“This place overbooks”

Da Kanda Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #19 of 139 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We booked this hotel through Booking.com and had a confirmed reservation. After our long journey from Bangkok we arrived at reception only to be told that there was no room for us. Normally, according to Booking.coms arrangement with hotels, the booked hotel must provide us with alternative accommodation. However, the receptionist could not contact the Management and told us we had to find our own accommodation. Whilst we cannot blame the receptionist in any way as she did try to soothe our frayed nerves, we do feel the the role of the Management at this hotel is very questionable. In retrospect we are glad that we did not stay at Da Kanda as found ourselves a much better alternative.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ronyag54

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Really nice staff people..beautiful place with a great pool and in a good location, we spent some days in here with some more friends coming after and we all agree to say it is a good place to stay when you´re in the island.
the food also was good! and the waiters all cool people!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I dont understand how this place has got so many good reviews. We picked it as we were coming for NYE and as we'd left it late to book and the reviews looked ok, we're fairly easy to please people but this place seriously tested our patience.

The location is ok, it's close to the main pier (and the hotel will provide a free transfer but only if the driver is actually working that day) but its miles away from the FMP. A taxi into town will set you back 100bht per person, we hired a scooter from in town for 150 a day, DON'T hire from the hotel or the place down the road from the hotel as they chare 250 a day. Once you have a scooter then you can really do your own thing and explore the island.

First the positives, the rooms aren't too bad, but they need some serious maintenance, our curtains were half hanging off, the toilet had seen better days and our door barely locked. But it was pretty clean, tidy and the air con worked. Granted the shower wasn't great but when your in the islands you take what you can get.

The pool was lovely, plenty of loungers and it was clean and faced the beach so a really nice setting. Also the guys at the bar were very friendly and helpful, and the view from the bar is amazing.

Ok so now the negatives, don't eat here ever. Breakfast is a complete joke, bread is stale, all the 'hot' food is cold, the toaster doesn't work and there are flies on everything. My partner even saw a dead cockroach on the plate of watermelon! The hotel next door (Lime and Soda) apparently offers a much better buffet for only 80bht so a lot of people would walk next door for breakfast.

Other food here is also average, skip it and go into town, much cheaper and nicer options there.

Finally the management here are so rude and so unhelpful. Our room was cleaned once in the four days we were here, considering we only had one roll of toilet paper we needed it cleaned more than once! You put a sign out to advise you'd like it cleaned but it made no difference. We have up and bought our own toilet paper in the end as that's the only time you'd get more paper. We weren't the only ones annoyed about this, other guests also complained that their rooms were never cleaned even when asked. One guest mentioned that the manager was extremely rude about it and she just walked away.

The final straw was when we checked out, we advised the night before that we had a ferry to catch at 7am and could we please have a taxi waiting. I was told to come at 6:20am to check out. At 6:20am we arrived at the reception and there was one guy there who told me he had to find the manager to check us out of the hotel, he left for ten minutes then advised she would be there in five minutes. I advised we were catching the ferry in 30 minutes and were expecte at the pier now. He just repeated five minutes and waved me away rudely. Finally the manager checked us out, and when we asked about the ride to the pier she said she didn't know anything about it and we should of told her the night before. We advised that we did and were told our ride would be here at 6:20am, in the end we simply walked away, not worth the fight.

Don't stay here, there are plenty of better hotels and resorts on the island that are cheaper, nicer with actual friendly staff. We breathed a sigh of relief when we left. Such a shame as it has the potential to be a great resort.

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank Patricia B
Reviewed December 22, 2012

yes, i agree there are a couple small things that need to change at DaKanda, but for the most part we loved this place. We traveled with two kids ages 2 and 5. and this is our second time in a year. Here are some good points: Beach is one of the best close to down town, pool is great for kids and clean, kitchen is clean and food great, kitchen staff are extremly nice all from burma, great location. nice rooms,
Not so good points: open bathrooms in outside villas which is not to bad , but it would be nice to have them screened in atleast, cleaning staff seems to be extremly lazy, but still get the job done and will do anything for you if you ask, the owner is thai/chinese and hires Burmese workers accept the front desk and cleaners, so the kitchen staff are from Burma and are extremely nice.
Advice: dont leave your helmets on your moped anywhere in Thailand it might get stolen, sometimes you may have a noisy nieghbour in Thailand, when you do not want extra friendly staff not to talk to you ask them go away and that you would like some time alone dont blame them. I cannot stand it when people complain about resorts when most of the time its thier own fault. You have to remember where you are. and what you are paying for your accomidations. Stop your crying! I love the DaKanda for the price and the location its a great stop for a few days before going up north on the island. (Dreamland in Thong Nai pan yai also a great place for kids)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank kidsKamloops
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I came here to have a holiday break with my partner before the season starts and despite liking it initially had the worst experience ever anywhere in Asia. I have been traveling for 3 months now in Asia and truly been to a lot of places yet nowhere I encountered a terrible experience like this.
1. To give you an idea i could start with the waiters overly friendly and at times harassing. It was hard sometimes to get a quiet time at the restaurant without having to engage in a long discussion with them. Since I em by nature friendly I went along for the most of the time, but I could not imagine a person coming here for a holiday break and some quietness keeping up their ironic and constant talkative approach. 2. The internet wifi is absolutely not working. I was told that it was island-related yet in all other places i went the internet was working. After 5 days stay i was at the reception and the same lame excuse was being told to newly arrived customers. I of course told them the truth, that this management including owner are not capable of repairing or assessing a simple wifi system 3. I had left my scooter out in the front office 5m from the reception and 2 helmets got stolen, nobody could give me explanation about. 4. for the 3 last days of my complessive stay my room neighbours had loud music going on from their rooms at 7am and all night long. The door was left open. I asked the director politely to take care of the situation but had to handle it myself after nothing happened. I went to their room, which door was left open, and two guys smoking in the bed, looking drugged agreed to stay quiet. The same night i was woken up at 2,30 by screams, talk and chatting. I looked out of the window and it was not my neighbours i had just told to keep quiet yet a group of the DAKANDA staff. It was outrageous. The staff was eating food at 2,30am and being loud to wake up all customers. So i went out and I spotted none then the owner itself!! This is incredible, I screamed and told them to be quiet. Silence returned. Hard to believe the owner-director I had just complained about the neighbours noise was there making more noise at 2,30am. I em sorry for some of the staff that work there. Theres a few guys that are really good hearted and the food was really okay. Yet the managment and reception in this place are utterly decadent.

Room Tip: Dont take the first on the left as you walk in , try to get closer to the beach, more quiet there.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aivan B
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed here for a week with my girlfriend in October for the full moon party. The room was clean and spacious. We had one of the many individual bungalows. The outdoor bathrooms were interesting. Although our bungalow wasn't on the beach the restaurant was and the view at sunset was awesome. Servers and staff were very friendly.

Beach was clean but there isn't much swimming to be done in the ocean at this location as you'll have to wade your way a few hundred feet out to get some deep enough water.

This place is still a good half hour taxi ride each way to Hat Rin and the full moon party. If you're planning to stay here and go to the party it's a bit of a trek but also quiet once you get home. Overall this place was very good, but was pricey. Most likely because of the full moon party.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I spent 3 weeks in this hotel with boyfriend and friends... The bungalows are very large, outside bathroom is charming and the staff is really warm and welcoming. Have a drink at the swimming pool with the perfect view on the sea at sunset... Perfect !

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends