“Nice stay at Benjamin's Hut”
Review of Benjamin's Hut

Benjamin's Hut
Ranked #10 of 137 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Excellent quality price ratio, nice food and lounge ambiance. People from other accommodations are right to come to have a drink or dinner as all near hotels or bungalows are so quiet and boring.
Bungalows with no AC not only present a refreshing difference, the decoration is also much more poor than in the AC room that I would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked into Benjamin's Hut before we left for Thailand as we were aware places become full around the full moon party time.
After reading the great reviews we were really excited for our stay in Benjamin's Hut-but to be honest after our experience there we have drawn the conclusion that most of the reviews are made up by the management.
The huts that we thought we would be staying in from the pictures were a far cry from where we were shown to.
It turns out the huts that we'd seen in the pictures were no longer owned by Benjamin's Hut, but were under new management next door.
The room did not have a lock, but small padlock.
Before we even entered the room we were hit by a strong scent of what I can only describe as rotting meat.
The door and window had been left open for our arrival, obviously to air it out, so they were evidently aware of the pungent smell.
Inside the room was dirty (I used the brush I found outside to sweep the floor myself) and dark. The fan was extremely old and provided no relief to the stagnant air that filled the tiny room.
The mosquito net was discoloured and if we had stayed there I would not have chosen to use it.
We asked if we could upgrade to the air con rooms and pay the extra but they had none available. The man we dealt with (who I believe to be the manager) seemed agitated at our request and was extremely rude throughout the conversation despite our best efforts to be polite.
Unfortunately we had paid in full upon arrival and when we asked for a refund he chose to ignore us - looking away and shuffling paper.
We repeated ourselves several times despite the situation being very tense and awkward and when he finally did respond he refused to look at us and mumbled.
Admittedly they're not the most expensive rooms in the world, and our expectations were realistic, but you couldn't pay me to stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank emroro
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed nine nights and loved every moment of it. The accommodations were simple yet stylish; we loved having a balcony with table, chairs and hammock. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Having a restaurant there was helpful; we ate there about half of the time; other times we walked 10-20 minutes to other places nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yvette H
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice in two years and had the most excellent time. Accommodation is simple, clean and the hosts and staff are great.
Food is lovely. Breakfast excellent and really good coffee which is so important to me!
Try the Ben's breakfast. Yum!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank jwdBrighton
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We have stayed here around one week in mid-2013.
- the location is quite ok, they are several bungalows facing each other in a small alley which leads to a nice beach.
- the room are clean and enjoyable.
- like in most ressort here, the restaurant is too expensive so I suggest to eat in the small villages around.

The main drawback comes from the staff and from the boss in particular. He does not seem to care about his customers and is not helpfull at all. The main reason being that his ressort is always fully booked.

To conclude as all the guesthouses around provides the same services for the same price, I suggest you to spend tour money somewhere else where the welcome is warmer.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Clafoutiis
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location for a quiet and relaxing holiday! The bungalows are beautiful and the beds very comfortable. The cleanest bungalows I seen throughout my 3 weeks in Thailand! Staff are very friendly and the food in the restaurant was fantastic! Price varies so do haggle as we paid 1000 baht per night for an air conditioned bungalow were as if you can cope with just a fan it's around 500 baht per night. Also the closer you are to the beach the more expensive the bungalow.

The area itself is extremely quiet with a few bars and restaurants around. One bar I would recommend is the pirate bar just a short walk down the beach.

Benjamin's Hut was by far the best accommodation we stayed in at a very reasonable price. Would have gone back there if we had the time!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Lorraine B
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I have been doing Thailand on a shoestring, with net on my tablet and a lonely planet on my back. The book led me to believe that in Ko Phangan you could find a private single room for a minimum of 300bht. I found this one for 250bht, in a very good zone (8km north the place where the ferry arrives), bungalows at 10 meters from the water, simple and small, for several prices. The 250bht one has everything I need and even more: king size bed to share it with someone and halve the price per head, washroom with warm water, fan and mosquito net on top of the bed.

The majority of the prices for the entire Island (and not just this one) start at 300 for accomodation, so it was nice to find this price. To get here, either you rent a bike anywhere or get a taxi for 100bht. The bungalows have internet (i didnt use as i have 3G, but i saw the routers) and a restaurant attached to the bungalows, where u can have meals for as cheap as 70bht.

• Stayed: July 2013