“Horrific”

Thong Yang Bungalows
Ranked #43 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

This place...where do I begin?!
Upon arrival you are greeted by tree roots representing a stairway to the beach. Charming? Yes. Risk of tripping and falling to your death? Likely. But not to worry! There's a pack of barking dogs to land on. Nothing more comforting for a sprained ankle than a bit of mange.

The staff seemed "laissez faire" about our arrival, or our presence during our stay. They seemed keen to rake the sand first thing in the morning, occasionally disturbing a maturing dog turd. A faecal zen garden! How lovely.

Now, to the room. Ever wondered what Tenko would have been like if Dame Barbara Cartland wrote it? Well, wonder no more! If you plan to take acid at the Full Moon Party, please don't look at the holographic pictures of parrots and tulips. I am planning therapy and haven't even had a drink. If you do glance at them, please rest on the bed of breeze blocks covered in sateen in a delightful shade of Austin Allegro brown. You may find our sweat stains when you stay, as changing sheets seems unnecessary to the staff. Feel free to use the carrier bag found down the side of the bed to suffocate yourselves. The previous guests escaped prior the urgency for suicide.

The bathroom has a rustic charm about it. The ants which hide under the seat and nibble on your cheeks are an invigorating way to wake up. Once suitably bitten, rinse off in the shower, which expels yellow water. If I wanted a golden shower, I'd have gone to a "specialist club" on the mainland...

All in all, dreadful. People moan about the posh resorts but they should come here for one night and then reassess things.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed at the bunglows for 4 nights. Whilst it is not the plushest accommodation we stayed in during our Thai adventure, we found it excellent value overall.

The owners are help and the cook serves up fantastic thai food for excellent rates. You do have to wait some time but its worth waiting for.

The bungalows are basic although the beach front aspect is great.

Over all if you want good value with freindly personable service, thong yang bunglowd are for you.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Yorkshire38
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor I ended up at Thong Yang in mid-july 2013. I can write all kinds of great things about my stay here, but I guess the most telling would be that I ended up staying for 13 nights and truly found the peace of mind I was looking for. In 14 days I only left the premises four times to go scooting around the island. The rest of my time was spent on my beach front porch, in a hammock reading all the books I hadnt gotten to earlier in my trip, or hanging out in the restaurant either working on my computer or socializing with other guests and/or A and his lovely family who runs the place.

The accommodation is pretty basic, but more than comfortable enough, especially if you get the ones on the beach. The food is absolutely brilliant, the vibe is super chill and friendly, and A really goes the extra mile to make your stay top notch. When I had to leave to get my visa renewed, I had to get up at 4 AM to make the first ferry to the mainland. A booked everything for me and made sure I got picked up by taxi at 4:30. When I left my hut and went outside, he had gotten up to make sure hadn't overslept, and he waited with me until the taxi showed up and he knew I was on my way. That is some real service. I traveled Thailand for 9 weeks, and accommodation wise this was the best place I stayed, hands down. Hugs all around when I left, genuine sweet people who took great care of me and everyone else staying there at the time. Big part of my fondest memories from this trip.

Room Tip: The large bungalow right next to the restaurant facing the beach (no. 14?) is big, has a great view...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Helge V
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in thong yang bongalow and it was a pure nightmare. The room we got was dirty,full with ants and other insects.the room itself was very basic,old and unwelcoming.there was no way to flesh the water in the toilet so we needed to use a bucket of water to flesh them like in the Medieval times.the shower had no cover and so it made the hole bathroom wet.our room had not been cleaned even once- when we discussed it with Mr.A he told us that it was not in their policy.more than that,there were about 5/6 dogs Wondering over the place and barking with horrore every night when we came back to our room.when we booked the place we asked especially to have a sea view ,however,as you can see in our picture we only got the view of some dirty ruins.the only good thing about this place was the pretty beach but it was full with rocks and we could not really enjoy it. We visited many hotels and guesthouses in Thailand and this one was absolutely the worst of them all.the price for our room was 1500 THB(50$).it did include AC and hot shower but still it is an outrageous price for what we got!! We really recommend you to avoid this place! You can find plenty of other places much nicer and value for your money.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent location, staff and food. The pad thai is one of the best I have had in Thailand and they do a good cooked breakfast.

Nice and quiet and the rooms had massive comfy beds.

Really helpful manager and they seemed to know everything about the island.

The only bad thing was the sausages at breakfast (although they would probably appeal to Americans) and I'm sure you could live with that!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Henry S
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I will admit, before arriving I had quite low expectations of Thong Yang bungalows, however when the lovely Mr A (owner) showed us to our bungalow it exceeded all expectations I had. We stayed in bungalow number 14 which had an amazing view from the balcony and of an evening when the tide came in you had a great sound of the sea. It was a basic bungalow but well maintained. We ate all our meals in the restaurant which was very well priced. We were very sad to leave and would most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank casprin
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Spent just over a week here. The family are lovely, with big smiles, cute kids and currently two puppies.

We enjoyed our bungalow although prepare for the usual cheap bungalow fixtures - hard bed, fixed fan and dim lighting haha!

Spent several relaxing days reading in a hammock and chilling out. One negative is the beach which isn't great for swimming - shallow and quite rocky. Bring some swimming shoes. It's easy to get a songtheaw or motorbike to a nicer beach for the day.

As others have said the food is excellent, esp the green, red and massaman curries, and the coconut smoothies.

100% recommended.