“Absolutely fantastic!”

The Coast Resort - Koh Phangan
Ranked #7 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed at The Coast Resort for 3 nights for the full moon party April 2014.
Once I had booked and still in England I emailed the hotel to ensure that my booking had gone through successfully as I had booked through a 3rd party website. Once in Thailand I had a question regarding boat times and prices heading from Samui to Phangan. All of my emails were answered quickly. Their communication was great.
I arrived at the resort on the evening of Songkran and was treated to a complimentary water gun, a glass of orange juice and a squirt of water to the chest. The girl behind the desk was very friendly and checked me in and provided me with all the info of the resort.

I was shown to my room by a porter who then showed me how all the facilities of my room worked.
The room was fantastic, very modern and comfortable. It had all the facilities you would want, tv, nice big comfortable bed, tea and coffee, bottled water, air con, safe, great en suite facilities. The big sliding door leading on to your own terrace is brilliant. The only slight bad point I have about the room and of the hotel is that their is no chest of drawers. I only find this a down point as I'm quite a neat freak when it comes to my clothes. However, there was plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe.
The infinity pool and poolside bar are fantastic, the staff are extremely helpful and make the best milk shakes I've tasted. All made with fresh fruit.
The restaurant is top notch. The included breakfast is great and I really didn't need anything more. I only had dinner there once. I ate Padthai with shrimp (a new favourite of mine). The price was slightly higher than what you'd pay in a local restaurant but once it came out I could see why. There was a lot of it and was expertly presented and tasted much better than any I'd had around Thailand.
There was a guy I saw few times who I presume was the manager talking to guests and staff. This isn't something I've seen many times and it's great to see.
The front desk staff were extremely helpful and provided me with places to see and helped with my onward travel to Samui and provided transport from the resort to the pier.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again.
I initially was worried that the resort was too close to the action especially with it being the Full Moon Party. For anyone having the same thoughts, do not listen to them. The resort is walking distance to Haad Rin but is not right in the thick of the action. I stayed at the party until well after sun rise but know for a fact that if I went back during the party I would of had a great sleep.

I want to take this time to thank all the staff of The Coast Resort for a fantastic time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The Coast Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Ben

It's heart warming to hear that we impressed you from the UK (with our email communication) and our friendly welcome to your views of our facilities and restaurant. Even down to the attention and care offered by myself and our team in talking to our Guests throughout their stay, ensuring that everyone's enjoying their KP holiday.

A sincere thanks from all of us here for your 5's all round but most of all for your compliments and support.

Cheers and we hope you will join us again :)

Adam and ALL of the team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I absolutely loved this place! I did not want the craziness of full moon so I made sure the 2 nights we stayed here we're not near a full moon. The rooms are a bit clinical and basic but nice and clean. The pool, pool bar and beach are the some of the nicest I have experienced anywhere! I couldn't recommend this place anymore but again not during full moon.

Room Tip: If I was to stay again it would be in a pool/sea view room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear James

It's great that you were aware that there's much more to Phangan than Full Moon and that actually you'll experience the best of the island during the quieter 25 days of each month.
Koh Phangan is such a beautiful and peaceful island, perfect for relaxing couples and so we're happy that you found this and enjoyed it with us.

Thanks for the great scores you've made us proud.

Hope to see you again

Adam and the team

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Really nice place with great staff. Stay if you get the chance and don't mind the extra ££. Lovely experience.

Stayed over full moon and it was so nice to have a nice facility to come back to after the amazing carnage of full moon. The unfit pool and swim up bar is great too and plenty of djs on show giving a good vibe.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The Coast Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Hi guys

We love hearing that we've found the right balance for Full Mooner's. Our resort tries to reflect the natural chilled environment of Phangan yet its great knowing that during this period we provide DJs and events that help build the right atmosphere for FM while keeping our relaxed retreat feel.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the support :)

Adam and the team

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

It is a very modern and pretty stylish resort. Certainly amongst the top you find on the island, but definitely the best in Haad Rin area. Rooms and public areas are clean and they provide free pickup and dropoff at the pier and also drive customers to Haad Rin anytime during the stay with modern and well maintained vehicles.
We had a very nice time, but there are some downturns worth mentioning and some of them the management of the resort may feel free to consider.
For the price you pay you would assume you have a friendly thai greeting rather than an unmotivated and badly english and not a word of thai speaking burmese guy. Service is very slow and without sparkle. The breakfast buffet is very limited, daily the same and not overly inspired. There is an eggstation but this is about it, the 'hot' food comes from some cheap looking plastic boxes and as is barely warm.
The resort has pretty small and very minimalistic rooms, there is no chair inside and no sunchair on the terrace and electric plugs are pretty rare.
The public area around the pool, bar and restaurant are very tight for the number of rooms. There are a lot of rules and they are applied strictly e.g. 3 for 2 cocktails only applies if all are the same and ordered same time, 100'000 Bath (3000 USD) fine if you take glasses to the pool. Virgin cocktails dont exist on the menu and if you ask for them they cost the same as alcoholic cocktails.
The western management seems to be more busy fitting into the coolness of the resort than putting clients in focus.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelaroundtheclock

Dear Romina and Patrik

Thanks for your welcome feedback as to how we can improve our resort as well as the opportunity to clear up misunderstandings that may have left Guests feeling unsatisfied.

First I’d like to try to clear up what I feel is an unfortunate misunderstanding about your arrival. We have a Front Reception Team made up mainly of Thai with additional Burmese and Westerners, all speaking fluent English; our feelings are that upon arrival, our gardeners or security guards have seen you and came to assist with your luggage. We regret that these team members cannot speak English and assure you that their seeming unwelcoming approach will have been out of shyness not rudeness; else they may not have come to your assistance. We try to create a culture here were all our team care for our Guests no matter what their position so we wouldn't want to stop the gardeners, etc. from helping out in this way. However it is clear we must build up their confidence and train them further in meet and greet skills, so thank you for this important feedback. Hopefully with additional training we can prevent this happening again.

I’m a little surprised that you thought that the breakfast limited as we have over 20 foods on offer from bakery, cereals and fruits to salads, Western and Thai options. We know that a good breakfast helps to start a good day so we welcome feedback from our Guests regarding our breakfast to build up as complete a selection as possible. If you have any direct suggestions as to what we could add please email me direct gm@thecoastphangan.com and I will be happy to hear from you (and any other Guests directly in the future).

The rooms are indeed very minimalist as this is in keeping with the resort’s design and so there is no chair inside, instead having a 2xchair and table set on the terrace. We do show this in all our photographs online so hope that Guests who book with us are happy with the design and room amenities informed of on our website and all other online outlets.

We do have rules around the resort which we have in place for the benefit of all our Guests. With reference to the 100,000 THB pool fine this is not for taking glasses into the pool, it is for, as the sign states “broken glass in the pool.” The actual cost to our resort and our other Guests if we have to drain the 7x25m swimming pool due to broken glass is much greater than 100,000THB. Drinking at the swim-up pool bar is welcomed and our bar-staff also offer polycarbonate glassware if Guests wish to drink mid-pool. We’re sure that this is reasonable enough in the best interests and safety of our all our Guests.

Overall we are of course happy that you had a nice time and view us as one of the best on the island but we regret that you only came to express your dissatisfaction when you were checking out, so we couldn't do anything to make your stay happier. As you have seen we try to keep ourselves ever-present around the resort chatting with staff and Guests trying to ensure that we are taking care of our Guests; we regret that we have missed you in these moments. We hope that in future any Guests inform us when here about things they may not be satisfied with so that we can act to ensure you have nothing but an enjoyable holiday and happy emotions.

Many Thanks

Adam and the Team

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed over the full moon party in the villa, and loved it. There were a few suggestions we would of made though, the main bathroom was pretty stinky as there is no fresh air flow in there or air con! They should sort that out, Also you have full view of pool but for privacy (which i understand) the bushes cover all access, they should make a path so you can access the pool from villa. Great staff, loved the music in the arvos and all round a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank AlexRedmond

Hi Alex & Co

Thanks for the "great" review and the very helpful feedback.

We've checked out the room and the 'stinky' problem is not the bathroom but a problem with the Air Con which we've now fixed; apologies that this wasn't remedied during your stay and thanks for your understanding. As for the bushes in front of the villa terrace; we've cut them down to a height that now hopefully balances privacy with view.

Apologies that these issues were only cleared after you left but happy that despite these issues, you still thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We hope your next visit will now be even better.

Many thanks

Adam and Co

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We managed to catch a flash deal on Agoda.com and jumped at the opportunity to stay at this new, modern and very friendly resort. From the minute we checked in, until the moment we left, we felt like royalty. We were there in the time between the full moon party and the half moon party so it was very quiet but if you crave some excitement, the resort offers a free shuttle service, several times a day to the centre of Haad Rin. We spent our days lazing by the infinity pool and our evenings at the bar watching the spectacular sunset. The bed was the most comfortable bed we had in our six weeks of travelling Thailand and the large flat screen TV was a real treat after being without one for so long. However, it was the staff that make this place so wonderful. From the girls at reception who checked us in and out and booked our onward travel back to the mainland, to James at the swim up bar, everyone was friendly and eager to please. The only negative thing I could find (and it really wasn't an issue because the infinity pool is incredible) is that there are much nicer beaches on Koh Phangan than the one the resort sits on. However, The Coast has plenty of lounge chairs and huge bean bag mats to lie on. It is a little piece of heaven on earth.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mykaah

Hi Holly

Thanks for such a great review and thanks for joining our Friends page on Facebook :)
And thanks for spreading the word about the relaxed enjoyment there is to be had on KP and here at The COAST Resort outside of Full Moon. The FM event is great to experience but if you want to experience the real Phangan in its peaceful and natural state then there are 3 weeks each month where you can truly get a tropical island feeling unlike any other.

I'm very happy that you felt that we only added to this positive experience and that we made a good holiday wonderful.

Take care and we hope to welcome you again :)

Adam and your new Friends

Reviewed March 18, 2014

The coast is a very nice resort at first sight, staff is friendly, free wifi everywhere, free water, sunbeds,good breakfast, free beachtowels, beautiful pool and a poolbar.
But at a second look there are a couple of things that could do better: there are only around 40 sunbeds, although they provide 75 rooms. The bar is closing pretty early in the evening and we couldn't find a seat for breakfast a couple of mornings. They clean the room every day, but there would still be hairs in the shower, and sand was still lying everywhere on the floor.
Haad rin is around 10 minutes walk, 7eleven is around the corner.
It's the best option you can get on Haad Rin, but in my opinion it's too expensive for what you get...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thanks for your feedback and good review score. it seems that you enjoyed your time here with us but there were a few improvements you wish for us to make in order to give full value for your money.

For the sunbeds, we do supplement these with 16 large bean-bags (as shown on your photo) and so providing nearly 60 loungers; which is normally enough each day as many Guests often day trips out, visit other beaches, etc. We will certainly keep your feelings on record for review and add this to other Guests feedback. We regret if during your stay you were left with loungers to relax on and apologize if this has taken any of the enjoyment out of your stay.

Currently our bar closes at 10pm as we wish to keep the atmosphere, peaceful and respectful around the resort. Again your comments will be kept on-board and will be considered as we continuously try to improve and develop our service.

Regarding the Housekeeping issues this is something different and is completely unacceptable from our side and we wholeheartedly apologize. I think that you can see from other reviewers that we pride ourselves in the cleanliness of our resort alongside the friendliness. I have spoken to our housekeeping to express to them how such a drop in their standards can affects our Guests satisfaction with our services and their enjoyment.

We hope that for your next stay it can be a perfect effort from us rather than a "good try"

Best Regards