“Nice stay”

Thong Yang Bungalows
Ranked #42 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
“Nice stay”
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Got to start by saying some of the reviews below seem very dramatic. I didn't even consider suicide and if a fan isn't sufficient you really should consider a/c.

Thong yang is reasonably priced and although not perfect isn't bad. Me and my partner stayed here for 5 nights over the full moon party. We found it really peaceful and a great escape from the noise of the more busy parts. The room was sufficient and paying the extra for a/c is definitely worth it. There was also a fridge in the room which is handy.

The food was good and again reasonably priced but the service was terribly slow at times. There was a nice lounging area to the side of the restaurant with some nice cushions could probably do with a couple more though as only enough for two to sit comfortably.

We had one of the bungalows on the front. They are small but the bathrooms are fine, I would prefer a flushing toilet but it wasn't a major issue. The showers maintained a good temperature for as long as needed. I did find the porch area slightly cramped however as there was a bench on there but facing sideways rather than towards the sea due to lack of space which is a bit of a shame as can be nice to chill outside your room in the evening from time to time. There was one larger bungalow that allowed this so if you like to watch the sea in the evening it may be worth enquiring to see if you could obtain this room.

The dogs are on the most part fine, one in particular is pretty smelly and tatty but when the owners do see them near the eating area they do try to shoo them off. However a bit more vigilance with poo clearing wouldn't go a miss.

All in all this place is a nice stay very peaceful and friendly staff and a nice crowd. You feel like your belongings are safe also. So not perfect but not bad either.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank benb1987

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sliema, Malta
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our visit to Phangan was part of a longer holiday so that we went to the full moon party. After reading reviews we decided to stay in a hotel that was slightly far from the beach but not across the island. Thong Yang seemed perfect and cheap. Indeed the room was a sea front one and the small beach was just perfect.

As the price may suggest the room was basic but the entrance had no handrail so that if you are planning to enter the place drunk you may end up on the rocks below since there is not even a glimpse of light on the outside of the bungalow.

At the restaurant the staff remove their shoes but since there were 5 dogs around we did not bother as the floor was dirty. Moreover when eating at the restaurant 3 of the dogs would be playing around - no problem right? Wrong, they smelled so bad and weren't on a leash. The food was well priced however 2 of us who ate a coconut milk soup ended up with diaorrea and vomiting the day after so we resorted to eating toast after that.

For our last day we also booked through the hotel a trip to go to Krabi. We should have arrived in Krabi at 15:00 however we only arrived at 20:30. It seemed that other people from other hotels were promised the same. To add insult instead of the tranportation taking us directly to the bus station, we were taken to a shack to eat from a presumably friend of a friend with a loo shaped like a hole in the ground (cooking was done next to this place).

If there is a large banner above the restaurant promoting trips, then they would still not have done anything about it.

Room Tip: If you want a good room don't come here, go to Haad Rind Bay for the full moon party and don'...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here for the Full Moon Party in November. After talking with friends and reading the reviews, I thought it might be a good idea to get a place further away from the action. We booked Thong Yang well in advance and were excited about our stay based on the photos. Once we actually got there, we ended up leaving a day early to stay at another place (for free, since our friends' friends left early). Here's why.

The photos are quite alluring and indeed the bungalows are right on the beach. There are hammocks on the trees and it's quite relaxing. What's easy to forget is that the entire island of Koh Phangang is NOT that big and almost all of the resorts are on the beach! So given that, I think there must be better options, even given the price.

The main deal killer was the bathroom. It was one room with no separating doors of any kind for the toilet or the shower. One of the walls was the rock of the mountain that was originally there. Because of this, the bathroom got pretty damp. At night when I turned on the light, I saw ants and a cockroach. That was fun. Oh and did I mention the toilet does not flush? It's one of those with a bucket and a scoop next to it. The nail in the coffin was that when it rained, the roof leaked, the water came down the rocks in the bathroom, and left a muddy residue on the floor. I had to ask the hotel to clean that up for us.

The second big factor was the owners' dogs. They had 4 dogs who would roam the grounds all day. They woke us up because they were playing on the roof in the morning. Then when you go to eat lunch they are running around the restaurant patio area the whole time. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind dogs, but these are smelly scrappy dogs that would wrestle and play with each other while I'm trying to enjoy a peaceful lunch. The owners paid them no mind of course.

Lastly, it got really hot inside the room. We didn't get the AC room in November, which may have been a mistake on my end, but the fans did not do enough to keep the room cool. Luckily there were some hammocks outside to chill and relax on, but of course the dogs wouldn't let me sleep.

You might be thinking - "Hey, the price is so cheap, what do you expect?" That is a fair point except when we left a night early, we moved to a friend's hotel which was only slightly more expensive and had A/C, a flushing toilet, and a much nicer shower. And no cockroaches. And it was still by the beach, although granted the room did not face the beach directly.

At the end of the day, Koh Phangang is littered with resorts. There are so damn many. The restaurants basically all have the same food and prices (with the exception of the fancy resorts and the street vendors), and the beaches are all beautiful in their own way. So if you're going to full moon, I recommend staying at Haad Rin Nai which is on the opposite side of the full moon party. It's still walking or very short driving distance to the party, but without the loudness and all night raging. If you want a beautiful beach, Baan Tai is great but there are many other beaches on the island all of which have bungalows and taxis to Full Moon and elsewhere around the island for no more than 200bht per person.

For that reason, I think that there are better options than Thong Yang, and I recommend staying somewhere else unless they improve their facilities.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

This place...where do I begin?!
Upon arrival you are greeted by tree roots representing a stairway to the beach. Charming? Yes. Risk of tripping and falling to your death? Likely. But not to worry! There's a pack of barking dogs to land on. Nothing more comforting for a sprained ankle than a bit of mange.

The staff seemed "laissez faire" about our arrival, or our presence during our stay. They seemed keen to rake the sand first thing in the morning, occasionally disturbing a maturing dog turd. A faecal zen garden! How lovely.

Now, to the room. Ever wondered what Tenko would have been like if Dame Barbara Cartland wrote it? Well, wonder no more! If you plan to take acid at the Full Moon Party, please don't look at the holographic pictures of parrots and tulips. I am planning therapy and haven't even had a drink. If you do glance at them, please rest on the bed of breeze blocks covered in sateen in a delightful shade of Austin Allegro brown. You may find our sweat stains when you stay, as changing sheets seems unnecessary to the staff. Feel free to use the carrier bag found down the side of the bed to suffocate yourselves. The previous guests escaped prior the urgency for suicide.

The bathroom has a rustic charm about it. The ants which hide under the seat and nibble on your cheeks are an invigorating way to wake up. Once suitably bitten, rinse off in the shower, which expels yellow water. If I wanted a golden shower, I'd have gone to a "specialist club" on the mainland...

All in all, dreadful. People moan about the posh resorts but they should come here for one night and then reassess things.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed at the bunglows for 4 nights. Whilst it is not the plushest accommodation we stayed in during our Thai adventure, we found it excellent value overall.

The owners are help and the cook serves up fantastic thai food for excellent rates. You do have to wait some time but its worth waiting for.

The bungalows are basic although the beach front aspect is great.

Over all if you want good value with freindly personable service, thong yang bunglowd are for you.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Yorkshire38
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor I ended up at Thong Yang in mid-july 2013. I can write all kinds of great things about my stay here, but I guess the most telling would be that I ended up staying for 13 nights and truly found the peace of mind I was looking for. In 14 days I only left the premises four times to go scooting around the island. The rest of my time was spent on my beach front porch, in a hammock reading all the books I hadnt gotten to earlier in my trip, or hanging out in the restaurant either working on my computer or socializing with other guests and/or A and his lovely family who runs the place.

The accommodation is pretty basic, but more than comfortable enough, especially if you get the ones on the beach. The food is absolutely brilliant, the vibe is super chill and friendly, and A really goes the extra mile to make your stay top notch. When I had to leave to get my visa renewed, I had to get up at 4 AM to make the first ferry to the mainland. A booked everything for me and made sure I got picked up by taxi at 4:30. When I left my hut and went outside, he had gotten up to make sure hadn't overslept, and he waited with me until the taxi showed up and he knew I was on my way. That is some real service. I traveled Thailand for 9 weeks, and accommodation wise this was the best place I stayed, hands down. Hugs all around when I left, genuine sweet people who took great care of me and everyone else staying there at the time. Big part of my fondest memories from this trip.

Room Tip: The large bungalow right next to the restaurant facing the beach (no. 14?) is big, has a great view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Helge V
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in thong yang bongalow and it was a pure nightmare. The room we got was dirty,full with ants and other insects.the room itself was very basic,old and unwelcoming.there was no way to flesh the water in the toilet so we needed to use a bucket of water to flesh them like in the Medieval times.the shower had no cover and so it made the hole bathroom wet.our room had not been cleaned even once- when we discussed it with Mr.A he told us that it was not in their policy.more than that,there were about 5/6 dogs Wondering over the place and barking with horrore every night when we came back to our room.when we booked the place we asked especially to have a sea view ,however,as you can see in our picture we only got the view of some dirty ruins.the only good thing about this place was the pretty beach but it was full with rocks and we could not really enjoy it. We visited many hotels and guesthouses in Thailand and this one was absolutely the worst of them all.the price for our room was 1500 THB(50$).it did include AC and hot shower but still it is an outrageous price for what we got!! We really recommend you to avoid this place! You can find plenty of other places much nicer and value for your money.

• Stayed September 2013