at Chorenrit muay Thai, too bad it was do short of a stay. Just 5 days..

Me and a friend stayed at the rooms right next to the gym. It was very basic but it was all we needed. The fact that when you open the door you step right into the gym only added to the great experience at a Thai gym.

Training was of high quality and the best trainer/student ratio I have ever seen at a gym. Trainers were highly experienced, professional, helpful and above all really great guys! I enjoyed the Thai style of training since it is totally different from what I am used to in Holland.

The people were probably the best part of our stay. Everyone at the gym was so nice and helpful. Not only the trainers but also the staff and other people training there. Dont get me wrong, the fact that the trainers are nice and fun doesnt influence the quality of training!

The only negative part of my stay was...myself. We pretty much got swallowed by all the parties around new year. So I didnt train as much as I would like to have. But maybe that is a good reason to come back!

I would like to thank Rob, the trainers and everyone at the gym for this great experience and wish you guys all the best!

Regards,
Dico

Visited December 2013
Thanks for the review Dico. It was fun really nice having you stay and train at the gym.