“The BEST place on Koh Phangan”

Phangan Beach Resort
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I stayed at Phangan Beach Resort in October at the start of my year of world travels. I can safely say that after travelling for 2 months in South East Asia, this family run resort was the best place I have stayed. The rooms and facilities are "perfect" for a group of friends, family or couples retreat. The beach is amazing, the bar and restaurant is amazing and the family run atmosphere is undoubtedly the best part about PBR. I was made to feel completely at home and welcome and was sad to leave my week on the resort. I recommend this to anyone who is visiting Koh Phangan, top notch 100%, don't miss out - Kayleigh!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kayleigh R
There are newer reviews for Phangan Beach Resort

Reviewed December 17, 2011

The staff make you feel at home the second you step foot in the resort, with great advice on activities on the Island, great food and competative prices.
Miss all the people there and can't wait to get back to PBR in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2011

I spent 8 nights at the Phangan Beach Resort in November 2011 and I honestly didn't want to leave. The family who run it are warm and friendly and the staff are all happy to help you any way they can. They have a beautiful beach right outside your door with sun loungers, lounge swings, hammocks and giant beanbags to relax on, a gorgeous pool to chill out by, masseuse on hand throughout the day and if you get an unfortunate day of rain they have a pool table, big screen TV and sofas to keep you entertained. I found the bungalows to be a good size, the beds are really comfortable and the rooms are all very clean, with lovely hot showers with good water pressure (which I found to be a novelty in Thailand!). The food in the restaurant is simple and tasty with a wide range available, including traditional Thai foods. It's just a short taxi ride into Haad Rin where the party is at, but there are also a few really good local bars within a 10 minute walk of the hotel. We went along to the Bangers & Mash karaoke night which was great fun! All in all I could not recommend this hotel highly enough. It's total paradise and you feel at home as soon as you arrive. It was so easy to make friends with the owners, staff and other guests and I will definitely be returning as soon as I can.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank leaturner18
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Great location, friendly owners and staff, well priced, excellent food. Definitely the best resort to stay for relaxation.
I recommend that anyone going here just for dinner , the food is amazing!

Room Tip: Beach front
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Me and my friend just walked into Phangan Beach Resort without preperation. We didn't read review or so. We first booked for a couple of days and later decided to stay for 8 days in total. We stayed in a bungalow in the garden (no beach view), but 20 meters walking to the beach.
There was also a pool which was great when you need to cool down.

We don't expected high standard so everything was fine by us (we didn't need much). The people were nice and friendly. At one day it was the birthday of someone at the resort, and we joined the BBQ.
Accidentally we forgot some stuff when we left. The owners found it and send it back to us. That was very kind! Thank you very much.

I surely recommend Phangan Beach Resort.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed at Phangan Beach Resort for 2 days towards the end of our 3 week trip, and I must say, having read other reviews, some of who's comments I can certainly relate to, in the grand scheme of things, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and none of the little niggles we encountered would have detracted from this.

I mean yes, they do ask you to read a full page of rules and regulations when you arrive and they do ask to keep your passports for the duration of your stay, but we had no reason to question this and were more than happy to comply. Admittedly we did think it was rather odd, and we were also somewhat alarmed by the extensive price list of items in the room - but this was their policy and so be it. They'd obviously had problems in the past with guests damaging the property and put steps in place to prevent it, which was understandable. If it was my place, I wouldn't want people turning up, getting drunk and creating havoc lol. Some of the replacement costs were slightly extravagant but we didn't intend on damaging or taking anything from the room so it really wasn't an issue!

More to the point, there wasn't really all that much in the room to break or steal! This was where I picked up on the only flaws that I would've considered to be of any importance. Firstly, the only furniture in the room was the double bed, a low table in one corner with a small lamp, a table on the other side of the room with the TV on top, and next to that, the fridge. There was quite a vast area of empty floor space opposite the TV and fridge, which could really have been doing with possibly a small table and chairs/stools or dressing table, as there was nowhere to sit in the room apart from bed and nowhere to place anything or lay clothes, etc. We had to use the curtain rails to hang towels and beach wear! There was also no mirror, apart from the small mirror above the sink in the bathroom, which I had to stand on my tip toes to see into, and only one spare powerpoint for chargers, hairdryers, etc, so it was always a race to get to it first!

Others have commented on the bathroom being outside, which technically it was, but it was fine. The only problem with the bathroom was that the drainage didn't work properly, so after a shower, it took quite some time for the water to drain away. And yes, the toilet was right next to the shower and we had to remove the toilet roll, but after a few weeks of staying in various places, we found this to be the norm! One other minor glitch was the towel rail wasn't wide enough to hold both towels so they never really dried properly and developed quite a musty smell after a short while.

These were the only flaws with the room, none of which were serious - the bungalow itself was lovely. As authentic inside as it was on the out and the air con worked a treat (although another sign on the wall was that you couldn't have it on for more than 8 hours a day or you would incur additional charges, which was pretty much impossible). Needless to say, we didn't incur any additional costs for use of the air con, I don't imagine this is something that the owners can monitor, it's probably just there to deter people from keeping it on constantly, which is fair enough as it's probably quite expensive to run.

The beach was amazing and we had a little bit to sit on right outside our front door, the whole resort had a very private and secluded feel to it, which was exactly what we were after. The grounds of the resort were lovely aswell, with nicely landscaped gardens, all very well maintained. The pool was great too, which we didn't get time to use properly and there was a cute little bar right on the beach. The only downside to this was the music that came from the large speaker next to the bar, which was very close to our room, as our beachfront bungalow was the closest one to the restaurant / bar area and the loud dance music didn't really die down until after midnight, even though the resort was very quiet during our stay. We actually only saw 2 other couples while we were there so I'm not quite sure who was supposed to benefit from the music! The noise didn't end there as the motorised fishing boats started up quite early in the morning!

Even though the resort was quiet during the day, this was exactly what we wanted - the setting was lovely and we were able to just relax and enjoy it without being bothered by anyone else - we lay about on the beach the day we arrived and watched a spectacular sunset, then the following day we hired a scooter from the resort to go sightseeing on the island. The owners also assisted with booking our taxi and ferry tickets to Ko Samui, which was great.

There was a really good menu on offer and we had dinner there both nights, which was only served until 8pm and slightly more expensive than your average restaurant or Thai eatery, but the food was lovely (the roast duck was to die for!) You do pay an extra 7% tax on top of absolutely everything, which is a bit of a drawback, and this was the only place we'd came across that didn't include tax in their room rates, food and drink, so we thought it was a bit strange.

All in all, we had a fantastic couple of days at Phangan Beach Resort, and definitely couldn't let all the little snags take away from the fact that it's a lovely place in an idyllic setting, with clean accommodation, ran by nice people.

Room Tip: Book a beach bungalow instead of a garden one for direct access to the beach, but try and get one aw...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lindsey H
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We absolutely loved Phangan Beach resort, you fall out of your beach hut onto a gorgeous secluded beach! The owners of the place Andy and Dachuk were so friendly and even took us out for a hen/ stag do! Really made us feel like friends rather that guests. The food was gorgeous and really reasonably priced and we loved the beach hut with Sunchai running it, his stories were hilarious! The pool was so nice and cool too with a beautifull view of the beach. The owners helped us with everything from booking flights to even putting photos on CDs, really couldn't fault them. We had a great time and will definitely be going back again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple