“Paradise”

The Coast Resort - Koh Phangan
Ranked #7 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed January 31, 2013

As a travel photographer for a well known guide book, I've been fortunate enough to travel around the world for the past 5 years. I've been to Koh Phangan twice before staying for a few months at a time so I know the island quite well now. I was given a heads up about this new resort opening up in Haad Rin so decided to book myself in for a few days to see what all the fuss was about. I really was not disappointed!

I was among the first of the guests to arrive so everything was brand spanking new! The design through the resort is ultra modern and minimalist but with a slight thai twist on it. Beautiful gardens that run through the resort where it finally opens up to a breathtaking infinity pool that drops on to the beach. As this is the west side of the island, you get the sunsets.. and these sunsets are insane! (check the photo I've attached, took it with my iphone!) There aren't any breaking waves and the sea is SO calm that when looking from by or within the infinity pool.. you get the strangest perspective.. like being at the edge of the world! Trust me, it's special.

Also, whilst doing this, get a cocktail or 2! They are outrageously good. As is the chef! The menu was a bit limited but I was told it was just an initial idea and would be added to and tweaked. We were all there during a soft opening so that is completely understandable. I literally tried everything on the menu and it was all so so good! I'm pretty sure they scouted the chef from Samui? Whatever the case, it was perfect. Try the Lamb Massaman Curry if they still have it!

The rooms themselves are really spacious and simple. When you think about it, there's not really much in there but it's everything you need. Beds are stupidly comfortable, huge flat screen tv with various cable channels (and USB slot) just incase you want to chill out from the madness. Bathrooms are also clean and bright. The hairdryer made me laugh a little bit in its design but that's a minor issue!

Location wise, I'd personally say the best on the island. It's about 5 minutes to walk to the full moon party beach and main shops and restaurants. So really close but just far away enough that you get peace and quiet. Any further away from the FMP beach would not be possible and you'd have to manoeuvre over the massively steep and windy hill pass that connects to baan tai/thongsala area. That's why I think it's the best location!

The main thing I noticed about my stay here was the staff and management. It's clear that the staff haven't just been chucked in together - there's a really positive relationship between them which has clearly been worked on to the point where it's like a little family that work there. Everyone's always smiling and the whole vibe from the place when you walk in is exactly what you'd want whilst your away on your travels/holiday. Happy and laid back. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone.. it was absolutely faultless in service.

Adam, the manager from the UK, was a top guy from the moment I walked through the door and again was faultless. Heaps of information on the island.. which I thought I knew quite well already.. but found out loads more cool stuff to do. Probably the most friendly, helpful manager I've met in my travelling time. Thanks to him if he's reading! And the team!

I had such an awesome time whilst there which is why I've gone to the effort of writing this incredibly long review. I can only apologies if you've got this far.

Basically, if it's in your budget, stay here. It is THE best. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank EdNortonPhoto
TheCoastResort, General Manager at The Coast Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Hi Ed. Well where or how do we start responding to such a glowing review especially from a professional traveller; the word ‘Thanks’ just isn’t enough. We are so pleased to see that you appreciated every aspect of our resort; its location, design, concept and our service. I’m also personally overwhelmed at the positive comments you’ve written about me; thank you so much. On behalf of myself and the Team here you were a great guy to have around and you’re more than welcome back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,260)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here last year and I think The Coast is a wonderful place to stay in Koh Phangan , The staff were friendly, they are always happy and smiling.The room was very nice & comfortable and more importantly it was extremely clean.
Overall we loved the hotel, definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aboutkoy

Hi Koy; it was great to know that even for our November soft opening we gave a good enough service during our trial run to warrant a Trip Advisor review. This really gave us the confidence for our Christmas Grand Opening that we could make people happy which is what we are here to do.
Many thanks for the positive feedback and many thanks for recommending us.
Adam and everyone here

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at The Coast Resort for 4 nights and enjoyed every minute of it. Everything was absolutely beautiful and they had everything we wanted- an infinity pool, great restaurant, pool bar, gym, a beach practically on your doorstep, awesome rooms and the comfiest bed I've ever slept in. That was all fantastic, but really it was the staff that made our trip memorable- they remembered everyone personally and went above and beyond to make our stay perfect. A trip to The Coast will become a yearly tradition for us hopefully...

1  Thank NoniJane3

Hi Noni thank you so much for this review and please pass on our thanks to Ellen for her kind (and funny) posts on our “Friends Of The Coast” FB page; we hope you’ve found an adequate substitute for our whiskey-sours on the rest of your travels. If not I’ll email you our recipe or you can just look forward to your next visit and next pool-side drink upon your yearly tradition and pilgrimage to Koh Phangan. And as thanks for your support we’ll try to go ‘beyond’ “above and beyond” when we welcome you again.
Adam and everyone at The COAST Resort .... especially the Team at the bar

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here for 3 days. We had a lovely time there. The rooms are clean and modern with fantastic air-con. The staff couldnt be more helpful and friendly. The pool is amazing with a stunning sea view that all merged together. The swim up bar in the pool is a great touch too. When we ate at the resort the food was very good and fresh. If you want class service with a friendly smile, a beautiful base in Koh Phangan and a relaxing atmosphere then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kimberley and Oliver; I know I’ve emailed you guys already privately but I just wanted to thank you publicly for your kind words. As I said previously such feed-back gives us the motivation to do our jobs well and with feeling as we recruited our whole team based not solely on experience in the hotel industry but by looking for ‘people persons’ who genuinely want to take care of our guests and each other. We’re happy that we gave you a place to relax and your review has helped keep our friendly smiles.
See you again soon
Adam and the Team

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

What a great place!! The staff greeted us as soon as we stepped through the door, they were friendly and helpful. They all speak English & provided us with a cold glass of water. The room is just as you see on the website. It's clean, modern & very comfortable. The pool is fabulous. The biggest decision was whether to swim in the sea or the pool, I did both. There are showers by the pool to wash off any sand. There is a DJ for the next three afternoons by the pool, in the build up to the full moon. I have truly found my idea of heaven, laying in the sun, drinking cool beers & taking dips in the pool. The hotel grounds are kept spotless. Could not ask for more, I'm a very happy traveller :))

• Stayed: January 2013

Hey Hazel; thanks for such a great review. I'm glad that we could live up to your expectations and more by the sound of it. To hear your say that with us you've found your idea of heaven and paradise and that we've made you a very happy traveller ... well that's made us a very happy team !
Pass our regards on to Natalie and we really hope to see you again in the future. I'll have the beers chilled and waiting by the pool !
Take good care.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is perfect! One of the dest I've ever staid in. Everything is new and modern. We was upgraded to the suite because the hotel was fully booked and we were on a honeymoon. Nice and cozy bed, beautiful bathroom withe a bath and a shower, little kitchen and a living space. Perfect view to the pool and the sea. Nice breakfast , nothing special... And 10 minutes walk to the shops and restaurants area.

• Stayed: January 2013
TheCoastResort, General Manager at The Coast Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

You are more than welcome Alina as it made us happy to offer our exclusive Suite Room toyou on your Honeymoon. It is a great feeling when we meet a lovely couple like the two of you and we actually get the opportunity to do something special for you to help you celebrate such a wonderful occasion in your lives. It’s a great feeling to know that your time with us was perfect. We hope that we can welcome you back next year for your anniversary.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

From the very first moment you put a feet on the ground of the hotel The Coast you are entering another world of Koh Phangan. Stylish modern buildings, sharp edges and a lot of air and glass.
The rooms are all brand new and spotless clean. Forget about the dirty streets, the drunk people and the noise on the streets...the Coast is so much more " Koh Samui Luxury " then Koh Phangan Party". This is the perfect place for people who like to celebrate like "Koh Phangan style" but don't want to live like it.
The infinity pool and the pool bar...you could compare it easily with world class hotels. Just have a drink, floating in the pool and enjoying the sunset....just wow.

The staff is friendly and the bar stuff awesome. The hotel manager Adam is a perfect young and competent gentleman helping you in every situation during the day. At the pool bar in the night he and his staff are easy going, laid back buddies. We loved the whole atmosphere.

There are only a few things I don't like. If you like to stay longer in your room, get one at the top level. The rooms at the floor lever are really floor level. If you don't close the curtains there is no chance to hide...it's like a shopwindow.
The restaurent menu is lacking of any dessert, but I am sure they changed this already ;)

General spoken...the hotel is expensive, but you get what you paid for.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much Dani for this thoughtful review.
It is satisfying to hear that you understood and valued our concept of creating another world within Koh Phangan. Although this island is famous for its parties and events the true beauty of Koh Phangan is the island itself; the beaches, the mountains, the sunsets. We have aimed to make a unique resort in design and atmosphere that provides a retreat that allows our guests to see Koh Phangan for what it really is; an amazing island. And of course we hope that along the way we can provide an open and friendly service to make our guests time here even more enjoyable. We aim to be your “easy going, laid back buddies.” Thank you for your appreciation of this.
May I take the time to comment on the two points raised that you would like us to improve on?
Firstly the issue of privacy relating to the ground floor rooms; part of our concept is of openness within the resort as we wish to encourage all our guests to join together and join with us and so the fully glazed front wall and door to these rooms was in keeping with this. We have however now considered your comment and are in the process of finding a solution to create a partial frosted glass effect to this wall and door; keeping the rooms open whilst offering much needed privacy. We will have this completed very shortly. You will then be able to relax in your room with you curtains drawn back, letting the natural light into your room and allowing you to see the blue Koh Phangan skies whilst having the privacy you need within your living space.
As for the desert menu we’ll be sure to have one or two selections for you on your next stay here with us.
Thanks again for your comments they’ve given us encouragement and also given us ideas to improve our resort and the experience for future guests. We hope to see you here again so that you can see and enjoy the improvements we’ve made thanks to your help.