Review Highlights
One of the best experiences of my life

Agama is truly amazing. The teachers are so knowledgeable, skilled and genuinely dedicated to... read more

Reviewed April 17, 2019
657ebbah
via mobile
Authentic yoga teachings in a highly organized, structured, spiritual university

My husband and I first completed the Agama Level One Intensive Hatha Yoga course in January 2018... read more

Reviewed February 23, 2019

from $16.69
from $20.03
from $38.38
More Info
All reviews life changing experience swami vivekananda spiritual guidance daily life deeper understanding highly recommend this school teacher training koh phangan teachings asana tantra lecture yoga practice knowledge courses science
Selected filters
Reviewed September 1, 2018

I finally attended the Agama Yoga Retreat this June after after a year of wanting to do so. The agama yoga retreat comprised Tantra Foundations, Relationships and the Femininity course. The school not only met my expectations but surpassed them. The tantra courses where informative, practical and safe.
I remembered being hesitant a year ago about the school because of all the mixed reviews. The best advise I got before coming here was, "know your boundaries and you will be fine". Indeed during the courses, we students were constantly reminded of respecting our boundaries. To my surprise, I was never even close to hitting any boundary at all. It's important to say that I'm a 500hr yoga teacher and have no history of sexual abuse. I'm a in healthy/ stable place and I share my experience from this perspective.
After the culmination of my 3 weeks, I was sold. I was hungry for more knowledge and would have stay there studying for 2 years the full curriculum if I had the means to do so. This is not any yoga school, there is substance in Agama. If you're serious about the path, have common sense and know how to keep your boundaries, Agama is for you.

Date of experience: June 2018
7  Thank ALtravelyogi
Reviewed August 30, 2018 via mobile

In my experience of Agama Yoga, systemic misuse of trust from teachers frequently lead to close friends of mine having very questionable sexual encounters with senior staff members, and the swani.

In my opinion this is not a safe place for women.

Date of experience: September 2017
56  Thank Josh M
Reviewed August 22, 2018
This review may contain information about traveler safety at this business.

I visited agama and took a few of its classes. The culture really weirded me out and I always had to leave early. The teachings and energy felt real off and Cult-like, but I kept going back because I wanted to learn about yoga and tantra. Then the leader of the school, the swami, and many of the senior teachers all of a sudden disappeared and it has been a month without any word from any of them. The Agama managment had a meeting for everyone and we were all informed that the leader and many teachers had been accused of sexually abusing many women at the school by many students and other teachers. its funny that they'd just run away and not say anything and just leave. it kind of makes me think they're guilty along with everyhting else. After some time away, my experience at agama really sank in and I started to see it as a sex cult. It’s one of those things that you don’t easily realize because it was hidden just enough... but everyone would stare at me like a piece of meat. I was repeatly told that unprotected sex with many people would heal my trauma, I was told to go on a strict diet, vomit every morning before eating breakfast that its ok that it produced brain fog. I was also offered genital massage by many within the school and was told it would heal me. Everyone wore white and they had coloured sashes they’d wear that showed their rank within the cult. The agama management said they'd do a review of the sexual abuse, but if its a cult, and it's reviewing itself, so I wouldn't expect anything to come out of it... Plus its Thailand and all those who were have accused the abuse are foreigners and there isn't really much they can do and the school will probably just try to keep on doing what its always done.

Date of experience: July 2018
59  Thank potion18
Reviewed August 19, 2018

The short version of my review is: Do your research. Seriously! Be aware that the bulk of Agama‘s teachings come from or are inspired by Gregorion Bivolaru, who was the main hatha yoga and tantra teacher of Agama’s founder Swami Vivekananda (Narcis Tarcau). Especially if you plan to do a teacher training course, double-check the current status of Agama's membership with Yoga Alliance.

Here is the long version of my review:

I have completed Agama levels 1 to 5 and have done a few of their workshops recently. All in all, I have spent nine months at the school. They are teaching a complex mix of hatha yoga, hindu and buddhist traditional tantra, neo-tantra, daoism, christianity, modern science and more. Agama‘s teachings come from distinctly different traditions and are served with a generous amount of what I believe are their own fabrications. I specifically could not trace back their take on femininity/masculinity to any existing tradition. In my view, experimenting with a hunter/prey or master/slave polarity does not teach people to respect or set appropriate sexual boundaries, to say the least.

Agama mixes valuable traditional/scientific knowledge inextricably with potentially harmful fabrications and it can become a full time job to distinguish what is what.

Agama Yoga temporarily suspended all courses from 30 July to 4 August. This is their own explanation from the Agama facebook page: "In light of recent events, we, the Agama management committee, will be dedicating our attention during the upcoming week to a comprehensive investigation into the allegations made online and a responsible course of action as we consult with our legal team and the appropriate local authorities. We have contracted with independent investigators to get to the bottom of these allegations."

Date of experience: June 2018
50  Thank Agnes B
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Since 2013 I am studding at agama yoga (I started in India & moved then to Thailand). From the first day on I was fascinated by the combination of western knowledge & eastern philosophy,which I never experienced elsewhere. It's not the fitness, trendy kind of yoga, the teachings are profound & very unique. Agamas yoga is life changing, not only for me but also for hundreds of other precious souls I have been practising yoga with in the past 4,5years.
I highly recommend this school & feeling enormous gratitude to all teachers & friends I met until the present day.

Date of experience: August 2018