“Best accommodation we had in Thailand”

Da Kanda Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 132 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“Best accommodation we had in Thailand”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great hotel with a lovely pool with a view to the white beach (but the sea is very shallow). Nice clean rooms - AC, small fridge, TV. I like "concrete design" very much. Wi-fi is free and works only around reception.
You can stay in a villas in the garden or rent a room in the hotel. Both looks great. We had a room in first floor - and were completely satisfied, no noise...just a relax.
We ate a very nice thai food in their restaurant, saff is very friendly and helpful.
Rent a bike and go through the length and breadth of the island - elephants, jungle, waterfaals, night markets...and paradise beach in the north (Not sure - Mae haad Mae?).
Definitely recommend to all travelers - price for a night is 700Bahts when you stay 3 nights.

Room Tip: Higher floor will be the best choice - great view to the banana´s garden.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
london
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Great hotel in Ban Tai in Koh Phangan with a nice pool and access to the beach.
Rooms were OK size with AC and balconies. Wifi is free and works in most parts of the resort (not in the rooms tho, but in the corridor, restaurant and lobby the signal was good).
Breakfast was enjoyable too, you can chose either American, European or Thai breakfast.
We also had dinner in the restaurant a couple of times and the food was very good! I'd highly recommend chicken with cashew nuts and rice!
As for the location, is close enough to the pier and you can catch a songtaew to Had Rin etc from the road outside of the hotel. We had a car, so the distance wasn't an issue for us.

Overall good value for money, clean rooms and a good restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have now stayed at Da Kanda twice and I enjoyed my stay both times. We rented a villa; the villas are individual houses with a large bed, small entry sitting area, tv, outdoor restroom, and cushioned window seat. The beach in front of Da Kanda is quiet and feels like a private beach. The pool is wonderful with a view of the ocean. The first time I stayed at Da Kanda the service personnel were extremely nice and we participated in a Buddhist holiday celebration with them. The hotel has expanded a bit since that first visit and the staff (especially the desk ladies) were a lot colder and unhelpful. The restaurant on the beach serves decent Thai food and very good western options. The wifi is pretty good although not entirely consistent.

I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to be in a private house, choose a villa.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LB_Haze
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed July 22, 2013

While in transit we stayed only one night and therefore ordered only a room for 800 Baht and not a (more expensive) bungalow.
But we expected to get at least a fully functional guest room.
Instead all was a mess. We had a permantely running toilet, the shower head was only partly working and the sink - oh my god - had a blocked drain! We experienced that only in the night bevor we went to bed, so we kept it like it is and complained the next day, but it looked like they were not interested at all, to hear that.
In the evening we had a power cut (what is acceptable at Koh Phangan), but the hotel did not started a generator, so we sit in the dark for about 20 minutes. Big resorts like this should have a (working) generator, imho.
The service was not friendly at all, we felt like we disturb the receptionist, while talking to her.
Also we were astonished to find a list of all items in the room with prices, how much you have to pay, if you make something broken. It looks like the usual guests are rather rowdies than normal hotel guests?

Room Tip: We recommend to check the room / bungalow very closely, before you accept it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcello_crystallo

Travelers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Nice rooms, basic bathroom. Restaurant very nice with good food. 10 minute walk to thongsala, pool is excellent place to cool off. Few stray animals but are rarely any bother. Staff are very friendly in restaurant made us feel very welcome would recommend to a friend, we stayed in a villa for two nights.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank CallumSc
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Spent 9 Nights here and loved it! The food was great at the restaurant and the staff are always willing to help with advise in what to do an how to get there. I was in a villa and it had a huge bed and was clean the bathroom was very basic but the hot water worked well and it was clean. Yes there are gaps around the top of the roof in the bathroom but I had no issues with the bugs in the bathroom. My AC did stop working at one point during my stay but they had a technician there within 30 minutes to repair it. I would defiantly stay here again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NZ-B3n
Redcar
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our room was not cleaned properly and when my wife and I went to complain the receptionist, whose name is Ping, said she was also the manager and owner, Basically called my wife and I liars. She prefered to believe her staff. She constantly interupted my wife and I so I raised my voice a little and she shouted at me. This woman is a disgrace to the hotel industry and the highest position she should have in the industry is sweeping the floor although I doubt if she could do that correctly. She doesn't seem to understand that when guests complain they do it for valid reasons. She should have at least come to our room to confirm our complaints.
My wife found large cockroaches in our shower/toilet room which were around 1 inch long that scared her so I had to catch them and throw them out.
The shower/toilet room has just grey bare plaster walls which is very depressing and should be tiled. The tap in the sink was loose and the shower heater didn't work.
The water in the swimming pool was murky, green with algae and clearly wasn't cared for as it should. I've had a swimming pool at my house in Africa for years and know how easy it is to keep a pool clear.
The hotel has potential with a fantastic location but sadly it is let down by the staff and the rooms not being completed to an acceptable standard.
Until this is recified I would recommend people stay away from this hotel. Pity because the outside of the rooms is fantastic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple