“Tried to Stay, Glad We Couldn't ”
Review of Benjamin's Hut

Benjamin's Hut
Ranked #9 of 132 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Tried to Stay, Glad We Couldn't ”
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

To start off it must be said that we didn't actually stay on the property, despite our best efforts. We booked a double through hotels.com, and everything seemed fine until we receive an email from Benjamin's Hut explaining very poorly that they're sorry but that double isn't available anymore, and the only ones they had left were four times the price.

Fine, we thought, it's not the end of the world. Even if they don't obligate their responsibility to upgrade us after failing to remove their listing, we'll contact hotels.com, make sure we get our refund, and move somewhere else. The only problem was that they seemed to screen hotels.com's calls as they weren't able to get through to them despite multiple attempts over a period of a few hours. Because of this, we're checked out of our previous room with nowhere to stay. After 11 hours they finally pick up the phone and decide to not book us for the night.

Fortunately, hotels.com's policy allows you to book another place at the price you initially paid the first hotel.

However, if they can't manage something as simple as booking a room I have a hard time believing they're running a good establishment.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travgreenfield

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We came to Benjamins in late January 2013, and had booked for one week. We ended up staying there for 3 weeks.

Why? Why not.

The bungalow was very clean with a good madras/bed, and a little porch with tables/char and a hammock.
100 m to the left of our bungalow was the restaurant where we had some of the best food in Thailand, and to a very very fair price as well. Surely you can find it 10 or 20 bath cheaper elsewhere, but when it is so good and just right next to where you live? From the restaurant you walked straight down to the beach. The beach is west bounded in a little bay, with very low water when the tide is down, which is perfect when you are travelling with an infant as we was. When the tide was up, you had +1m water. Beyond the bay, some 200m from the restaurant, you'll find good snorkling waters. Not the best in the world, but with loads of fish, colorful corals and just right outside from where you live.

The staff at Benjamins are very friendly. One of the things I liked was, that they were young and didn't used uniforms. It made the powerdistant seems smaller. Besides, they were very serviceminded, and felt completely in love with our son Harold, who in return loved them.

In short, we cam to Thailand to enjoy the sun, the beach and water, eat some good thai food and enjoy loads of fresh fruit shakes, while staying in a bungalow with aircon. We found it all at Benjamins, and more.

If you decide to go there, be good to them and enjoy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kristian S
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

This place is quiet, perfect to escape the parties and relax. The beach isn't the best, there are better ones.
The room service is available once every two days only if you leave the keys and make sure the staff understood your request.
Don't use the laundry.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NEarleG
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just stayed there for two weeks. Had just an excellent time, would stay again and again. The A/C bungalows are new super clean everything is well done, the owners and staff are the nicest people we've met in Thailand. The food was always great, the view is spectacular. Not close to town but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I could give them a ten I would. Please do yourself a favor and stay here. The pictures dont do it justice. They are out maintaining the grounds everyday which in Thailand is a rare thing.

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows, worth every penny
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank mtnbkr5000
Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent week stay in an AC bungalow. Modern facilities, clean, picturesque setting and amazing food. Staff in this family operation were friendly and helpful. The price was very reasonable and about half of what some comparable resorts charge. Yes, we'd gladly stay again!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank g m
Omagh
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I loved my time here and wish I could have stayed for longer. I stayed in a basic hut and it suited my needs perfectly as I did not spend much time in the room. The views at Benjamin's hut are spectacular, hours went by without me realising as I lay looking out at it. It is a very peaceful spot and the perfect place to unwind.
The food is excellent there and a major selling point but not the main one, that would go to the staff and the family that run it. I injured my foot and unfortunately needed to see a doctor, the owner of the huts drove me to the best doctor on the island and stayed with me until he knew I was ok, the kindness he and his family showed me was wonderful and completely unexpected. I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KmcC_11
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stumbled upon Benjamin's hut by accident as it was the only place we could find that had vacancies around the time of the full moon party. We weren't in koh phangang for the full moon party but just wanted a quiet spot.

I cannot stress enough how perfect this place is. A little slice of paradise for only £10 a night. The rooms are spacious, have great air con and a lovely hammock just outside the door.

The food is great value for money, very traditional and delicious. We ate there every night and both the drinks and food menus were very extensive.
All the staff were incredibly welcoming and friendly, the beach is right on your doorstep and the sunsets are incredible.

Basically this place is amazing and advise everyone visiting Koh Phangang to stay there.

Also, their dog is great too (and I hate dogs)!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple