We spent here one week in April 2013 & were happy overall with our choice. If possible we would give 3.5 stars. For a place aspiring to set itself apart from other resorts on the island we have some comments however.
First what we liked:
- beautiful, puristic design of the hotel, including outside areas. Buildings, plants, lighting, colours are all perfectly matched
- outstanding swimming pool / bar right on the beach. Perfect place for a lazy day which makes you think twice whether you really want to go anywhere else on the island
- good gym room
And for our critical remarks:
- missing storage place for luggage and clothes. In a hotel like this I don't want to look at my backpack standing in the corner for a week
- same thing in the bathroom, way too little place to put cosmetics, toothbrush, towels, so you are constantly fighting chaos :)
- When we arrived we liked the floor to ceiling windows a lot. However, during our stay the lower half was covered with a semi-transparent film, apparently for 'privacy' reasons. For us, it somewhat destroyed the airy feeling of the room.
- During our stay the hotel was quite empty so noise was not a big issue. The room doors, however, have very poor sound insulation.
- The aircon was placed so it was blowing directly on our bed, also we found it hard to set it properly, so our room would neither turn into a fridge nor a sauna. Perhaps coming from cold northern Europe we are not professionals dealing with these things :)
- Service: most of the staff are friendly, however English is often an issue. Also we did not have the impression that staff receive much basic professional training. Barman having to check what his cocktails are made from, cups and glasses at the pool not getting cleared away for a long time, staff at breakfast sometimes seemed to be somehow frightened when you talk to them. Room service was impeccable, though.
- Compared to our experience at other hotels in Thailand, breakfast is mediocre, not much on offer beyond white toast, muesli, some fruit and eggs in different variations. We need to have our cholesterol checked after this stay :)
- The hotel restaurant in principle also does lunches and dinners, however this service was practically in come while we stayed at the Coast. To even see the menu you have to explicitly ask for it at the restaurant counter. In any case the restaurant looked so dead that we never considere eating there for lunch/dinner.
So, to sum it up once again, a beautiful hotel that does not quite fulfil its potential.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Contact us direct for the best rates available. Stylish and contemporary, our design is based on outdoor living bringing Koh Phangan's picturesque sunset beach and the tropical atmosphere into our resort, making it a special place for everyone to relax, enjoy and remember.Retreat to the peace and relaxation of our Sunset Beach after enjoying the island's colorful nightlife.Be our guest, make friends and experience the unique island of Koh Phangan with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.