“A one of a kind experience, second to none.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reefers Diving

Reefers Diving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to our Padi 5 Star Dive Resort located on Haad Yao beach Koh Phangan. Our center has everything you need to ensure a memorable diving experience. We offer all Padi courses, snorkel and dive trips to the best sites in The Gulf and we offer great deals on accommodation with dive packages! Recommended by Lonely Planet as world class diving! Not only will you have an amazing experience with our highly skilled staff, but you will also leave as a friend for life. Our reviews speak for themselves!! :)
Hawalli, Kuwait
“A one of a kind experience, second to none.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I spent three days with Vic and the Reefers crew while getting our open water divers certification. After visiting all the shops on the island and comparing what they could offer us nothing came close to Reefers. Vic could not of been more welcoming and knowledgeable throughout our course. We were lucky enough to his well educated instruction as well as a Master Diver in Trainer Linnea. Vic and Linnea put our nerves at ease and thoroughly taught the skills and we have walked away with a thorough understanding of the basic diving skills. We are so happy we spent our time with Reefers and highly recommend it to all ages. Thanks again Vic, we're looking forward to our next dive!

• Polish first
Surat Thani, Thailand
“A different point of view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I came on here to write my,(1st ever),review of our trip with Reefers, good and bad, but having just read another review of the same trip I felt that someone should at least put a different point of view of what happened that day.
We (my g/f and I) had signed up 2 days previously for what Reefers said was their last trip of 2013, to Koh Tao and Sail Rock. Sadly, on arriving at the dive shop that morning, we were informed by Vic, the owner/manager that conditions to the north between Koh Phangan and Koh Tao had deteriorated enough for them to feel it wasn't safe to make the trip. They suggested an alternative trip to Anthong Marine Park, based on other local dive schools experiences there of conditions over the previous few days. To say we were disappointed is an understatement, but to be fair Vic got us all together at the shop, explained the safety worries he had, and even offered to discount our trip if we decided to go. Anyone who wanted to cancel was offered a full refund, and my g/f and I got something like 1200 baht back, despite the fact that the 2 different trips are usually the same price, (3500 baht)
So, we decided to go ahead.
Unfortunately, the bad weather from the north caught up with us about an hour into the trip, and it did get a bit rough, more than a couple of us getting a bit sick, despite the dive school offering us all sea-sick tablets before we got on the boat!
When we got to the marine park, it was obvious the dive conditions weren't going to be great, but I felt the whole Reefers team made a real effort to keep everyones spirits up and make the best of a bad situation. Sure enough, dive 1 was really poor, almost zero visibility and choppy on the surface, but the instructors and divemasters did their best, keeping the groups together and working really hard to keep everyone feeling safe.
Between dives 1 and 2, lunch was served, and again the whole dive team did all they could to keep us all happy, laughing and joking with (most of) us, and sympathising about how bad the weather had turned out.
Dive 2 was the same, poor viz and a struggle to stay together as a group, but our guides got us all back safe to the boat.
Overall, a very disappointing day in terms of the diving, but I think Reefers deserve a lot of credit for the hard work and cheerfulness they showed under very difficult conditions, both with the weather and not least with the attitude of 1 or 2 of our fellow customers, which is why I've given them 5 stars. It's a bit harsh to criticize a dive shop for conditions, the 1 thing no-one can control,
and as divers we all want perfect conditions all the time, but that just ain't realistic. The stuff they could control, the boat, the staffs attitude, the equipment and the food supplied was all excellent, and I wont hesitate to dive with them again next time i'm on Phangan, and hopefully the weather will be better!

Visited December 2013
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good dive shop and good accomodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed three nights at reefers and did a one day/2 dives boat excursion.
I arrived at night and was greeted with cold beer and a showing of the gremlings, I didn't need much more to love the place and the staff. The bungalow was good for the price, clean, mosquito net, cold shower and asian style toilet.
The diving trip was good, reefers have their own boat and it's very comfortable (aspecially the upper deck), food (breakfast and lunch) was good and it sufficient quantities. We dove twice at the sail rock. I had heard good things about this place but I had also heard that I wasn't going at the right time. And indeed the site has lots of fish and tons of things to see but the visibility when I went was not very good (~5m), still we managed to see lots of fish (but didn't get to see the infamous whale sharks that sometime roam these waters). Emilie, my dive master, was very professionnal and took good care of me.

All in all it was a very good experience. I highly recommend this place : it's like a youth hostel but with diving added to it, which to me was awesome.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Murky disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

Myself and five friends (three divers, three snorkellers) booked to join the new years eve dive trip in the late afternoon on December 30th. We were told we would be heading to Sail Rock and Koh Tao. The next morning, just 13 hours later we were told conditions weren't so good at Sail Rock so we would head to a local Marine Park instead where there had been "some really nice diving the last few days" and we would be able to dive in "a bay". Taking this on good faith, we happily agreed to the change of site. When we thought about it afterwards we weren't sure conditions could change so much in such a short time, but at the time we were happy enough.

On the journey to the site, for the second hour the sea was very rough, and we all had to stand on one side of the boat to help "balance it". The Thai captain seemed angry and was shouting. Several people were very seasick. By the time we arrived at the site the local fishing boats had all rafted together for stability and anchored as the open water was so rough- I guess this suggests maybe this was, relatively speaking, the calmest place around in these ridiculous conditions, but it certainly wasn't suitable for diving or for snorkelling.

On our first dive, visibility was 2m, 3 if you were being incredibly generous. Needless to say, we saw nothing. Our dive master (Fabio- a good guy and well done to him for making the best of it and doing a great job helping our friend who was diving after several years hiatus in these stressful conditions) said it was his worst ever dive in over 6000 dives. We couldn't see anything at all and several times had to resurface because we had lost sight of each other.

We were initially told our second dive would be elsewhere in the marine park, but after lunch they said conditions were too bad. We were told that our only option was to dive the same terrible site again, but that we had to pay for both dives regardless. Considering that they had failed to provide us with two dives we found this completely unreasonable, but since they were adamant we begrudgingly plopped back in for 45 minutes more of murky disappointment.

Obviously I understand that dive shops cannot guarantee favourable conditions but if they only manage to provide one dive, customers should pay for one dive. As it turned out, our party doubled the number of customers on that trip, so I can't help but feel they were just happy to take our money regardless.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank Michelle W
“Excellent Dive Center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I were very pleased with Reefers Diving. Well organized, friendly, helpful, informative, good safety standards and good equipment. The day trip with 2 dives at Sail Rock was great, amazing dive site first of all and also seeing a whale shark was incredible! The only thing was that my wife ended up suffering from extreme motion sickness on the rougher waters. We were very appriciative for our dive guide Emilie's efforts to help with the situation. She worked very hard to try and make things as easy as possible considering my wifes condition. After diving with other centers in different regions around Thailand in the weeks leading up to this one, definiently found this place the best for quality and care.