“Great Stay at Big Blue”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Big Blue Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Pha Ngan
Big Blue Bungalows
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Great Stay at Big Blue”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My fiancee I have been living in Thailand for 8 months and recently spent four days on Haad Yuan. We had heard that Koh Phangan was gorgeous and worth seeing, but we aren't exactly the Full Mooner types. Don't get me wrong we love a good time, but drunken stupidity perpetrated by obnoxious tourists really isn't our thing. So with some research we decided that Haad Yuan was more our speed, and boy was that a good decision!

We had initially thought to stay at Eden Garden, which all of our research concluded was a 'come and see' sort of affair with no reservations possible. So we decided to risk it and go forth without any reservations. When we got there they were full (it is tourist season, of course they were!) so we carried ourselves over to Big Blue, who luckily had rooms open.

Their bungalows run between 450-600 baht/night (about $13-$18), which is a great deal anywhere, but even more so on Koh Phangan, which was quite a bit pricier than we had expected (a lot of the prices on the internet are very much out of date or not specified enough). Our Bungalow was the last one at the very top of stairs, B5. The view from the room was absolutely stunning! I am not a morning person, but I woke up every day at the crack of dawn to take in the beauty of that view. The bungalow was simple, but very nice and very clean. There is no hot water for the shower, but the weather is so beautiful that it totally isn't necessary. I spent so much time swimming on the beach that I barely even needed the shower anyway.

The service at Big Blue is great! The employees are very warm and polite, and do everything they can to provide good service. We ate in the restaurant quite a bit, which is a bit pricey (by Thailand standards), but so is every other restaurant on Haad Yuan so there is no avoiding that. However their portions sizes are good, the food is delicious, and they definitely try to give you as much bang for your buck as they can. Unlike many touristic restaurants you don't come out feeling cheated, which was very nice. While there I had their omelet and toast, croque monsieur (not a true croque, more like a nice ham and cheese on toast) but still very yummy, pad thai, and red curry with tofu. Each dish was great and filling!

One of my favorite parts of the Big Blue main house/ restaurant, is that each night they show movies on two large projector screens. While I was there I saw two of my favorite movies, Almost Famous and Talledega Nights. It was very fun, because the atmosphere was great and relaxed. Lots of people just chilling and enjoying a good time watching some movies. Also with Big Blue I felt they were a good low price option for a family. There are two resort like hotels on Haad Yuan, but they are pricey. Other accommodations are either only accessibly by a very non-kid friendly bamboo cat walk, or are probably not places you would want to stay with children. My fiancee and I have no children, so we definitely were there to partake in the more non-family friendly activities, but Big Blue runs a very nice place with what I felt to be a family friendly environment. So if that is what you are looking for, but still want to see Haad Yuan, Big Blue is your place! From our bungalow we could hear no real noise that we found bothersome, granted we weren't in our room for most of the night.

The only things I would say that could improve Big Blue, would be:

1) An included breakfast: With the great expense of just getting there, double the numbers and there is the round trip cost (1,300baht/per person from Hua Hin to Thong Sala, then 500baht taxi to Haad Rin) then the expense of the boat taxi (150 baht 1 way off season, 300 high season/per person) an included breakfast would really go a long way for the traveler, especially since everything on the island is of equal price and you will most likely end up eating with them 95% of your stay any how.
2) An update, not necessarily upgrade, on their beds and bedding: The bungalows are nice and would look so much better if they just found nicer, less worn out looking sheet and pillow case set. Additionally the blanket provided was beginning to be in tatters and was pretty much at the end of its road. It did the job and was clean, though, so this is really just a nit pic I suppose. One of our two mattresses was on its last legs and was quite uncomfortable, though. But to be fair finding entirely comfortable beds in Thailand in general has not been easy.

Overall I very much enjoyed my stay, it was beautiful, peaceful, fun, welcoming, and the service was great. This place has good value and for me and my fiancee the romantic aspect was definitely there! Oh did I mention they comped my bucket? That was extremely nice of them...I think they were shocked that I 1) ordered the Sang Som bucket and 2) finished it and wasn't drunk (I did take my time with it while watching Ricky Bobby =) ) Great place, great experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PoqPitcher20

Business
Dublin
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Big blue is a great place to return too, as it’s on a really wonderful beach and actually serves great food in its restaurant. Unfortunately the rooms have gone very tired and really need updating and a good clean. The beds are lumpy and uncomfortable. All the staff are really sweet apart from the small girl behind reception with glasses, she’s quite rude and off putting. She was so rude to us this time we left after one night for the Haed Tien beach over by the sanctuary, as Beam Bungalows and food are amazing. Haed Tien huts are also a fab budget option with a really wonderful lady running them over by the Sanctuary. We continued to eat lunch over at big blue as this beach is far superior to Haed Tien beach. The two ladies working down the beach in Barcelona massage are amazing therapists. A much visit if you like a strong massage.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dublinblueeyes
London
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Bungalows were basic, we had the second one back from the beach with two bedrooms each with a double bed and en-suite loo slash shower room. Not totally clean, lots of dust, stuff under the bed and a huge spider one night which meant I couldn't sleep the other nights lol. I reckon creepy crawlies would have stayed out had the room been better swept / cleaned but hey it costs nothing to stay here so can't really complain. As I say love the films and atmosphere in the main restaurant area. Staff were friendly. If I go back I will probably stay at the Centara (the 5 star up the beach) and walk up to the Big Blue each night to chill and hang out... that's how scared that spider left me!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ukdealhunter
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at Big blue for the first time two years ago and loved it. I returned again this year not to be disappointed. It really is paradise! The basic room offers all you really need, the staff are really friendly and cannot do enough for you, the restaurant serves up great food and the nightly films really make a relaxing evening. I could not imagine staying anywhere else on Koh phangan. I cannot recommend this place enough!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank katherineaeaton
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had planned to stay for a couple of nights but ended up staying 6. The area is hard to leave. The bungalows are pretty basic, with just a fan to blow a bit of a breeze on you every now and again. As other reviewers have mentioned the bedding is pretty crap, hard mattress and even harder pillow but we just bought a couple of sarongs and used them as our sheets. That said, you don't spend that much time in the bungalow, sleep and a quick shower and your out on the beach for the rest of the time. All windows have insect screens as well so that is a big plus. We ate up at the Bamboo Hut most of the time, fantastic food and free wi-fi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nzravencan
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Another great stay at the Big Blue. My 4th time in 10 years here and I always like coming back. My only area where they need to improve is on the beds/pillows. I’m pretty sure I stayed on the same bed, using the same pillow 10 years ago. Time for a fresh set guys. It’s below standard in this department.

I always just run a tab for the entirety of my stay and it’s always 100% accurate. I totally trust the staff of this place. They are good, good people. Read my other post for a full review.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachBugger
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Yep the bungalows need a good scrub down and some new sheets, but I keep coming back. There's something's about this beach, the staff, the island....and I'm not a Full Moon Partier. It's so laid back and the bay is awesome for just laying back and floating. The price is right for a long term or budget traveler so grab a sleep sack and try it out!

• Stayed July 2012