“Som is excellent , loved her food and made a fantastic friend . Really made my trip.”

The Som Tum Restaurant - Mama Cooking
Ranked #101 of 386 Restaurants in Ko Pha Ngan
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stumbled across this little restaurant off the main track. I had been in Thailand 3 days and wanted to taste some good food and to learn how to cook Thai. Som welcomed us and we ordered some food all of which was excellent not to mention cheap , about £ 1 per dish. Having had such a great time I enquired about wanting to learn how to cook traditional Thai. Som was so lovely and told me to come back tomorrow and she would teach me. The next day I turned up and I was fortunate to meet her little sister who has flown over from Australia as it was Christmas . Se too was lovely and very welcoming. We didn't end up learning much about cooking but I met the whole family. I couldn't believe how simple live could be and that they had let me in to their family. Over the days I kept going back and have to say without this experience the holiday would have been different . I remember som and her family like it was yesterday and can't wait to go back to see her with my family. Totally recommended.

• Visited December 2012

• Thai first
“Busy and Excellent”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Found this gem by word of mouth. Small, busy, cheap and with excellent food - you must try the curry's. Avoid the time between 19 and 21:30 if you do not drop by and make reservations, very busy indeed, and getting service is hard. Som is working hard and the wait is worth it. Been there twice, and will go back tomorrow!

• Visited August 2013
“As nice a local restaurant as you can get”
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

After discovering this place we became regulars for our remaining days on Koh Samui. It is run by a girl who does the serving and a boy (friend?) who does the cooking.

They seem to have a lot of regulars and you quickly feel like one if you make the effort. Their food is really good, a common favorite for me and my wife was the green curry with chicken - Tastalicious!

Prices are Thai level so no worries there. If you're looking for a small, local restaurant with a pitoresque setting, good food, nice service and often a regular or two to heighten the atmosphere, this is your place!

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great Thai food”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Went to this resturant pretty much by accident for the first time, but came back for every meal after the first time we ate there.

Located on a small street connecting the main street of thong nai pan yai to the beach, just before the bakery.

Ate mainly Thai food which was really tasty, and very cheap, especially in comparison to other resturants on the beach. Ate Papaya Salad (50 Baht), Spring rolls which were good, BBQ Pork, various kinds of stir fry, which were all really good.

It is a thai style resturant, with no spesific decor and int on the beach.

Would Definetly Return!!