“Not so Nice”

Ranked #2 of 133 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Not so Nice”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

After reading reviews on trip advisor we decided to book for our 2 week holiday here .
The reviews promised so much , however the property delivered so little .
First impressions of the property are not good as you approach over a bridge to be confronted by what appears to be a dilapidated workshop, make your way carefully around the wired dog compound past the outdoor shrine situated in front of the rubbish dump , and you find a row of neat bungalows.
The bungalow we had booked promised to be right on the beach and the plan confirmed as much, what the plan omitted to mention was the massage hut right next door ,
The bungalow was clean but cramped with very little storage , and 3 coathangers for 2 people why bother?
The beds were extremely hard and the pillows made of a material so unforgiving as to make a decent nights sleep impossible. The quilt type affair provided to sleep under was of the type your grandmother may have had on top of her bed , it was unhygenic and a single white sheet would have been preferred.
After 27hrs of travel however we would have cheerfully slept on a razor blade .
The following morning we awoke to a marvellous view, the beach is indeed pristine. We looked forward to our inclusive breakfast but were sadly disappointed. The setting of bamboo chairs nestled under the shade of trees was promising, the inclusion of cushions on these chairs may have made the experience more comfortable. The choice if one can call it that is eggs eggs eggs or fruit yoghurt and porridge. The mainly Burmese staff have little english and the cook even less idea how to cook an egg whichever way you request it you will receive it underdone or raw. Attempt to wash this down with the coffee and you will discover a taste so acrid strong and foul as to make you immediately give up caffeine forever .
After 4 days of non descript breakfasts and foul coffee I ventured to return my undercooked eggs merely stating that i could not eat them .this was a mistake of the first order as shortly afterwards I was approached by Mr Nice s not so nice mother whose customer service skills can only go someway to explaining the staffs lack of them , she proceeded to berate me for not asking the staff (who couldnt understand me anyway ) to cook my eggs properly and why i hadnt said anything earlier and when she was around everything was perfect but she couldnt always be around , for which im sure we are mercifully grateful .
So taken back by her attitude and demeanour I apologised for having the temerity to complain for fear of being ejected from her property .
The rest of the holiday we went out for breakfast . I suggest you do likewise.
A previous reviewer has said the owners wife is a tremendous cook , the owner is Mr Nice , he deserves this sobriquet, an extremely pleasant man , his mother who runs the kitchen not so , the food disgusting.
The rooms are cleaned only every 2 days , and then only if you drop your keys into the box at reception, the beach loungers are plastic, uncomfortable , no cushions provided, there is no drinks service on the beach despite a fully stocked but padlocked drinks fridge nearby .
In truth this "resort" does not offer the service one would expect from a resort, its merely a collection of bungalows run by a squabbling family with pretensions of being a resort, do not be fooled .
The price we paid was 3180 baht per night about £60 others turning up on spec were offered same accommodation for 1500 baht per night . We feel we were ripped off for booking in advance , there are clearly better establishments at this price on the island that will provide the RESORT experience .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank alanlittlehales

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This resort is about 30 minutes from the famous Full Moon parties on a quiet beach on the west side of the island. This island requires nothing more than a scooter rental to go anywhere. The island is only about an hour to go around it. The owner's wife is a tremendous cook so eat there whenever you'd like. The bungalows with air conditioning are more comfortable, I found. There is a dive shop and a great young instructor, Storm-Lee, there to help you with your ticket/s. Beautiful sunsets everynight...also from the Amsterdam Cafe just down the road a piece. Mr. Nice and his Mother and Father made our visit simply wonderfully relaxing,,,Thank You

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Not a huge place, but not a million people here either. Good little hole it the wall spot, if that's what your after. Nice beach, super chill atmosphere and fairly close to amenities.

The best part of my experience there had to be the owner Mr. Nice (no idea of his real name). He was that and more. On top of completely accommodating what I needed, he also came to my rescue when he could tell that I needed help. To make a long story short, I tipped my near-new scooter over and damaged it (beware of getting extremely ripped off over that; rent a scooter that's already dinged up a bit and make sure you take a good look around the bike with the owner for damage).

Anyway, the owner wanted more money (between $300-400 CND to fix minor damage) than I could get from my bank in one day, he had my passport and I had to leave in the morning. I ended up speaking to Mr. Nice about this and what I should do about it. Without a word, he stood up, opened his wallet and pulled out 3000BHT. He simply said "I know that you will pay me this back when you can". It was enough to get my passport back and leave for home. I paid him back before I left.

When was the last time you had service like that from a hotel or resort owner? Needless to say, that will be where I'm staying the next time I'm in that part of the world. :)

Thank you again Mr. Nice!

Room Tip: Probably want AC.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Scott B
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a bungalow with A/C just a few steps from the water's edge. Location was perfect, right on a beautiful white sandy beach and a short walk to various restaurants and amenities.

Accommodation is basic and facilities are at a minimum (as you can imagine from the price), but the place has a wonderful peaceful quality about it and was just what we needed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We booked for Nice Sea Resort from 13th-20th January 2014 and because we enjoyed it so much we cancelled our trip to Koh Samui to go back to Nice Sea from 1st-5th February 2014. We had been to koh Phangan on two other occasions and stayed at different places each time but, in our view, Nice Sea is the very best on the island for accommodation and value for money.
On arriving at Nice Sea we had to walk over a small wooden bridge and once over that the view was magical....the wooden and concrete bungalows on stilts on either side of the white sand which led to the most wonderful beach.
A family run resort by Nice (who is a most lovely and amiable person) and his mother Nit, (who does all the excellent cooking), service, facilities and such warm friendliness were what our welcome was all about.
We had a basic bamboo bungalow, ideal for our needs and such good value. Inside was a double and single bed on a shelf which was a little high for me but I did manage it....call it part of the experience. The fan was sufficient and I loved the hammocks on the patio...yes 2 of them.
The other accommodation was made up of air-con concrete bungalows, deluxe and grand deluxe.
The resort supplied water, sunbeds, beach towels, alternate day cleaning and excellent service from the staff.
Set in a good location there are other bars and restaurants within walking distance. You must try Srithanu Kitchen as well as Nice Sea restaurant.
We had the most wonderful time at Nice Sea and we were both so very sad to leave but we will definitely be going back to visit again and would recommend the resort to others.

Room Tip: All bungalows have sea view
Herts
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Some friends we met at another hotel recommended this hotel and restaurant and so we went along for a look. It is quite hard to find as it is set well back from the main road and there is a short walk from the car park over the footbridge crossing the stream. There are various styles of bungalow with different rates, some of which looked absolutely perfect. There is white sand as soon as you enter the grounds of the hotel which is swept regularly. Towards the beach you can get a traditional Thai massage for 300 baht that you wont forget - those elbows, knees and big toes - ouch!! The beach extends north and south where you can find some secluded spots to get rid of your white bits!! Although we didn't stay at this hotel, I understand that it is very good value for money, we did eat at the restaurant on several occasions because the food and beer is cheaper than anywhere else around and of excellent quality. Should I return to Koh Phangan in the future I would definitely try to book a bungalow here (it does seem extremely popular).

Room Tip: Sorry I didn't stay here, just used the beach and restaurant.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We arrived at Nice Sea Resort after a bad stay elsewhere and we were pleased to be welcomed and greeted so warmly by the owners of Nice Sea Resort. We managed to get their last available bungalow and were impressed by the cleanliness of it. Windows had screens and room and bathroom were tidy. We quickly made it our home, enjoying the beach and the resident puppies.
It's a family run business and they're all genuinely hospitable. Communication is easy...clearly a well run business! Thanks to Nice Sea Resort for an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the beach likely quieter as some nearby bars play music at times.
1 Thank CocoParis