“Perfect place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Pha Ngan
Shambhala Bungalow Village
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed 5 nights in a standard fan bungalow with seaview and it was definitly the most incredible place at our tour through southeast asia. It felt a little bit like the jungle book. The bungalows are basic, in a wooden style with really nice terraces with hammocks. The food was excellent (if you are vegetarian: try the veggie burgers! they are really great!) Its the perfect place for relaxing, its very quite and the staff is really helpful and friendly. We will definitly come back...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tillandra

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have recently returned from a trip travelling all round SE Asia and my last port of call was Shambhala so I could have some chillout time beofre heading back to my home country and back to work.
I arrived at Shambhala and walked into a construction zone and was told to go down to the resturant. I was then told bungalow #2. I thought at the time there was no welcome feeling and when I got to my bungalow it was a beautiful wooden handcrafted building and all that was inside was a bed, fan, mosquito net, shower and toilet with three luxury items included - one tea light candle, a lighter and a small bottle of 'sham poo'. There was a multitude of nails in the framework inside the bungalow obviously for hanging clothing on as there were no hooks or coathangers other than all that there was the deck, hammock and the view which was outstanding.
There was a fetid smell coming from the shower water and I suspect there may have been a dead rodent or of sorts within the watertank or waterline to the hut, I passed this onto the one english speaking staff member who hopefully understood what I was saying.
There was a bucket in the bathroom for used toilet tissue as iwe could not flush this down the toilet due to there being a septic tank which was ok but after 3 days sitting in an open bucket with no lid and no 'room service' I had to remove this along with other rubbish as it was obvious none of the staff were going to do it. On day 3, I also had to request fresh towels. I checked out on day 5 and not once during my stay did anyone ask how I was or whether I required fresh sheets, towels or rubbish removed.
Every morning at 6am without fail I was awoken by the four resident dogs that roamed the property, I was told in an email to please be aware of noise and other guests as the bungalows are close together, if this is the case then the dogs should be restrained. I lay a towel out on the beach and had to remove some dog poo.
The beach is lovely but you cannot swim in it as the water is only knee deep.
I gave Shambhala a low rating because I feel they should be made aware of some of the simple things that could make a stay more satisfying and bang for buck. I was charged 1300b per night for 5 nights, the girls beside me were charged 900b, I was very disappointed and pointed this out to the staff. I stayed at some really amazing budget guesthouses and backpacker hotels in my travels which were very professional with their visitors, I paid far less for more service, if Shambhala picked up their game then this would be an amazing place too along with its amazing view.

I did love my time here, the view was amazing, I read three books, I chilled out and relaxed.

Suggested Improvements;
- Welcome people as they arrive and indicate what services are available
- Put a sign up telling customers there is some construction and indicate the building would be between certain hours of the day
- Have an entrance/office at the top of the property, perhaps thats what the construction is for but for now there is nothing, not even a sign
- Supply rubbish bins in bathrooms with a lid and ask 'daily' if these require changing - soiled loo paper isn't pretty and is smelly!!
- Have a welcome surprise in each room, this could be as simple as a few flowers on the bed
- Restrain the dogs
- Let visitors know the resturant is closed rather than putting a sign up
- Remove the accumulated junk under and around the bungalows i.e. surfboards, potting mix, tools etc

Room Tip: Don't expect too much for your dollar apart from million dollar views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Ginga40
Reviewed July 15, 2012

First I arrived to spend 3 nights in Shambhala.. Then it became 3 weeks.. I just couldn't leave this charming place :) I met there another traveler with same "disease" (3 days -> 3 weeks) and 2 others who were there since more than 1 month, although they also booked only a few days first. I think, this tells everything about the place.. :)
Although if not, here some tips:
- So this is a family-run resort. The atmosphere is what makes this place special and adds that extra notch. Staff is friendly and very helpful.
- Bungalows are clean, cozy, nicely designed.
- The restaurant offers delicious meals, and it's priceless to spend your dinner a few steps away from the sea, while catching a stunning sunset (which happens here almost every day, as Ao Nai Wok beach is one of the greatest spot for sunset watching).
- Location is pretty good. The main town of the island (Thong Sala) is just 2 km away so you can make your necessary shopping there. Haad Rin is far enough to hide away when it's Full Moon Party, still close enough to get there if you wanna go crazy - it's about 10 km.
All in all I can really recommend this place to the ones searching for a chilling, laid-back, cozy place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We came here after spending time in Chaweng, and honestly wanted to leave on the next ferry.
Im glad we gave this place a chance and could appreciate it for what it is.

It is definately not party central, the closest shops are at Thong Sala which is half an hour walk. You will need scooters to stay here, tuk tuk's come past sometimes too.

The beach front bungalow was as pictured on the website, clean and amazing view. We didnt get bitten by mosquitos, shower was good. Beach very shallow, we did manage one swim in the middle of the night when it was high tide :) Got some great photos, there was noone around in low season. A few cats and dogs hanging on the beach if you're desperate for company.

The restaurant wasnt open all the time, we had breakfast once and it was delicious.

Wi-fi was free and fast.

Overall an interesting experience, great chill out place. I can see how people come for a few days and end up extending their stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Very friendly staff, great food and service! They help us booking a bus ride, scooter and gave us great tips for the island!
The restaurant serves very good food, has free wi-fi and the view is amazing.
The rooms are very clean with hot shower and a small balconie were you could spend the whole day. I would love to come back to this place and spend at least one week.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed June 29, 2012

To begin with, the location is lovely. I stayed on a beach front bungalow and the view was breathtaking, even the bungalow was good but it gets too warm in the night. You need to have an A.C. Also, if you are looking for a beach to swim, this isnt one. We walked for a km on both sides but nothing was deep enough to swim.

The staff is friendly. Da helped us with most of our problems and the food is good too. But if you're looking for some party, crazy place with Koh Phangans reputation, this isn't one!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Shambhala for 4 nights whilst on a trip around the south of Thailand. We were pleasantly surprised with what we found!

We stayed in a beach front bungalow - lots of space, hammock on the deck and a great view of the beach and sunset. Clean room though the bungalows get very warm at night and expect to be bitten by mosqitoes!

Really quiet location, though we did stay in low season so the bungalows along the rest of the beach in other resorts were not occupied. We rented a bike from the bungalows for 2 days which we would definitely reccommend to be able to see the island and transport to Thong Sala is not easy to get hold of in the evenings.

The restaurants serves excellent Thai snacks and meals. As it was low season it was quiet and it did close early so best to let them know that you want to eat there for dinner in the day. Staff are great - really friendly and always willing to help.

Expect to stay and be well rested!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple