“Be careful!! Worst staying in Thailand”

Thong Yang Bungalows
Ranked #43 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in thong yang bongalow and it was a pure nightmare. The room we got was dirty,full with ants and other insects.the room itself was very basic,old and unwelcoming.there was no way to flesh the water in the toilet so we needed to use a bucket of water to flesh them like in the Medieval times.the shower had no cover and so it made the hole bathroom wet.our room had not been cleaned even once- when we discussed it with Mr.A he told us that it was not in their policy.more than that,there were about 5/6 dogs Wondering over the place and barking with horrore every night when we came back to our room.when we booked the place we asked especially to have a sea view ,however,as you can see in our picture we only got the view of some dirty ruins.the only good thing about this place was the pretty beach but it was full with rocks and we could not really enjoy it. We visited many hotels and guesthouses in Thailand and this one was absolutely the worst of them all.the price for our room was 1500 THB(50$).it did include AC and hot shower but still it is an outrageous price for what we got!! We really recommend you to avoid this place! You can find plenty of other places much nicer and value for your money.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent location, staff and food. The pad thai is one of the best I have had in Thailand and they do a good cooked breakfast.

Nice and quiet and the rooms had massive comfy beds.

Really helpful manager and they seemed to know everything about the island.

The only bad thing was the sausages at breakfast (although they would probably appeal to Americans) and I'm sure you could live with that!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Henry S
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I will admit, before arriving I had quite low expectations of Thong Yang bungalows, however when the lovely Mr A (owner) showed us to our bungalow it exceeded all expectations I had. We stayed in bungalow number 14 which had an amazing view from the balcony and of an evening when the tide came in you had a great sound of the sea. It was a basic bungalow but well maintained. We ate all our meals in the restaurant which was very well priced. We were very sad to leave and would most certainly stay here again.

2  Thank casprin
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Spent just over a week here. The family are lovely, with big smiles, cute kids and currently two puppies.

We enjoyed our bungalow although prepare for the usual cheap bungalow fixtures - hard bed, fixed fan and dim lighting haha!

Spent several relaxing days reading in a hammock and chilling out. One negative is the beach which isn't great for swimming - shallow and quite rocky. Bring some swimming shoes. It's easy to get a songtheaw or motorbike to a nicer beach for the day.

As others have said the food is excellent, esp the green, red and massaman curries, and the coconut smoothies.

100% recommended.

1  Thank annarpo
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Let me begin with perhaps a little side note to this review in terms of the accommodation. After reading such outstanding reviews of this place on trip advisor my expectations on arrival were very high. Initial disappointment occurred upon the realisation that the standard of our beach hut was very basic. It was however only my expectations that disappointed me as very soon I was completely captivated by the magic of the place.

Our hut was on the private beach with views across to koh samui. The beach was perfect. We watched the most incredible sunset from it one night. Every second the colour the sky changed colour and as I sat there with my Chang I don't think I had ever felt that happy.

The resort was so chilled. Perfect location to grab a taxi on the main road above the bungalows to haad rin or thong sala. There was a great restaurant above the bungalows with amazing views and a nice beach bar with great cocktails next door. Hammocks provide a a comfortable means to endure the full moon hangover and the smiles of the family who run the place will keep you smiling.

My review cannot do this place justice. When I go back to Thailand, and I will go back, I will spend a week here. It's places like this that prove koh phangnan can be more than just a full moon stopover but a piece of paradise.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnieMac87
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My Fiancé and I originally booked into thong Yang for 2 nights after reading great reviews from fellow trippers. 9 nights later we finally mustered up the courage to check out. Yes it was that good a place. There is nothing that we could fault about this beautiful place. Mr A greeted us with a big genuine smile and it took off from there. Mr A's wife B, their beautiful daughter and their extended family made it a truly memorable stay. The food was amazing and very reasonably priced. The private beach was spotless and was brushed down every morning to keep it that way. Mr A organised connecting tickets for our onwards journey and was extremely helpful with his knowledge of the island. He also arranged moped hire for us with his brother which was really useful and in no way dubious! We have spent 5 weeks in thailand and no other place we stayed (some were nearly three times the price of bungalows in Thong Yang) even came close to this little slice of heaven.
Would we recommend this place? You bet we would. If you want somewhere nice and quiet to relax and enjoy lazy days sunbathing or having romantic walks along the pristine beach whilst only being 5 minutes away from party central (Had Rin), this is definitely the place for you. We already can't wait to get back here and visit our new friends. Probably the nicest place we have ever stayed in all of our travels around the world!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Paulieh
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Thong Yang bungalows is easy to find but hard to reach, because you have to walk down some stairs before you get there. But once you arrive it has all been worth it. The view is wonderfull, the family that runs the place is very kind, the food they serve in the restaurant is cheap and delicious, the rooms have hot water and aircon if neccesary.

2  Thank Suzannevanvuure