“Very average”

Beach Resort Hacienda
Ranked #91 of 139 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with my fiancé. We were staying in the resorts nicest room which very spacious with fantastic views out over the sea, plus a nice balcony. However the air con didn't work and the bathroom was just a tiny wet room. They seem to have real issues with the cleaners, rooms weren't ready until quite a while after check in time and our room was not cleaned once while we were there, nor were we given clean towels until we asked for them. One of the staff told us the cleaners were 'ridiculously under paid so hard to get them to stay'.
The restaurant was also disappointing, dispite the number of staff hanging around watching tv, it took ages to get served. Food was good but expensive for what it was.
On the plus side, the pool is great, big, deep and really clean, plus a pool bar.
This plus is just a little too laid back for its own good and could do with a real shake up.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Fun resort with everything you need. Staff friendly from the off with plenty of English speaking. Rooms were cleaned as frequently as you wanted, diving company on site, restaurant serving good food. We were recommended the Mexican around the corner which was incredible. Reception staff arranged taxis at any time, sorted transport for half moon party. Would return, in fact.....tempted to beg for a job. May be back after Samui and Koh Tao

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2013

"Hacienda Resort & Beach Club":

This place should be blacklisted as there is nothing good about it.

The rooms are not clean, the food is average and very expensive (almost only Western food and very few Thai dishes are available), the staff doesn't give a damn about customers, the location is bad.

And also "Beach": please take off this word as there is no beach at all but only rocks.

We have been travelling a lot in Thailand and in Asian countries, we stayed in very different places, very cheap bungalows as well as cheap hotels, the Hacienda is certainly one of the worst places we have seen so far. And it is far more expensive than other places we know in Koh Phanghan. And we are not looking for comfort but for cleanliness!

Room Tip: I really cannot recommend the Hacienda to anyone so no tip to help travelers choose a room: my only...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank EParsky
Reviewed January 11, 2013

If your looking for a fun place to stay, the hacienda is the one to stop at. We stayed there for 4 nights during that time we did the open water dive course. Luke and Ally were incredible and treated u like family. If you want to experience some of the local life, give the hotel a go. The staff are so kind and it may not be a five star resort but for what you pay in cost to stay, it'd more than its money's worth. We are returning again and meeting up with friends back at the hacienda at the end of our holiday =)

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed here over Christmas and New Year 2012 and was recommended it by a friend who had come here in 2009. It looked great and Erika from the resort was very helpful and friendly before I came and during booking. There was a bit of a hiccup during booking in that I booked direct through their site and there was no indication at the time of any minimum booking period. Despite this, she allowed me to book 2 nights fewer that the requirement in this instance.

I also bought into the 'Hacienda Experience' which included a beach scuba dive with the Hacienda Dive School, an island tour and an all you can eat and drink night. The island tour was ok but in hindsight I probably would wait till I go somewhere to book excursions in future. I upgraded the beach dive to a dive at Sail Rock which was the best thing I did there. I swam with a Whale Shark, Barracuda and saw loads of corals and colourful fishes. I loved this part so much I upgraded again to gain my PADI Open Water Certificate which was well worth the £230 or so I paid in the end for it all. Sadly though the Hacienda Experience wasnt completed as none of the staff had a single clue about it. Certainly none of the other guests had even heard about it. For this part I am receiving a refund which is good.

Now to the accommodation. I booked a wooden bungalow with cold water shower. To be honest, I was dreading the cold showers for tens days. I was picked up from the port by the Hacienda taxi at no charge and check in was very smooth. I was shown to my room by Jenny and was a little perplexed when I was introduced to my room as one of the ones they get most complaints about! It was pretty ramshackle, in honesty I think my garden shed at home probably was in better condition. Still, it was spacious, had a fan and much to my delight, it had a HOT shower! I later found out it was the only bungalow to have one. So that made up for the condition of the shed.. sorry I mean bungalow! The cleanliness wasnt brilliant. The toilet hadnt had a good scrub in ages, the walls were dirty in the bathroom and I really was tempted to go out any buy a bottle of bleach and scrubber to give the bathroom a good clean. the floor was a bit gritty and there was an ants nest in the wall. I could live with all this though but what I found most inconvenient was the complete lack of anything to hang your clothes on or something to put your make up and possessions on like some drawers or a little side table. There was no mirror in the main bedroom and the light was terrible in there anyway. My clothes had to be folded and put on the floor or kept in my suitcase. So most of them were creased the whole time I was there.I was a bit disappointed also that there was no hammock on the veranda that I had seen in the picture on the website...but never mind.

Onto the staff... on the whole the staff were great. The english guys, Roscoe and Rob were very friendly, Rob being especially funny. Erika was lovely and the owner, Michael was welcoming and friendly. Over all, the Thai staff were friendly. However, they have no concept of customer service whatsoever. You would be standing at the bar waiting for some attention and could wait there several minutes before they even looked to acknowledge you. Even dinging the bell right next to them they barely flinched to react at times. The food service was pretty slow at times as well. The food was reasonably good, a bit pricey though. Not enough 'authentic' thai dishes for me so I went out as much as possible to eat. There were a few really good thai places just down the road.

The pool was great and I loved the pool bar. I was disappointed to see that there was no longer a beach when I got there. just lots of rocks placed there to protect the shoreline. That was probably the single biggest disappointment to me as my vision had been idyllic beach frontage that I could soak up. never mind, that's not the resorts fault. One thing that was really fun about the resort was that they had this little pond thing around the reception with those fish that you get in the fish pedicure places! this was a bit of novelty fun that I enjoyed a lot! Careful of the terrapins though, they might 'pedicure' your feet a little too far!

As for the area itself. Well there's not much to it unfortunately. I was a bit disappointed with it and it certainly wasnt what I had envisaged as the picture of Thai beauty. It was about a 20 minute journey to Haad Rin for the full moon parties so to be honest for all the reasons I ahve described above I think next time I will stay on the west of the island, somewhere like Haad Yao which was really lovely and probably 40 minute journey to the Full Moon parties.

Hacienda staff and pool - great but not what I wanted in terms of area sadly.

Room Tip: pay a bit more and dont go for the bungalows!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here to enjoy the full moon party in August. Initially dropped off in an expensive tuk tuk, very hot and bothered with a lot of luggage after countless ferry delays.
Checked in and booked the most basic room which cost about £5 a night each, so we wern't expecting anything. The room was basic with fan, mossie net and cold shower, but I felt was adequate for us. Of course a wooden hut will have bugs, so if you are bothered by that don't stay in the basic huts, for us it did ok. The resort itself was nice, the pool was a nice touch, refreshing and the music from the bar was good chilled and not too loud to wake everyone up. It had a nice sunshine chilled vibe. The food was reasonable but got boring as there is not really anywhere else to go from here. Location wise it was easy to get to and from full moon but pre book your taxi which we did, made it easy! Otherwise not anything to do in this area.

The beach wasn't really much of a beach but a nice shore to chill out on. The free kayaks were a nice bonus and we had a paddle up and down. Nice sunset from the beach along the shore. Lovely clear water.

The only thing we felt let us down was reception staff.Despite us paying for an extra night because the minimum stay for full moon party, they were rude to us because we checked out at 4pm saying we should have been out at 10am, despite us saying we had paid for another night so can check out when we like, they didnt care and were still rude, which was a shame. Not everyone was rude though, the bar/kitchen staff were nice.

Overall enjoyed our short 2 night stay here, but would maybe pay more for a/c room but for price have no complaints. Pool and music made it good. Location could be better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Hacienda Resort since we found the comments and reviews quite positive and helpful.
The first impression on the location was very positive as well.
However here is what we experienced.
We checked in and were told that due to renovation we are offered a complimentary upgrade from our booked Bungalow.
We dropped the luggage to discover the area and returned late to the place. The bar music was at a comfortable noise level and all seemed very cozy. The next morning we discovered that the walls were covered with mold as well as the bathroom. Also the mattress was wet where it touched the wall leaving even the sheets wet. The blanket also had spots which we were unable to identify.
We informed the staff and were first told that our Bungalow shall be ready soon and we can relocate. After showing the room to one of the supervisors he agreed to the condition and assured us to look into further options once the guest relations manager would arrive.
We had to go to the reception asking for the manager since there was no reaction after one hour of waiting and we wanted to start our day.
Approaching to the reception we discovered that they were still having their breakfast and we felt uncomfortable interrupting.
By this moment we had already enough bad impressions and asked about the option to leave.
The manager offered us an additional upgrade with the impression that we do not deserve it and are acting so due to the upcoming events.
We were shown a very nice room but however due to the attitude provided to us we did not feel comfortable to stay and decided to leave the island.
Unfortunately the departure and discussion about a refund for the not used night went verbally very emotional, personal and was not representable for this place. The payment was not refunded since the money seemed to be more important then the satisfactory of their guest.
We thank Dave the supervisor for all his actions taken and sadly have to note that the guest relations manager at that day seemed dramatically rood giving us a very unprofessional bad attitude. Also talking about the bungalows being literally s**** and that you may see this on the website.
The blame for the mold in the room was given towards this "being a tropical Island in a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY". The term third world country was used completely incorrect in an inappropriate manner discriminating the Kingdom of Thailand. However our impression on Thailand is a different one.
You might have a different impression at this place but unfortunately we will not and can't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ruluna
Erika W, Front Office Manager at Beach Resort Hacienda, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

I would like to start by apologizing to you again about the room. The weather for five days before you arrived was raining. That afternoon the sun came out. I assure you we did not know of any mold problem in the room or we would not have placed you there. The room is in the process of being repaired now. It will be closed down until we rectify this problem.

We were not trying to insult the Kingdom of Thailand by our comments either. As foreign residents of this country we are here because we love this country very much. The fact is building, electric and water standards are not at the same level as most Western countries. This is one of the reasons people flock here on holiday. It keeps everything inexpensive and is a perfect holiday destination for backpackers and budget travelers. Problems occur on a regular basis due to these facts. Air-conditioners burn out quickly due to electrical peaks and drops, water levels become low over dry season, and the tropical environment is a breeding ground for things like mold. All we can do is our best to fix problems quickly and efficiently and try our best to keep customers happy.

If any of us had noticed the issues the day we checked you in it would have been rectified right away. As the case was none of us, neither you nor our staff here, recognized this problem until the next day. We can do a lot to keep customers happy but unfortunately we cannot turn back time. By the morning you were already intent on leaving. We showed you several other rooms, all of which were a tremendous upgrade from what you had paid for. Nothing was going to make you happy. I truly wish we could have done more.

No one said anything about the bungalows not being up to par. We are constantly doing renovations on our rooms to make sure everyone's experience here is everything they expect it to be We make sure every few months the rooms are freshly painted and any issues are corrected before causing customers problems. This was the case with the room you had originally booked. We tried our best to fix everything before you arrived, but the room still smelled of paint and was not suitable for guests. Normally everything would have been ready and waiting for you, but the wet weather prevented the paint from drying quick enough. Rainy season in Thailand brings with it many problems. This, however, is not your problem, which is why we gave you a free upgrade as soon as you arrived.

Let me please note you did not even move to another resort on Koh Phangan but left the island completely. All of our websites state that Full Moon week is full of parties and this area of the island is not the place to stay if you are expecting a quiet, relaxing holiday. You had mentioned to us when you checked in that quiet and relaxing was what you were looking for. You were unhappy before even seeing the room. We offered to even give you a free upgrade to another location, one which tends to be a bit quieter, but you said you were not here for the Full Moon party and would be happier leaving Koh Phangan completely.

We can do a lot here to make sure your holiday is as perfect as possible, but we cannot stop the Full Moon party. It is the reason that every other person at this resort) and every other in the area) were here. To drink, party and have a fun time. Koh Phangan is quiet and tranquil for three weeks out of the month, you just happened to come the one week it is not.

I hope the rest of your holiday runs smoothly and you have a very happy honeymoon. I apologize Koh Phangan and Hacienda were not what you were looking for.