“so disappointing - overpriced for less than average facility and service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seetanu Bungalows

Seetanu Bungalows
Sydney
“so disappointing - overpriced for less than average facility and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I don't usually review hotels as from first hand experience as a hotelier, everyone has their own take on a place and the individual experience can vary greatly on exactly the same day in exactly the same type of room with the guests even eating exactly the same dinner -- you can't please everyone as the saying goes... We arrived at Seetanu after a long journey having booked 2 weeks in a seaview room, greatly excited by tripadvisor reviews and the thought of a sweet bungalow on a beautiful beach. As well we had had congenial communications with the reservations manager so felt really positive about it all. We left after one horrible night. There was no one to greet us on arrival (highy unusual in Asia/Thailand), no one to carry our luggage and when the owner did come from the office to assist us, begrudgingly wheeled one of our suitcases to the bungalow (admittedly we did have more than our usual one small suitcase each (2 each) as we are on our way home after living and working in Asia for the past 2 years...).

Upon arrival the bungalow was such a letdown and not at all as it was depicted on the website. And definitely not worth the +US$90 per night. Shabby curtains, stuffy hot room (they knew what time we arrived - no air con on for guests' comfort???), dilapidated furniture, wet bathroom floor. And it went from bad to worse as the evening progressed... Not long after arriving and wanting to go for a swim in the lovely ocean we discovered there were no towels for the beach, only threadbare towels for the bathroom. I then went to the office and asked the owner for a beach towel and was told rather rudely they did not supply beach towels. I must say I bristled at the owners attitude and in the end asked for an extra towel each to which he acquiesced with a begrudging smirk. After 20 minutes still no extra towel for a swim, so went to the office again and after some running around the young friendly assistant bought me the towels. Who travels with a beachtowel or even bath towel these days???? Even providing a light cotton beach towel which costs nothing and which are available everywhere in asia would suffice and after all, you are right on the beach so of course people want a beach towel. And dare I say, for US$90 a night and being right on the beach one would expect a beach towel in the room!

After returning to the room I glanced from the bed and noticed that the curtain above the luggage rack upon which my suitcase was opened was completely drenched and dripping with water from the airconditioner and there was a lake of water forming on the floor and unfortunately in my open suitcase as well. My husband went to advise someone to be told that they would send some towels to mop up the floor but none ever arrived nor was anyone sent to see to the problem -- again we had to remind staff and get the towels ourselves. We had wanted to shower before dinner only to discover there was no water (lots still forming on the floor from the air conditioner though) -- again another trip to the office to be told the tank had drained that day and would be filled in about 20 minutes... 2 hours later after a dreadful Thai dinner, still no water and yet another trip to the office this time for bottled water to at least have a sponge bath before bed (the young assistant guy was really helpful and trying to please everyone in both the restaurant as well as us for whom everything seemed to be amiss...). Apparently this lack of water was known at the time of check in but no one had informed us of any such thing. Meanwhile the aircon rattled on and continued to leak and the doof music from down the beach began to thump on (...until 6 am) and the lake in the room increased in size. Finally the water did come on, however the shower tap kept on falling off as the thread was bare and whenever you finally managed to turn the water on, water leaked all over the bathroom floor creating yet another lake in the bathroom and continued through the night creating yet another lake which we had to wade through to get to the toilet in the morning.

Finally seeing the absurdity of the situation and falling into bed laughing at it all and wondering if we were out of sync with everything: you know -- murphys law - it never rains but pours (at least airconditioners and faucet outlets were pouring where we were..), etc etc., we went to pull up the sheet only to find that a single sized sheet had been arranged sideways on the queen sized bed so that the sheet only covered us to our waist and our feet stuck out from the bottom. I ended up sleeping under my sarong and my husband used the single sheet. We continued to laugh as really, who could believe such occurrences in one hotel room -- Basil Faulty's ghost was certainly lurking in the rafters.... Meanwhile, puddles continued to form in both the bedroom and the bathroom and the doof dooffed on....

I do understand that it is difficult to maintain houses and airconditioners and equipment in the tropics by the sea having to always battle the moisture from both the air and sea. And I do understand when it is busy and towards the end of the season it is easy to lose sight of the details and keep on top of everything that will keep your guests happy and comfortable. And I know how hard people work in the hotel industry and have total respect for that. However in the morning upon checkout my husband wanted to show the owner the problems with the room in the interest of other guests and he was not interested at all and seemingly knew about all the problems already!!! As a hotelier how can you ethically let a room with such problems?? To add insult to injury the owner showed no remorse at all and charged us the full amount for the room. Having grown up in hotels from having parents who owned a number of hotels throughout their working life and having been in the business myself, I could not believe the attitude of the owner - not even an offer of a free coffee for our discomfort. Not a single apology - only a sneer saying we were unhappy -- yep that was certainly an insightful observation especially after paying US$+90 for the night in what should have been at the most a $30 - $40 a night room even when everything worked! Then to top it off he charged us the 3% surcharge for the credit card transaction and could not even supply a copy of the credit card receipt because the paper had run out and obviously he had no intention of replacing it - at least while I was there. Come on... how hard can it be (I could have done it for him...) and surely there was an extra role of tape somewhere in the glassed in office... Clearly this man is in the wrong business and should not be in front of house. Never a smile only a sneer; never a moments pause or gesture to even try to make me feel okay about what was a truly dreadful hotel experience... he seemed to neither care for the place nor his guests...

The place itself could be charming with a sweet beach and laid back vibe. It did seem fairly clean though -- just not cared for and definitely overpriced. I don't mind if a place is simple and clean and funky and have had some of my best holidays in such places, but this just fell so short of everything it was made out to be and lacked any of the great hospitality of Thai people or of most people who choose to be in the hospitality industry.

As my mother always says it is called hospitality for a reason and there was nothing hospitable about this place whatsoever and am baffled by the number of positive reviews. Would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Alison895

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

For the price you pay, this is definitely worth a stay. The bungalows are basic but good enough and the complex is beautiful. Shower, sink, toilet etc all good. The staff are friendly and helpful and there is a small bar attached to the bungalows which provides a perfect opportunity to take a beer down to the beach.

This is by far the best part of Ko Phangan; beautifully quiet with nothing but massages, green curries and ambles. I rented a jeep and saw pretty much the whole of the island but was always glad to come back here. The beach is nice and the sea is calm and easy to swim in too.

Things to look out for nearby:

- A minor bird that actually coughs like an old man
- sea urchins; I got 5 of the spines in my foot from the sea so be careful
- Mama Poo's restaurant. Deliciously rustic with amazing food.
- Pirates bar (next door) chilled out cocktails over the sea (literally)

Wish I were still there.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GlobetrotterSPG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I just arrived today for a short stay. Thanks to Tripadvisor i came to visit it yesterday, the owners are extremely welcoming and friendly. The room is in very good condition. The restaurant is welcoming. The location is like a little paradise. I deeply recommand this place as long as it is run with love by the two young belgians who manage it. Rare place and atmosphere in this part of Thailand. You better make a reservation because the place is quite busy.

• Stayed March 2013
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here back in July. When we arrived the staff upgraded up to a beach view hut and couldn't do enough for us the whole time. Also the beach is pretty much empty which was really nice to enjoy a relaxing time after the mayhem of Bangkok!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom C
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have been there fore a week in February 2013 and it was really nice there. The beach is really nice and not crowded at all, but like on the whole west coast of Koh Phangan swimming is a little bit difficult during low tide.
The management is really nice and they try to fulfil every wish you have. Thong Sala and also Chaloklum are not that far (for both about 15 Minutes with a motorbike – 10 if you drive fast). The resort is nice and tidy nevertheless some of the bungalows would need a little bit renovation.

Room Tip: Take a Beachfront Bungalow
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RolG
Ko Samui, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I went to Seetanu Bungalows 2 months ago. I wanted to be in this area as I liked Seethanu beach last time for its wild and quiet atmosphere, and its infinite sea view.
I had the bungalow on the beach, absolutely "Beer appeal" when I have seen the hammock hanging under the tree; so I did, drinking a unique Carmelite Tripel on this beach. It was irrealistic for a while and then suddenly became great as I realized its was true thus...
I was suprised that mosquitoes did not come here, even if the location is near beautiful mangroves.
I have spent 2 nights with the music of the waves who put me to bed quickly, very nice!
Restaurant is simple and good.
Thanks to the simpahtic Belgian family who welcomed me as a friend.

Room Tip: Definitely a Belgian beer watching the sunset!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Domsamui
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We arrived at Seetanu bungalows on 30 dec 2012. After a short panic ( our booking agent had cancelled our booking!!) Paul sorted out a bungalow with a free upgrade and we got settled. Our bungalow was a beach view and was very nice short 10 steps to the beach or the restaurant. This is a family run resort by Quentin and his wife and Paul as the bar man/restaurant/general fab all round do gooder!!!! We felt very at home in such a relaxed environment. We was at the resort for NYE which we was welcomed/enjoyed to join in their celebrations. The bungalows are clean and cleaned on request. The beach is very quiet which we loved. All the staff are very helpful and friendly. We would recommend and we Will return. Thanks Paul & Quentin x

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple