“Back again!”
Review of Big Blue Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Pha Ngan
Big Blue Bungalows
Vancouver, Canada
“Back again!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Another great stay at the Big Blue. My 4th time in 10 years here and I always like coming back. My only area where they need to improve is on the beds/pillows. I’m pretty sure I stayed on the same bed, using the same pillow 10 years ago. Time for a fresh set guys. It’s below standard in this department.

I always just run a tab for the entirety of my stay and it’s always 100% accurate. I totally trust the staff of this place. They are good, good people. Read my other post for a full review.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BeachBugger

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Yep the bungalows need a good scrub down and some new sheets, but I keep coming back. There's something's about this beach, the staff, the island....and I'm not a Full Moon Partier. It's so laid back and the bay is awesome for just laying back and floating. The price is right for a long term or budget traveler so grab a sleep sack and try it out!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ahessCA
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Perfect escape from the madness of the full moon. We stayed here in September and loved it. the food is so reasonable and really tasty. The rooms were basic but comfortable - equipt with plenty of bugs (most of them friendly!!) The beach is stunning and so relaxing. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SamBluey1995
Rayong, Thailand
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I stayed here with a group of friends in march. We had a wonderful time and it was one of those places you hate to leave! If you are not one for basics, this isn't the place for you. No ac, no hw, bugs, nature noise... I loved it.. I hope you do too. There isn't much to do on haad yuan- its the place to come to truly relax and "do nothing!" Bliss!!!

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank meghangw
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I absolutely loved my stay here, I wished we'd stayed longer. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food was amazing and the beach was beautiful. The bungalow I stayed in was basic with a fan, but clean and comfortable. The staff reminded us to collect our room key deposit when we were leaving and had forgotten - we would have left without it. I highly recommend this place to anyone wanting to get away from the party atmosphere of Haad Rin - it's a 10 minute and 200 baht boat ride from Haad Rin.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pamela L
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 21, 2011

The Big Blue is one of my all-time favourite places to stay. I have been 3 times starting 2002 and not much has changed (unlike the rest of Thailand which has changed dramatically). The people who run the place are great. When I returned in 2006 they remembered me instantly from 4 years previous. And again in 2009. They get to know their patrons. It’s genuine.

It’s located a boat ride from Haad Rin. Just find a “boat boat” to get you there. It’s the place if you want to stay near the party, but not in the party. If you want to party, just take a taxi boat back and forth. Especially for us older folks (30 somethings) who like the quiet peacefulness, it’s paradise.

The bungalows are simple, rustic and right on the beach. Nothing luxury here. But they are suitable and get the job done. The restaurant is good with a wide variety of Thai and western favourites. Drinks are reasonably priced as is the food. The nightly movies are a fun get together for all staying there. People gather for dinner and a movie once the sun goes down. It’s a nice place to meet other travellers, so it really has that backpacker vibe.

You pay for nothing during your stay. You just give your room number for all food and beverage purchases. So you don’t need money at all until the end of your stay. I am always amazed at the final cost and how low it is. We stayed for 5 nights last time. We ate and drank well. And our bill was less than $200 Canadian.

There’s not a ton to do here. You do a lot of sitting. Reading. Swimming. You can shoot hoops or play ping pong if you want to be active. There are other great restaurants to go to as well on Haad Yuan.

All in all. This is the rustic beach front bungalows you seek if you’re not a fancy pants.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Fantastic place to stay as Big Blue is located on the beech and close to all the action at Hadrin. The food was unbelievable and best we had in Thailand. Only slight issue would be that the rooms can get very hot at night as they only have a fan but for the price you cant complain.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends