“A very promising place...”

Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane
Ranked #6 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed March 16, 2014

It was not the first nor second stay in Panghan, but i used to stay in one other hotel. I wanted to try newly Kupu Kupu, as i have so many very good memories from Ubud. Well, the villas are very nice and comfortable, all the staff makes it outmost to please and help you in whatever manner they know and can! I can't consider it excellent only, because, i know that in the future, they will be better.. F/B has a lot to improve, breakfast, has to be richer, specially in goods they have plenty around! I will keep the same very good memories from this stay and intend to be back in the future..

Room Tip: The villas closer to be beach, are nicer...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Zebanaco,

Thanks for your comment about your stay in our resort. You rich feedback will help us to improve our service and product and we are sincerely thankful of for the time you took to do it.

Our breakfast offer a mix between a la carte dishes and buffet items. We are actually targeting quality over quantity and we do not have a huge breakfast buffet like other resorts, that generate unwanted spoilage.

We are a eco-friendly resort and respect local communities, and for this, we have to think our product differently.

According to our size (23 villas), our buffet size is correct. We offer 10 dishes a la carte, as we think that a pancakes or scrambled eggs that seat more than 15 minutes on a buffet are not good any longer.

We are sorry our buffet breakfast did not pleased you.

Once again, thanks for your feedback, and hope you will be back to enjoy our homemade bread and croissant, 100% Fresh juices and selection of French Cheeses!

Fabrice Lopinto

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

On the left side of the hotel is a big construction area. You can hear the noise at the whole resort.
We canceled our booking after one night - no relaxation was possible. The hotel didn't want to return our money for the non used nights (the hotel told us it is a hotel policy because of a special offer). The excuse was "the noise is not audible at the room" - but it was audible even inside the room, if you have turned off the loud air condition. However who wants to stay at the room during the whole day?! After several discussions and phone calls we got the money back for the left over nights just because we've payed the regular price for the night (about 350 US$ per night incl. tax) Furthermore the resort is not worth the money. One year after opening the resort is already in a bad state. The breakfast offer is very poor. We have chosen a resort on Koh Samui - almost the same price but a real luxury stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Lini1985
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Lini1985,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay in our resort. We do appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us.

Our resort is extending that is true. We do not use any heavy mechanical equipment such as caterpilars and other so we limit the noise. Moreover the extension is situated on the other side of the resort, apart from the hotel landscape and existing villas.

As you book directly via a 3rd party website with a non refundable rate, we have to deal with them in your favor by accepting to refund your money. However, since you had a promotional rate,, this 3rd party website would have remove the full commission for the value of your stay (Promotional package Stay 4 pay 3). We change your night rate for a regular rate and avoid you being charged for an over commission. It is unfortunate you were not informed this way.

Regarding our breakfast being poor, we got positive comments about guest staying in the same time as you did, about the quality of our breakfast. We will consider that as a personal point of view.

As I have said in earlier guest reply, our breakfast as nothing compare in size to huge 5 stars hotel that you can find in Thailand, but can compete in taste and quality to the European standards. Our Chef if French and it is not so common to get a breakfast prepared by a French chef on a Thai Island and getting the chef himself coming to check if everything is fine....

Once again. we thank you for your feedback and we thank you for the time you spent with us in our resort. Even if your first experience was not up to your liking, we hope to see you again soon, and have the chance to give you a positive experience this time.

Fabrice Lopinto

Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I are staying nearby and spotted this delightful looking hotel as we walked along the beach, we decided to pop in for dinner after watching an amazing sunset...
I can only say I'm really glad we did!
The setting is amazing, really nice modern looking restaurant set in lovely grounds with a fabulous view. The menu seems modern with a European twist, it is certainly more expensive than other nearby restaurants but I will come I that at the end. We chose tempura and calamari to start, both very good, tempura slightly let down with only two prawns but the calamari was one of the best I've ever eaten. My partner had a red (medium) curry and I went with green (spicy) both were excellent, portion size good and it was a very enjoyable course. We then had a chocolate "lava" desserts to share I can only say it was amazing and one of the best desserts I've ever eaten.
The service throughout was perfect, attentive but not intrusive and ALL of the staff were very friendly.
Only negative (ish) was 10% service charge put on by the hotel, I would've tipped anyway but I like to do that myself, it makes it seem impersonal to do it that way but that's a minor point.
All in all a nice meal, worth the extra charge for a special night, and for a meal for two plus alcoholic drinks and tip it came to 1315 baht, not mega expensive and we had a lovely evening - thank you!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Mooky9,

Thanks for such a fine gourmet review! We are very pleased that the French cuisine of our chef Bruno pleased your senses and that we got awarded ''One of the best desserts you ever had''.

When it comes to the 10% service charge, this is part of the Thai Law Rules and Regulations and we cannot avoid it. 10% of service charge has to be added and you can see it in every restaurant you eat Thailand. We are sorry this importunate you slightly.

We thank you once again for your diner with us and look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Location is superb. The bungalows are spread from the hill top down to the private beach, amongst palm trees, with a very picturesque sunset view, very idyllic. Individual bungalows have a plunge pool overlooking the garden which is probably the best feature.

The rooms in the bungalows are very large, with half of the space taken by the open plan bathroom with a stand alone bath tube. However, some of the furniture and the general finish is rather dated and in need of senior updating. wifi was working but was rather slow and there was no music/radio/iplayer facilities, which is not acceptable for the most expensive hotel of the island, which is 5* boutique pretentious.

The private beach is rather charming as first impression, but not ideal to swim, as you have to walk for over 100m until the water reaches above your waste. I might have been unlucky in the spot I chosen, but still, what's the point of a private beach if you have to go swimming somewhere else?

Breakfast was very underwhelming, with very limited selection of fruit, juices and vegetables, more like 3 stars than 5. Most disappointing, the staff was rather cold and unwelcoming. I was asked 3 times when I arrived why I stayed only 1 night - as if it's as a crime and I had something to hide - and on the day I was leaving I was overcharged the ticket to go back to koh samui (including taxi rides on both sides) by 100%. Only when I ask to a breakdown of the fares I was told that this is just the hotel overcharging the standard fares rather than providing their own superior transportation. Basically the 100% overcharging is their booking fee. Eventually I was refunded and it was a small amount of money, but very unpleasant to be treated this way, the only bad experience of this type in Thailand.

In summary, poor value for money. All would be acceptable for 1/3 of what they charge, but at full price there are much better places out there.

Room Tip: some of the bungalows close to the beach have a great sunset view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank FedeMTC
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear FredeMoskve,

Thanks for your extend feedback about our resort. All your different feedbacks will definetly help you improve our service.
We however would like to give you some precisions about your experience of stay, as it seems that their is some misunderstanding.

Regarding the transfer to Samui, our front desk staff booked for you a full transfer to Samui from our hotel to the airport, this include taxi + boat ticket and the price include service charge and VAT as every price policy of Thailand. You will agree that this kind of service ''key in hands'' have a higher value than a simple speed boat ticket. This booking as been made to your request, and we apologize you did misunderstand the price point at the time the receptionist did book your trip.

Regarding our beach, our water is not shallow, but as you mentioned, after around 70 m of swim, the depth is going to 2m all the way to 17m. Since we are located on an island, we have a coral reef, and this is part of the geographical aspect of the island, and its natural beauty for snorkeling.

Our villas are made at 90% of wood, imported from Bali, the furniture inside are as well imported from Bali and hand made. The irregularity you will find in the wood is normal as it is part of the design.
None hotel on the island have this kind of specifications. Our sink are carved in lava stone rocks and bath tub have unique design. We are sorry that you did not liked our unique design.

We do not provide ipod docks or other radio in our villas, the sound of nature and waves are for us the best live music available, and it is part of our concept. Our TV however offer a range of 20 international channels.

Our morning staff will be briefed about the quality of their service and we thank you for the point you made on it. When they ask you about your lengh of stay, it was a friendly approach and we did not mean to make you desapointed. Thai culture is famous to be courteous and friendly.

Our breakfast menu offer 15 dishes ''A la carte'' as well as a buffet with croissant and home made bread. We privilege quality over quantity, and I can certify that none breakfast in the island is made by a French chef, and all our juices ( 6 flavors) are entirely fresh. Once more we privilege quality over quantity...

I thank you one more time for the time you spent writting this very rich feedback and I invite you to come back to our resort where the best hospitality will be provided to you. Feel free to write me an email to my adress : fabrice@kupuphangan.com if you wish to give me more details about your stay or future visit

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The resort has a happy, peaceful feel which rubs off on you as soon as you arrive. The staff are all smiling, happy and kind.

The villas are set out well and I think all of them have a seaview. I was upgraded and for my first night I stayed in a seaview villa at the top of the resort, it has views to die for and it's own pool, but as it's next to the road, so you can hear car engines. I moved into a sunset view bungalow with pool, which was perfectly quiet with an equally fantastic view, this room felt very private. As the resort filled up for the Full Moon, I moved into the seaview room I initially booked, which is the cheapest room type, but this was great too, a huge room big enough for a family, but without it's own pool. My parents stayed in the beach view villa which was a few steps from the sea and the swimming pool. Although it was more visible to other guests it isn't a problem and it still felt very quiet and private.None of the villas are more than a two minute walk to the beach or pool.

The resort is expanding and there are building works to the left hand side, you can only hear it from the rooms situated on the left of the resort, so you may want to check this with the resort before arriving.

The resort team do a great job maintaining the beautiful grounds and bungalows in a relatively underdeveloped part of the island. You can see the staff all putting in a great deal of effort to make sure the guests have a lovely time. We were there on Valentines Day and the resort organised a lovely evening, we watched them spend hours preparing the tables and setting up the band. Each bungalow received a lovely box of chocolates too! The restaurant serves great food for lunch and dinner, you'll definitely want to eat a couple of times here. Breakfasts are good too, you can order off the menu or just have items from the buffet, it's up to you!

Within a 10 min walk along the beach either side of the resort are several cheap and cheerful places to eat and drink and Tong Sala is 10 mins away by taxi.

The spa is very high quality and the therapists are highly trained.

The resort is luxury but it's delivered in a low key, unpretentious way which perfectly suits Ko Phangan.

Room Tip: Villas at the back are a bit closer to the road so can be noisier, next level down are quiet, very p...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear TRAM2014,

Thanks for your feedback about our resort and gardens. We take a lot of care in our garden and villas and we are glad you notify it.

Our resort is extending indeed, but the construction noise is minimal as we do not use any heavy equipment such as caterpillar. Having villas on both side of the resort does not create any noise disturbance as the noise coming from the construction is well managed.

We thank you again for the time you spent in your feedback and hope to see you soon in our resort for your next visit on the island.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Hello,
Hello,
I came with my future wife after being few month ago in another hotel around. In short, the team are extremely professional, the breakfast is one of the best ever, and Fabrice, the resort manager will make everything for you at any time.
Trust me on this one, I’m working around the globe, and I’ve found a place which I defiantly going to visit again.
U must check in.
Enjoy life,
Eyal (eyal@votalix.com)

Room Tip: well, basically, all of the northern side is great.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eyal S
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Eyal,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback about your stay in our resort. We put a lot of attention in our breakfast with fresh juice and freshly made croissant and bakeries to start your day.

We are glad you notify it and my team and I will keep on ensuring the best standards of service possible

Once again thanks for your comment and we hope to see you soon for your next visit on the island.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

What more can I say .... postcard perfect! Staff amazing! Atmosphere, location, accommodation, service and amenities are all first class. The only thing I could fault was due to so many changes in management and staff from when our original booking was made eight months prior up until a day before we left there were discrepancies regarding our accommodation. You should be very proud you have such wonderful and dedicated staff who interact with the guests to help make their holiday that little bit special.

Stayed: January 2014
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Kazzie67,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay. Even if you enjoyed your time with us, we sincerely apologize for our misunderstanding regarding your booking. As all got sorted out, it seems that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our team and it training is the core of our business and we take pride in their quality of service. We thanks for your comment and we will pass it on the whole team.

Thanks again.