“nice room and pool, lousy breakfast”
Review of Sea Garden Resort

Sea Garden Resort
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My stay started bad but got better.

I stayed in one of the more basic rooms, which are up by the road. The room was big, new and in a modern style, but no view.
You have to leave the key and ask them to clean the room or it's not done, ok for me.

The breakfast was BAD. The first morning I could not drink the orange juice and the coffee tasted two days old and the fruit salad was very poor. Next morning I ordered eggs. Eggs were not good and the sausages were cold. One day I told the lady in reception to taste the juice and the next day it was a better one and even the coffee tasted better.

I had one dinner there, the first evening. Worst Green Curry in five years travelling in Thailand. I don't know who is cooking but I think no Thai woman can cook such a lousy Green Curry if she has the right ingredients.
The main reason to stay here is the pool with sun set view. The space around it is nice and so is the bar (and in the bar you can have a GOOD fruit salad much better then in the restaurant!)

The Burmese staff was friendly, the lady in the reception mostly nice but not always.
The second day I was complaining about the WiFI. I had no WiFi-signal in my room for 24 hours, and told her I paid for a room with WiFi and they had to fix it or I want to check out and get my money back for four nights and I told her I wanted to talk to the manager/owner about it.
"You have to talk with Agoda she said angrily" and did not see that as a problem for HER. Anyway day 2-5 it was working pretty good.

So all in all ok thanks to the pool and the location. You can walk to the very nice Secrete Beach in just 10-15 minutes. If I come back to this area i will probably try another hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The room itself is beautiful and the location is great on the quieter side of the island. However, the staff felt largely indifferent and I expected more especially from a resort where I was paying $90 USD a night. I probably would not have left a review except for the fact that I paid for a taxi service in the morning for my girlfriend and I to catch an early morning 7:15 ferry. The taxi was supposed to be there between 6am and 6:15am. We waited till 6:40 and then started walking and finally found a driver who just barely got us there in time. The seaview rooms are beautiful but if you are close to the pool you will often experience the noise from music playing and the walls are thin so even though it is a separate cabana, you can clearly hear you neighbors partying next door. No beach access either. Wish I would have saved some cash and got a quieter place on the beach. Infinity pool is nice but not worth the extra cost especially given the sub par service.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from pool if you want things to be quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed here for three nights at peak season around New Year so it was quite pricey (1800 baht) for one of the more basic rooms, which are up by the road. The room felt modern and fairly chic but the road is quite noisy. You have to ask them to clean the room each day or it's not done, which isn't great for a top end resort like this. The breakfast was fairly good with a decent choice but was a bit hit and miss as to the quality of what they plated up each morning (our hot breakfast was served cold one morning).

All of that aside, the main reason to stay here is the pool. It's amazing and they've designed the space around it perfectly so there's a nice bar, which also orders food for you from the restaurant and the staff are really nice, especially once they get to know your face. It's an amazing pool and with the "cheap" rooms being pretty good it makes this place totally worth staying at. Our friend had booked a far more expensive room with a sea view (5000 baht per night over NYE week), which was basically fantastic, even at the price. If we'd had his room we'd have been paying a hell of a lot but it would have been worth it. Really nice design, with a balcony view that is nothing more than sea and coast line.

We found the staff to be really friendly and helpful and like most places on the island it's easy to get everywhere if you've got a bike or you're happy to spend a relatively small amount on a taxi.

We'd definitely stay here again, especially outside of peak season when the rooms would likely be much cheaper.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I paid almost USD 60 a night for a room that should have been like $20 a night.

Toilet did not work, nobody changed the linens or emptied the trash, no lock box as promised, very weak wi-fi and no refrigerator.

There are big holes in the floor so they were several large beetles in my room plus ants and mosquitoes.

I sat down for breakfast, it took 40 minutes to get a menu. Then nobody spoke English, so your order was whatever they guessed, cold instant coffee and runny eggs.

The service level was zero.

The pool and grounds are gorgeous but many other places on that side of the island are as well, some who might appreciate your business.

Huge disappointment, I usually never pre-book but it was holiday time and we got burned.

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely place! Myself and friends stayed here as we were on the island for the full moon party. It is absolutely lovely, the staff are friendly and can't do enough for you, the rooms are fantastic with a/c, comfy beds and a fab shower. They are tastefully yet traditionally decorated and very light and airy. The views are stunning, as is the gorgeous infinity pool. The restaurant has a great selection of Thai and western food and is available throughout the day and evening. There are a few shops and massage places about a 5 minute walk away, however if you are there for the full moon party be aware that the hotel is a good 45 minutes away from the beach where it is held. This didn't bother me and my friends though as we were happy to hang around there away from the hustle and bustle during the day. The room rates were fantastic, cannot rate this highly enough

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The pool is exactly as in the picture and is the hotels best feature ,the pool bar is a wonderful place to watch the sunset and have a breeze.the restaurant also has excellent views.the room we had was clean a most strange lay ot.where the balcony should be is a closed in room with a bath and 1 table and 1 chair.the sea view here is so wasted.the rooms at the front of the hotel were more expensive and better.the staff were lovley friendly and helpful.we loved buzzing about on our rented motorbikes all day seeing things then relaxing and eating at the pool at night.the poolis amazing.

Room Tip: don't have a road room pay extra and have a sea front room you will love it
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank teeno1
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in a 'superior' room but this is one of the cheapest rooms you can get at the resort (about £15 each a night). The room was a bit weird with a green colour scheme, bathroom was a cupboard with a shower over the toilet and no window/extractor fan. There was a huge indoor type balcony (with a bath in!) but it was boiling hot in there (useful for drying clothes though!). The beds were uncomfortable. If you turned off the air con you could hear the electricity lines crackling outside the room. Positives of the room were it was very clean, had adequate air con, and a fridge stocked with reasonably priced drinks. We didn't get our complimentry water but we didn't complain. Also it took us half the trip to work out that to get our room cleaned we needed to hand in our key to reception (no one told us).

If you don't mind a very basic room, it is worth staying here for the pool area. It is absoltely beautiful with an infinity pool looking down towards the sea. There are also stone sunbeds in shallow water which is great for cooling off. The resort is out the way but the local taxis (trucks) pass by every few minutes which you can hire for reasonable prices- about 150b each to the ferry and even the black moon party was only 200b each (£4) each way. Reception have flyers advertising day trips too and reception will book these for you. Breakfast was included and good quality, though sometimes it took a long time to arrive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends