“Worst restaurant experience ever ”
Review of Sweet Cafe

Sweet Cafe
Ranked #195 of 419 Restaurants in Ko Pha Ngan
Cuisines: European, German
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we walked in it was unpleasant. We decided to go because it was packed, and we figured it was so for a reason. The owner who took our order could not have been more rude. She made a very snide and rude remark to my friend when he was just trying to ask a simple question. And when I asked to confirm that there was no meat in a dish that was vaguely described in English (I have a life-threatening allergy to meat), the woman got nasty with me and began talking to me like I was 2 years old. I honestly cannot remember the last time I felt so upset with an interaction, let alone the owner of a restaurant.

Aside from all that, the food was subpar to put it nicely. And the prices are ridiculously high for what you get. The whole experience was so surreal. I have no idea why the place gets business nor how the owner gets away with the manner in which she treats her customers. I don't like to say things like this, but don't bother with this place. You'd feel better throwing your money into the ocean rather than eating here.

3  Thank Joey613

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We had a few hours to kill after our nightboat trip to Phangan and came across this breakfast cafe. The menu selection is great with heaps of different types of breakfast. Great fresh coffee too. The German lady as many reviewers refer to is direct but friendly. Yes, we were also asked to store our water bottle which wasn't an issue for us at all.

Toilet is spotless (not very common in Thailand), nice smelling with oils and a candle, and cleaned very often.

The food was good, the Dutch breakfast was very tasty and we had a choice of all kinds of bread. Chose the dark bread, very tasty. Fruit salad, muesli and yoghurt was very good too, as were the pretzels. Moreover, as X-Mas is coming up they had several types of German cakes, very yummy.

2 breakfasts, 1 serving of pretzels and 3 coffees costs us only 400 Baht. Not bad considering we ate the worlds worst pizzas the nigth before at Milano pizzeria in Surat and were presented with a 650 Baht bill...

Would definately return to this cafe.

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here for lunch and was immediately asked to remove our water bottle from the table!! - who doesn't walk around town with a bottle of water! The menu was a mess, couldn't read half the prices and stickers everywhere, German(?) Lady seemed quite pushy so only stayed for a drink, my husband went to pay and as he left he could have sworn she muttered something under her breath. Much better places around!

1  Thank Kate B
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Common atmosphere is terrible. They asked to remove bottle of water we bringed with. They afraid we will drink not theys own water! Also a lot of flies there.

1  Thank Sergei D
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I popped into Sweet cafe by accident, as I was next door in the travel office. I was glad I did!

They do amazing German meatballs (didnt expect that on Ko Phangan!) as well as delicious coffee/shakes and Brownies.

The owner Irene, is a lovely lady and I spent a while chatting with her. Sabine is also really nice and both gave some god advice on the island and surrounding area.

The location is good, as its right next to the port and I waited here for my ferry to arrive.

I will most certainly return when I come back to Ko Phangan in October.

Keep up the good work! :)