I stayed here with my family (couple + 4 kids) in August. We took two side-by-side Deluxe rooms with outdoor shower (we chose this over a jacuzzi). Our stay wasn't bad, but we had several disappointments.
- The beach is excellent for exploring (the kids and I found lots of shells and crabs), but (at least while we stayed there) swimming is virtually impossible: the water is no more than knee-high even in high tide, for a distance of at least 200m from the shore.
- The pool bar wasn't active - it was just an empty concrete structure near the pool. The pool itself, on the other hand, is an excellent one, with an area for children as well as a long deep stretch and several nooks with jacuzzi.
- Location: far away from anywhere else (Haad Rin to the east or Baan Tai to the west), the hotel car costs 100 Baht/person each way. A free ride once a day to Haad Rin would've been a great perk, but since there wasn't one, we just went outside and stopped a songthaew each time (for 200-250 baht for the entire family of 6). Nowhere nearby to do laundry, say, or purchase groceries and basic stuff.
- The outdoor shower, which I was really looking forward to, turns out to be (at least in the Deluxe rooms) under the roof of the upper-story rooms, so instead of showering under the open sky, you are standing between four walls and under a roof of concrete, with a small backyard garden for scenery. Not really what I expected.
- On the positive side: reception staff assisted us in finding and ordering tickets for a ferry back to Koh Samui on our departure date, including a (non-free, again) ride to the pier.
- Breakfast is good, and the view from the breakfast terrace is quite beautiful.
- Another plus: we registered for two side-by-side rooms. When we saw one of them had a connecting door to another room, we asked whether we could have the other, connected room instead. We were told that room is in repairs and cannot be used, so left it at that. However, the next day the hotel staff told us they finished the repairs and we could move to the connected room if we wanted to. We were glad for this offer and accepted it...
- However, it turned out not all repairs were finished. The bath faucet in the new room was not working (there were still the two showers though), and the air conditioning - vital in Koh Phangan in August! - was faulty. They eventually fixed the A/C, but not the faucet.
- Which brings me to my biggest complaint - being told things are fixed when they are not. As with the "repairs finished" new room, which wasn't actually fully repaired. Or the non-functioning faucet, which I was told was repaired (after I complained), and then I checked again and the problem was still there. Or, most annoying, the free Wi-Fi (standard in nearly all Thai hotels) which was not working (in our rooms) for our entire stay. We complained several times, and were told each time that they are fixing it, or that they have fixed it (then went back to the room and found out it was still not working), or that they see no problem... this is a terrible way of addressing complaints. Better to admit that it'll take time to fix, or can't be fixed, or whatever, than saying "it's ok now" and letting the customer find out that no, it's not ok. We did manage to use the Wi-Fi from rooms further away, but to do that we had to sit just at the right location, and settle for a very weak signal... no fun, really.
All things considered, this place has the potential to be excellent, but personally I would not pick it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chantaramas Resort is located on Koh Pha-Ngan, in the Gulf of Thailand. The resort have swimming pool on the private beach wider than 100 meters on “Baan Kai” Beach that is within easy reach from Thong Sala Pier, the main pier of the Island, just for 10 minutes and is shorten from Haad Rin Pier only 7 minutes. Getting to Koh Pha-Ngan is very convenient as it takes just 20 minutes by speed boat from Koh Samui. The resort offers transfers service at a charge . Chantaramas Resort & Spa is delicately designed in modern contemporary style according to the local knowledge to add to the Island one of the most beautiful boutique resorts where guests could fully enjoy the local uniqueness of the decoration and total privacy and comfort of individual quarter in a lush setting of natural ambient of flowers and tree, the natural surrounding have been reserved for more than half of the area occupied by the resort to give the guest the feeling of total natural living and the place to get away and enjoy peaceful nature. Chantaramas Resort & Spa resort is also carefully designed to be friendly to wheelchair persons as there will be worry-free for those to enjoy all the resort facilities as other guests. Contact our Reservations for special deals or special preferences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chantaramas Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.